Reconcile multiple transactions in one action.

Posting to share possible product improvement for Quicken for Windows (Canada). I have been a satisfied Quicken user since at least 1992. Currently, reconciling downloaded transactions must be done one at a time. Depending on how long I wait to download and reconcile, I may have dozens of transactions for the same payee. For example, I shop at Shoppers Drug Mart and the local convenience store frequently. In this case, the payee, Shoppers or Quick Mart, will appear on numerous transactions in a given period. The payee is the same, the category is the same, only the amount will be different. It sure would be nice to be able to select all of the transactions that have either of these payees at accept in one action. The standard Windows selection scheme of selecting one and using either the Shift or Cntl key to select the rest does not work in the reconcile screen. This feature would make reconciling considerably faster, and therefore, less painful. I hope others agree, and Quicken considers this improvement.
Tagged:
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused, you talk about the reconcile dialog, and then talk about categories, which don't show up in the reconcile dialog.  What's more you say these are downloaded transactions.  Downloaded transactions are marked cleared, and as such already have the green check mark/are selected in the reconcile dialog when it starts.

On top of that at least in the US version "Ctrl" isn't needed because the default action is already to toggle the selection/green check mark/cleared status.  And using Shift for selecting a range works for me.  What's more in the reconcile dialog I can click an drag over transactions to select/deselect them.

I have a feeling with the word "accept" and all the rest thrown in, you are talking about the Downloaded Transactions tab, not the reconcile.

Personally I don't use that so if that is in fact what you are talking about I will let others answer the question.
    I use automatic transaction entry mode where I can use the full power of the register.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • HiFi,ve
    HiFi,ve Member
    Thank you for your reply Chris_QPW. I see there may be some confusion, possibly due to differences between the Canadian and US versions? Or, possibly due to my terminology and specific workflow. In any event, I will try restating my question differently. My workflow in Quicken is to open my register. From there, I select "online centre" (the spelling of centre makes this a uniquely Canadian version :smile: ) and then "update accounts). This brings me to my bank's online webpage where I can select download transactions. These transactions appear in Quicken, in a window below my register. From here, I can highlight one downloaded transaction. This creates an entry in the appropriate account in the Quicken register but the category field is empty if it is a new payee, and filled in if it is not a new payee. I can change the category the transaction is assigned to, or change the date, etc. At this point, I have several actions i can choose from in the downloaded transaction portion of the window. Typically I will select "accept" and the newly entered transaction is marked as "C"leared. When I am done with all downloaded transactions, I select "done" and all "C"leared transactions are marked as "R"econciled. I do not wish to do anything in an auto fashion as there have been too many errors, so I wish to download and accept manually as described. My request is that Quicken allow me to highlight more than one transaction (from the same payee) in the download portion of the window, and accept these with one click of "accept". Currently, I can only select one transaction at a time.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK it is a bit about reconcile, and a bit about what options you have set, this isn't about the differences between the Canadian and US version, even though I might state that most people would just use this icon (or pretty Ctrl+1) to start the update instead of going to the Online Centre (at least on the US version):

You have this option turned off:

So your downloaded transactions are put in (the Downloaded Transactions tab):

Now for the confusion about reconciling.
    You state that you accept the transactions and the clear status gets C, but when you finish it goes to R.
    The only way the reconcile status is going to change like that is if you have automatic reconcile turned on.

So in fact you are doing this part automatically (provided it doesn't fail).
    This is the reconcile dialog, that I was referring to, that you are bypassing.

Now back to the original question/request.
    You basically want this tab/table to work like the register/reconcile dialog.

Well I do know that recently added multiple select here in the US version, but a quick test shows they only enabled the ability to delete transactions while there are multiple transactions selected.

So I guess this thread should be turned into an Idea thread that they might consider implementing this.

My workflow is different in that I have automatic transactions entry on, and as such can already use the register to do things like you are requesting.

With automatic transaction entry mode on it looks like this:

The one category is blank because it was a new payee that I don't have a memorized payee for and purposely have Quicken's automatic categorization guesses off.  For your use case I could select the transactions in question, and then right click and select "Edit Transactions" and this dialog would come up.

After I have review/changed all my new transactions I then start reconcile, which is usually Ctrl+R and then Done.  Note that automatic reconcile and automatic transaction entry modes do not mix.  The automatic reconcile would kick in right after the download, before you could review the "New/New Match" status transactions, and reconcile clears these statuses.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @HiFi,ve,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Anja