Quicken cannot open the data file because it is in use by another application

Quicken cannot open the data file because it is in use by another application such as cloud storage backup. Please close that application and turn off cloud storage sync and try again.

Best Answer

• jerryfleming2648
    jerryfleming2648 Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    My One Drive screen looks just like the one you displayed

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? Also, have you restarted (not shutdown) your computer lately?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jerryfleming2648
    Yes, I have restarted my computer. I have also shut it down and restarted it. Last sync says JerryQuickenData OFXLOG.DAT Obviously, not a computer expert. Not sure this is what you want
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6
    where is the Quicken QDF data file stored ----
    ... click FILE - and look at the very bottom left of the screen - what's the FULL complete path name

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jerryfleming2648 said: Yes, I have restarted my computer.
    also... we don't usually mark something as ANSWERED unless it totally resolves the problem -
    vs just "answering a series of diagnostic questions"

• jerryfleming2648
    BTW, I am using OneDrive
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, I am using OneDrive
    see my message and screen image above about WHERE your Quicken file is stored -

• Greg_the_Geek
    BTW, I am using OneDrive
    Try Pause Syncing on OneDrive and then run Quicken.
  • jerryfleming2648
    All I see is Quicken is in the Program Files
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Right click on the OneDrive icon in the system drive and choose Pause Syncing.
  • jerryfleming2648
    I see nothing that says Pause Setting
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note that the default place for Quicken data files Documents\Quicken is a bad place for people that are using OneDrive and have elected to use the option to backup their personal folders like Documents.  That puts Documents into OneDrive, and OneDrive will lock the data file when it wants to sync it.
    C:\Users\USERNAME\OneDrive\Documents

The Quicken data file should be moved to a folder outside of Documents like:
    C:\Quicken

In the OneDrive settings:

I use OneDrive in this manner so I have moved my data file to C:\Quicken.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jerryfleming2648
    I have been backing up Quicken to an external drive. Is that ok? However after I back it up it will ask to if I want to sync it. So maybe that is where it is backing it up to OneDrive.????
  • jerryfleming2648
    Accepted Answer
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have been backing up Quicken to an external drive. Is that ok? However after I back it up it will ask to if I want to sync it. So maybe that is where it is backing it up to OneDrive.????
    Backing up to a different/external drive is exactly what you should be doing (as any place won't go away if you lose the drive that Quicken data file is on).

The prompt you describe sounds like you are syncing to Mobile/Web.  This is a limited sync of data used for displaying on Mobile/Web, it isn't a backup, and it isn't OneDrive syncing to the cloud.  You would see that kind of status in the OneDrive's status.

Given that it looks like this you should make sure that you Quicken data file is moved out of Documents\Quicken to a folder like C:\Quicken (which you would create using Windows File Explorer, and use Windows File Explorer to move the data file, and just double click on it to open it in Quicken and let it know where it is now).

You can still use OneDrive a backup, you just shouldn't use it for the file that you open.
    For instance you might have your automatic backups set to go to Documents\Quicken
    And you manual backups go to that external hard drive.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jerryfleming2648
    Thanks folks...finally got it done.