On reconcile, the charges side total doesn't equal the "Cleared Balance amount"

When I reconciled the account, I selected all the transactions that were on my statement and entered in the ending date, charges, payments and ending balance. In the bottom right corner where it shows "Cleared Balance" it doesn't equal the charges I clicked nor the charges from the statement. Please help!

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cleared Balance is the sum of all of the transactions in the register marked as Reconciled and the transactions checked in the Clr column of the reconcile window. 
  • Dianne P
    Dianne P Member
    Not quite. I believe in the past the cleared balance at the bottom right is usually the total of the transactions you mark off in the charges column. If I followed through with it this way I'd have to make a huge adjustment and it's a brand new credit card. This is only the second month of transactions and the first month balanced fine.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5
    Dianne P said:
    Not quite. I believe in the past the cleared balance at the bottom right is usually the total of the transactions you mark off in the charges column. If I followed through with it this way I'd have to make a huge adjustment and it's a brand new credit card. This is only the second month of transactions and the first month balanced fine.
    There hasn't been a change to the definition of the cleared balance in the Reconcile window and it's simple enough to confirm.

As to why you're not able to reconcile the account, I suggest you start by determining whether the sum of all of the transactions in the register marked as Reconciled is equal to the opening balance on the statement.   If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • Dianne P
    Dianne P Member
    Just now scrolling through it again, I see an opening balance in the middle of my transactions that doesn't look correct. Now, I do have two Fidelity credit cards and something could have gotten crossed I suppose. Since it's only for two months, do you think I can unreconcile all the transactions and start over? How will that affect the account? Sounds like I got things really confused. Thanks for your prompt help!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5
    Dianne P said:
    Just now scrolling through it again, I see an opening balance in the middle of my transactions that doesn't look correct. Now, I do have two Fidelity credit cards and something could have gotten crossed I suppose. Since it's only for two months, do you think I can unreconcile all the transactions and start over? How will that affect the account? Sounds like I got things really confused. Thanks for your prompt help!
    As long as you have access to the statements, you may always unreconcile all the transactions and start the reconciliation over.  Changing the Clr column does not affect the account.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Dianne P said:
    Just now scrolling through it again, I see an opening balance in the middle of my transactions that doesn't look correct. 
    Lately there have been reports like this where resetting a Express Web Connect account causes Quicken to insert an Online Balance transaction when it shouldn't.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7893226/opening-balance-being-deleted-when-resetting-account-connection

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • charlenereeves
    charlenereeves Member
    I can't reconcile my account. It is always off by $10. Do I have to redownload my account and start over everytime
  • Dianne P
    Dianne P Member
    Thank you everyone! There was an opening balance stuck in there that was causing it not to balance. I did unreconcile all transactions (only 2 months worth) and rereconcile and everything matched up! I will watch in the future if I have to reset my downloads for opening balance records.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Dianne P you might also like to look at this announcement, it seems like they are releasing a patch that is supposed to fix this problem:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7893464/windows-r33-xx-release

@charlenereeves I suggest you start you own question since yours is different than what in this thread:

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dianne P said:
    Thank you everyone! There was an opening balance stuck in there that was causing it not to balance. I did unreconcile all transactions (only 2 months worth) and rereconcile and everything matched up! I will watch in the future if I have to reset my downloads for opening balance records.

Stay tuned. According to https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7893464/windows-r33-xx-release#latest this problem will be fixed in the upcoming release, in the next few days.