Some of my transactions don't register correctly. (Q Win Canada)

When I enter a payment manually from my checking account to my credit card account the transaction shows up in the CC account but the dollar amount vanishes. When I correct the dollar amount on the CC account the dollar amount vanishes from my checking account.

I have repeated this procedure multiple times and always a number in one account deletes the number in the other account. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong. I have never noticed this happening before.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    HOW are you inputting that CC payment?  It should be a transfer from your checking acct to the CC account.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • I do all my transactions by hand, because I don't like the automated downloads. I entered the credit card payment in my chequing account, the transaction them transfers automatically to the credit card account, minus the dollar amount.

The account that I used to charge the payment to is the name of the credit card. The transaction goes to the correct place but without the dollar amount. I have tried manually reentering the dollar amount in the CC account but doing so deletes the dollar amount from the original chequing account entry.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's bad. You may have data corruption. Try the troubleshooting procedure "Fourth, Copy your file and Validate" as described on this page.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window (register view including column headers and transactions showing the issue), sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• This is a cropped screen shot of my checquing account.
  • This is a screen shot of my credit card account.

The $1300 payment was made after a major computer crash and after the Windows resolution the problem persists.
  • If I correct the $0 entry then the amount changes to zero in the other account.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for providing images of those transactions.
    Looks to me as if @Rocket J Squirrel 's assumption of data file damage is correct.
    Working from your Chequing account, editing the 3 transfer transactions and saving them again should update the transaction amount in the credit card account. If it doesn't, please perform Step (2) of Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems and, if that still doesn't resolve the problem, then delete the broken transactions from both accounts and reenter them.
  • I keep repeating this, "When I change the figures in the CC account, it deletes the figures in the chequing account. When I again correct the figures in the chequing account it deletes the figures in the CC account."

This doesn't happen in any other of my accounts. This CC account is new. I started it in February but only noticed the issue in April so I don't know for sure that it is more recent than that.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just from the looks of it in your submitted image,  the transaction in your Chequing account, using Category = [Costco Capitol One] is correctly set up as a linked transfer transaction.
    If you make changes to it in either of the two registers, the change (or deletion) should also be reflected in the linked other account register.
    It appears to me that the reported problem is caused by data file corruption. Theoretically, following the file validation procedure in the above Troubleshooting 101 should help resolve the issue. First, however, delete the bad transactions in both account registers.
    BTW, what is your Quicken version and release? R 28.15? Click Help / About Quicken to get this information.
This discussion has been closed.