Is there a trick to adding two accounts for one biller (one url/login)?

I have an account with my city for both water and electric. There are two separate account numbers and due at different times, but the login and url is the same for both. Only a single account shows up when I add the biller. No account numbers, just the biller name and message that the next amount due isn't available. I've tried a couple times.

FWIW, I DID have this set up correctly but it got removed with the rest of my billers when trying to validate an issue with Xfinity. I can't remember what/if I did anything particular to get both bills (water, electric) to show up separately.

And as a final note - does ANYONE have an okay experience with bill manager? I've added (and lost) my billers maybe a half dozen times by now and am a little frustrated. Would be a great feature - to see upcoming bills in such a convenient place - if I could get it to work.

Answers

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6
    I assume you would have to give them separate names (city-water, city-sewer) to accomodate two account numbers.  So you actually have two online-billers in Quicken.  The common id & password should not make a difference. 
    As far as an OK bill manager experience, my answer is no.  I spent many months trying to get it working consistently and could never count on the bills being received much less success trying to pay with Quick Pay.  As you probably know some major billers could not be set up and even those that did work initially, eventually stopped working. I finally decided that it created more problems and frustration than manually retrieving the bills.  
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • kkineta
    kkineta Member ✭✭
    edited May 6
    Hmmm. I did originally have them set up that way, but like I said they were nuked when I tried to validate an issue with Xfinity. I couldn't remember how it got them separate.

I finally got it working by deleting and re-adding it so that the during that process it showed both accounts with the option to select them. BUT then I stupidly ran that validation thing on them and POOF gone. Blah.

Re the other part of your reply - yeah, I tried to set up bill paying and then cancelled it without ever managing to use it once. It was an enormous and disappointing mess. Perhaps I'll try again in 6 months or a year. Maybe Quicken will actually get it working. In the meantime if bills due actually download it will be a nice feature to that in one place. I can then continue to pay them via Paytrust which works well enough.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6
    Both my bank and credit union offer bill retrieval.  I tried them both and remarkably, the same billers that wouldn't work in Quicken wouldn't work in either of their systems either.  So, I believe this is much more than just Quicken or it's bill retrieval partner (the same one that provides Quick Pay) fixing a few problems.  Every financial institution has it's own way of providing bills and allowing payments for customers.  There is no standard procedure and every time one of them changes something on their web site, the system fails.  I can still pay all my bills using the bank or CU system, just not retrieve the bills.   I doubt that Quicken will ever be able to do either process effectively as long as their payment process is tied to bill retrieval.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • kkineta
    kkineta Member ✭✭
    > @jrich75 said:
    > So, I believe this is much more than just Quicken or it's bill retrieval partner (the same one that provides Quick Pay) fixing a few problems

You are probably right. I've used Paytrust for over a decade and thinking about it, some billers with online billing don't actually seem to work. I've usually set those to mailed bills which Paytrust scans as part of their service.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have not tried Paytrust but I did use Checkfree for years; when it was accesible via Quicken.  Does Paytrust actually initiate the ACH payments themselves?  The Quick Pay provider tries to make the payments using the billers' websites so that generates a significant uncertainty with all the various biller systems.  I did like being able to pay from within Quicken but just couldn't trust the new Bill Manager to successfully complete the payments.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • kkineta
    kkineta Member ✭✭
    edited May 6
    Yes, I think so. I've never had a single problem with their payments. All very fast, never late or missed. I used to use Checkfree too, a long time ago. The ability to have bills mailed to and scanned by Paytrust has been worth the fee. They recently changed their UI which was already ugly and made it worse, so I thought about checking out quicken's bill manager add-on, which cost the same. Would be really, really nice if it worked well and everything could be in one place, but oh well. I'd use my bank billpay but it actually sucks worse than my experience with Quicken bill manager.