I'd like to create a new data file

Trying to clean up after suspected hack. My data file is a mess. Trying to eliminate several years of data I want to start anew on January 1st 2021. I have new banking and credit card accounts as of the first of the year.

I've tried to uninstall Quicken and reinstall but the program keeps picking old account info and transactions. I have the Bobbi Sandberg 2016 Quicken Guide published by McGraw Hill and I am having trouble finding what steps should be taken.

This should be somewhat easy chore, I hope.
Thanks, Dan

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your data file is NOT embedded within the software. It is a separate data file, file type .QDF
    Therefore uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken does not help get rid of an old file.
    You can have as many data files as you need.
    To start a new data file in Quicken click File / New Data File and follow prompts.
    The new data file can (and should be) located in the same folder as your current data file. The default and recommended location is C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken
    Be sure to choose a file name that is different from the name of your current data file (or else you will destroy the current file).
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned - Quicken is just a program and keeps all the data in a Quicken QDF Data file -
    and you can have several different QDF files,
    much like MS Word keeps your text in several different DOC files
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Joshua AH
    Joshua AH Member
    Is there a limit on the number of data files I can maintain? Do they all share one category list, payee list, memorized transaction list, list of accounts or do they use separate ones?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Joshua AH said:
    Is there a limit on the number of data files I can maintain? Do they all share one category list, payee list, memorized transaction list, list of accounts or do they use separate ones?
    There isn't a limit on the number of data files.  Note though only four will show up on the File name in the Recently used list.  But you can either create Windows shortcuts to the data files to directly open them, or use File -> Open in Quicken to open the other data files.

The data files don't share anything other than the Quicken Id/account.  Which is to say if you sync to Mobile/Web that login will have the ability to open any of the data files created.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/