My quicken is very slow for entering, updating transactions, entering information... No solution?

My quicken is very slow for entering or editing transactions etc. I have the must recent updates. My computer is fast enough, or it used to be several months ago. Windows 10, Problem is with all accounts. I have tried items suggested in the forum (archive investments, closed old accounts, etc) but nothing has helped. All the discussions on the topic that I have seen have been closed, but without resolution. I see suggestions and guesses but no solutions. Does anyone have a solution to this problem that has worked?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @pegloor,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version release of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

To start with, if you haven't already, I suggest you try to Validate your data file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Validate and Repair...
    4. Select Validate file
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 3) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • pegloor
    pegloor Member ✭✭
    Quicken Deluxe
    • Version R32.12
    • Build: 27.1.32.12
    Windows 10 Home
    Actions.
    • Backed up
    • Validate and repair.
    • Close and re open.
    Result
    • No errors found as reported in the Data log.
    • No appreciable improvement in performance when manually entering a new transaction.
    Actions.
    • Backed up
    • Super Validate and repair.
    • Close and re open.
    Result.
    • QDF: Validating your data. No errors.
    • QEL: No read errors.
    • QEL: All internal consistency checks passed.
    • No appreciable improvement in performance when manually entering a new transaction.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • pegloor
    pegloor Member ✭✭
    The file is on my solid state hard drive, not in the cloud. I doubt the communication could be any faster.
  • pegloor
    pegloor Member ✭✭
    I have used Quicken for many years, and the file is 156 MB. I do not know if that is large or not by Quicken standards, but I thought I would pass that along as it might be useful.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 9
    But are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google backup.
    And what's the full path to your Q data file.
    You didn't answer @Greg_the_Geek's questions.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • pegloor
    pegloor Member ✭✭
    The file is on my solid state hard drive, not in the cloud. I doubt the communication could be any faster. C:\users\myname\myfilename.qdf
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Is you data file ACTUALLY named "myfilename"? Q frequently has problems with file names that contain spaces, special characters or are long.  The old, traditional, 8.3 filename convention (filename.QDF) works best.
    And no one asked if your file was in the cloud.   We asked if you are using those specific services in any manner.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭
    You may also benefit by doing a Quicken data file copy (not a Windows copy). File > File Operations > Copy
  • pegloor
    pegloor Member ✭✭
    Ok, I did a quicken data file copy as suggested by UserDavidC and I used a simple file name as suggested by NotACPA. Unfortunately the speed of entering transactions has not improved.

Sorry, I did not realize that Greg_The_Geek was asking 2 questions (one about file path, and one about using OneDrive, Google or drop box). I thought that Greg was asking if my files were somewhere other than on my personal computer. So, my original path is "C:\Users\Paul\Gloor Quicken 2021-04-23.QDF", but I have since simplified the file name per NotACPA. I do use OneDrive and Google Drive, but not Dropbox.
  • pegloor
    pegloor Member ✭✭
    I shut down Google backup/sync and OneDrive, but do not see a change in Quicken performance.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete path and file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed? How much of the available RAM is in use? Task Manager will give you this information. 80% or higher?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- File Information: Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only.

To attach the image here please review

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac