Q won't allow me to delete an online bill. A pop up that says I have pending payments, but I don't.

I have no pending payments but when I try to delete my Columbia Gas online bill a pop-up says it can not be deleted until all pending payments are processed or cancelled. Again, I have NO pending payments for this biller! If the online biller worked I would keep it but it is like the "mobile & web" connection which doesn't work either!!

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Scott Heighton,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken
    To start with, I recommend Validating Online billers. However, I do recommend saving a backup of your data file first (just in case). After that, please navigate to the Bills & Income tab and click on the gear icon on the top-right. Then, click on Validate Online billers in the dropdown menu.

Once that is done, see if it will now allow you to remove the biller.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Scott Heighton
    Scott Heighton Member ✭✭
    edited May 6
    Nope. Still can't remove online bill. I backed up, validated, restarted quicken and it still tells me I can't remove because I have a pending payment. BTW, I can't remove/delete any online bills. I am running Q deluxe V.32.12
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @Scott Heighton

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue although, I apologize that you have not received a response.

Can you please ensure that bill manager is still enabled? This is located under Bills and Income in the gear. If bill manager is already enabled you see the option to "Manage Payment Accounts." 

If you have the option to "Set up Quicken Bill Manager" you will need to enable the bill manager to remove the payment.

Please let me know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Scott Heighton
    Scott Heighton Member ✭✭
    I do not have the option to "set up Q bill manager" when I click on the gear.
  • Scott Heighton
    Scott Heighton Member ✭✭
    I just clicked on update billers and they all updated and I was then able to remove the biller!!! Thanks for the help.
  • Old_Paint
    Old_Paint Member ✭✭
    Here's what's going to happen to yet another thread about Payments to Send that do not exist. The people at Quicken do not know how to solve it, and apparently have some sort of megalomania that makes them think they are better than their users. If you express yourself, your comment will be edited for content (you may even be told you were ranting) or the conversation will be simply closed. The problem will NOT be fixed. The thread will be closed when others start chiming in about Quicken not giving an answer.

But, if I may expand on the symptoms, check what I say and see if you have the same issue, not just a similar one. Similar isn't necessarily the same, and much harder to troubleshoot. I have the ghosted payment to send problem right now. It seems to happen every time there is a quicken update and the target date for payment processing moves. The last time I got REALLY snippy with Quicken, their advise to 'fix' the problem was just to click the No box every time I exited Quicken and got that annoying dialog. Umm, needless to say, my response to that was deleted from the thread as "irrelevant".

I scheduled a payment to be made on my credit card (which I've been paying for roughly 20 years with Quicken) through my bank's bill pay (which is not the same bank as the CC). I check the balance on the card with the so-called one-step update that takes at least 4 clicks to do, and always make a payment entry from my primary checking account for whatever that balance is, and generally speaking, try to schedule it at least two weeks in advance to avoid the 4 day limit that is actually 7 days now. It's nigh on impossible to match the card balance to the current online balance with the payment because of the forced lag. Sometimes, the "Payments to Send" would just magically go away after I'd run the One-Step updates. Turns out, it's not so magic.

What I've found on the last two times it's happened, is that I schedule a payment too close to a weekend, Quicken adjusts the date to a Friday, and then it's too late to send the payment allowing the 4 business days for delivery. If you try to send a payment on Monday to be paid on Friday, I got some bad news for you if you're not paying Quicken for their bill pay service. The payment isn't going to make it on Friday, AND, while Quicken software KNOWS that it's too late, it will still try to send it anyway. Now, if the bank rejects it, and mine will reject ANY payment that doesn't have a FULL 96 hours to process by 0800 on Friday, you'll get a message that the bank rejected EVERY payment in that transaction. However, all of the payments except guilty entry do actually go through. Updating status helps straighten that out, except for the offending payment, which MUST have the date corrected (to the following Monday). But, if you update the status of the valid payments again before correcting the offending one (which is VERY hard to determine from the status summary) you have just created your ghost. Quicken, on the local end, considers a date change to a payment as a payment change, but will indeed re-send the payment, which the bank will happily record. But, since Quicken thinks it's a payment change, the "accepted" flag that comes back from the bank doesn't mean anything to Quicken, so the payment remains in a "Send" state, though it's actually been sent, and Quicken KNOWS it. Again, you've now created your ghost. So now, online payment routines always think there's a payment to send. You'll see the little paper airplane by the offending payment, and the word "Send" instead of "Sent". Anything "SENT" has an envelope, to send has the paper airplane. Go online with your bank's website, you'll see the payment is INDEED scheduled. You can edit the word Send to Sent, but that won't help. It doesn't modify the flag that indicates it really has gone. So how does the ghost send instruction go away? The ghost will remain until the day has passed for the payment to post with the payee, and the Payee has actually claimed the payment from the bank. Then, you will get a payment notice that matches the transaction in your account, and the flag for the aberrant payment will be cleared because it now becomes a CLEARED flag, awaiting reconciliation. So, it seems, rather than actually FIXING the problem, Quicken will still try to enhance our customer experiences to claim better value so they can charge us more money for a product that they refuse to fix. That ANY update I've had has ever changed any feature I would use in Quicken is highly debatable.

Supervalidating is a good idea when Quicken won't start and automatically open your data file. Just hold the shift (or maybe it's Ctrl) when starting Quicken, and it'll start without trying to open the data file. Then, since the file has to be closed anyway, you can run the super validate on it and generally fix a lot of linking errors and aberrant entries. But, you can't fix the ghost. This should be a simple matter of a right click on the flag to update the actual status manually. After all, you can change the status of the transaction to Cleared, Reconciled, or NOT for either. Why not the 'sent' flag that makes the cute little paper airplane on the status

I've used another more complicated method at times to try to correct this problem, with limited success. It has to be done IMMEDIATELY when the Payments to Send buttons pop up after you know you just sent all of them.
    1. Figure out which payment was the offending payment by checking he summary. There are also some transaction logs that you can open with Notepad to view which payment had an error, primarily a date error, which is almost 99.99% the reason this occurs.
    2. Delete the payment from your account ledger in Quicken, but tell it just to do it to your register, not online.
    3. Go online with your bank, and cancel the payment there.
    4. Do an update. Close the file. Exit Quicken, and re-start it.
    5. Update again.
    6. Re-enter the payment, and make sure that it is at least 7 days out before the processing date.

This procedure has resolved the issue a couple times, but not always. I'm thinking the 'not always' situation is when I'm making a payment from my bank and making it look like a transfer to my CC account in a different bank.

Sorry for the long diatribe, but HOPEFULLY, someone will benefit. You have two choices, really. Just poke the No button on the nag screen, or REALLY struggle with Quicken, your bank's online banking, and your data file that wont stop annoying you until the payment finally clears the bank, and comes back to you as a downloaded transacton.