Download transactions starting (Q Mac)

Alan7
Alan7 Member ✭✭
I have an old 2017 transaction which was long deleted from one of my investment accounts. In settings I have set Transaction Downloads to Download transactions starting: (current date). When I update my accounts, this old transaction is back in my register and Transaction Downloads has been reset to Download all transactions. I have tried different dates for the starting date but this always happens. Does this feature just not work?

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @Alan7

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue although, I apologize that you have not received a response. 

The option to set the date on downloaded transactions has varied results as the data depends on the financial institution. The purpose is usually for downloading past transaction history when starting a new account and not perpetual use.

As for the transaction that keeps coming back, what type of transaction is this? Does it differ in any noticeable way from the other transactions?

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Alan7
    Alan7 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your prompt response.

It is an “Add Shares” transaction from March, 2017 and adds 400,000 shares of a similar investment to the one that I actually own, not the same investment.
    This transaction doubles the value of my investment.
    After each download, I need to go down to 2017 and delete it. BTW, this only started after a recent update.
    I have tried adding an entry “Delete Shares”, but then the Add shares transaction changes and doubles the number of shares (800,000 instead of 400,000), therefore getting me back to where I started - the value being double what it should be.

May I ask one other question on reports?

I have been a long time user of Quicken for the Mac, and, while the latest versions of the app have certainly improved, Quicken for the Mac 2007 is, IMHO, still the gold standard.

When is Quicken for the Mac going to be updated to give us Budget vs Actual reports by month and YTD?

This is the most common report used in finance and it is a disgrace that you don’t offer it.

The Budget reports are worthless. You can’t look at different periods and it doesn’t include investments.

At present, I have to download my budget to Excel, then each month download the transaction report and adjust in Excel to get the Month and YTD reports that I use. I understand that this common reporting is available in the windows version and can not understand why it is not a priority. The Community page seems to suggest that this is a common request.

Sorry to bend your ear so much, and again, I appreciate your response to my question.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Alan7 said:
    When is Quicken for the Mac going to be updated to give us Budget vs Actual reports by month and YTD?
    The Quicken budget report does show actual versus budget for each month, and totals for year-to-date. If you're not seeing the year-to-date column, click the "<<" button at the top of the left column:

If you're seeing January to December, click the "v" icon and select year-to-date from the dropdown menu.

Now, the problem with the year-to-date report is that it is always through the end of the current month. Today is May 9, so most people would want to see is actual versus budget through April 30, not actual through May 9 versus budget through May 30. the actual versus budget is only truly accurate on the last day of each month (and then, only if every transaction for the month has posted). This is a pretty stupid shortcoming of Quicken Mac currently, and hopefully the developers will address this before too long. Meanwhile, you can export the budget to a spreadsheet, eliminate the months you don't want, and build a sum of the months you keep for both actual and budget; it's annoying to have to do this workaround outside Quicken, but it doesn't take long at all.

Alan7 said:
    The Budget reports are worthless. You can’t look at different periods and it doesn’t include investments.
    You can include investment income in your budget; have you added these categories in Edit Budget? 

That said, there is a bug with some investment data not populating in the budget. Reinvested dividends show up in the budget, but dividends paid in cash do not. I don't know why; it appears to be a bug, and has been reported to the developers.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Alan7
    Alan7 Member ✭✭
    Belated Thank you for your response. I agree that the Budget can include Investment transactions, but, at least for me, the actual transactions are not included in the budget report. I just don't understand why, after 5 or more years, we can't get a monthly and YTD Actual vs Budget report.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alan7 said:
    Thank you for your prompt response.

It is an “Add Shares” transaction from March, 2017 and adds 400,000 shares of a similar investment to the one that I actually own, not the same investment.
    This transaction doubles the value of my investment.
    After each download, I need to go down to 2017 and delete it. BTW, this only started after a recent update.
    I have tried adding an entry “Delete Shares”, but then the Add shares transaction changes and doubles the number of shares (800,000 instead of 400,000), therefore getting me back to where I started - the value being double what it should be.

Did you ever get that phantom transaction resolved?
    To me as a Quicken for Windows user this reeks of a "Placeholder transaction" situation. Comparing Holdings in Quicken with holdings reported by the brokerage indicates a discrepancy, hence a placeholder transaction is created. You need to figure out what exactly happened on that date in 2017 and record an appropriate transaction. Was it an exchange A for B, a corporate name change, something else?

• Alan7
    Alan7 Member ✭✭
    Not resolved. When I delete after every download, the account reconciles with my investment as to number of shares and value.