Has the ability to continue using the FDS Channel for Express Web Connect been taken away?

jaws2
jaws2 Member ✭✭
@Quicken Anja "

Quicken appears to have forced me back to the QCS Channel and holding F4 while clicking Help/About Quicken no longer takes me to where I can switch it back.

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    That change came about with the recent update to R33.19.  There's been no announcement that I know of but Quicken seemed to be determined to move everybody off FDS.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    That change came about with the recent update to R33.19.  There's been no announcement that I know of but Quicken seemed to be determined to move everybody off FDS.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just so I don't have repeat what I have already said on the subject please see this thread:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20178156
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 10
    Thanks @Tom Young Hopefully they have worked out the shortcomings of QCS. The amount of time it takes me to verify if the updates did or did not work via QCS pretty much makes the download of data from those accounts useless. Its frustrating and tedious as Quicken sometimes updates the date/time of last download and sometimes not. I've found no consistency of why it does and does not. And I never receive the Update Summary showing errors anymore even though I know they exist.

PS - I have been a Quicken user (windows) since 1987 so I am no newbie.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jaws2 said:
    Update Summary showing errors anymore even though I know they exist.

I don't know the current state of this, but early on during the switch to QCS it was found that now all the download activity was in the Cloud Sync log (and still is), and even though errors were being reported in that log, Quicken wasn't picking them up.  Most likely because an scanning for errors wasn't moved to that log from the OFX log.

I do know that I'm still seeing lots of posts of people stating that they are not getting errors, but also not getting their transactions.  The normal suggestion to that seems to be log out and back in.
    Signature:
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    As for the no date/time of last update, I found that using Reset account resolves that issue. Especially after this last update; I had to Reset all of my EWC accounts.  Word of caution, Opening Account Balance transaction was messed up on a couple of the accounts that were reset and I needed to fix them by entering the correct amount and in one case the date.
  • jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks @markus1957 - For me it works for a couple of days, then doesn’t and then does again. Also, it either works for all 4 of my Express Web Connect Accounts or none of them (not just one account here or there. ) So I’m not optimistic that is going to do the trick. Besides, periodically I have had to reset some of these accounts just to get them to download any transactions since express Web Connect is haphazard at best.

Thanks to you as well @Chris_QPW. I have tried logging out of Quicken and back in to no avail many times. It’s actually been some months since errors stopped showing up. My educated guess is it happened when I was forced over to QCS the first time last year. Even though @Quicken Anja " helped be get back temporarily to FDS which helped on the reliability of getting transactions downloaded, I still never received errors when it didn’t (nor did it fix the issue of the date and time of the last successful download for Express Web Connect accounts.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom Young said:
    Hi @""Tom Young" ,

The change occurred with the update to R32.12 and not R33.19.
    The Change would never make it in the Release Notes, because Users should never have known about using the F4 Function Key in the first place.

But, there seems to be a Major Bug with QCS. If a user, downloads transactions and did something wrong. They restore their last Manual Backup. Go and use One Step Update and no transactions are downloaded to the Restored Quicken Data File. I have reported this situation, Whether or not, it was fixed, I have not since tried it. Only affects Express Web Connect protocol, not Direct Connect.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R33.24  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21390.1010
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19043.1052

Note: Holding Down the Shift Key or Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when clicking About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In my personal opinion Express web connect has always been flaky but it's even more so lately and I have to believe that it has something to do with the changes that they did for QCS.

@markus1957 That is interesting about the reset still messing with the opening balance of some of your accounts because if you look at the release notes that is exactly what one of the fixes was supposed to address.
    Signature:
  • jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 10
    @thecreator - perhaps one of many bugs I’m afraid. When this program works it’s great! Just need it to not work less often.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @thecreator I'm sorry to disagree with you but the change was in r33.19.  this morning I noticed that I have been switched to QCS.  So I ran the are 32.12 patch and was able to switch back.

It does look like we are really close to the end of being able to do that and they totally force QCS.

As for all the possible problems I think the simple answer is look at sync to mobile/web it's the same thing so you should expect the possibility of the same kind of problems.

Which means transactions change statuses changed restore from backups causing problems you name it it probably will happen after all it already has happened in the past for sync to mobile/web.

And frankly in my opinion not getting your transactions it's probably the least of your problems that Express web connect can cause.
    Signature:
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 12
    Full disclosure, the reset was required using the last beta update.  I updated to production and did not experience the issue. Maybe they did fix it; but that would have been a pretty quick turn around. Given that only a few days elapsed, I assumed they just reissued the last beta for the production release. I have been running both a new file for testing and my production file.

adding- based on the comment below, the opening balance issue has not been fixed.  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20179489/#Comment_20179489
  • jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 10
    @thecreator and @Chris_QPW i think essentially you are both correct. I was forced to QCS with R32.12 but was able to switch back. Now with R33.19 I was forced to QCS again but the option to switch back was removed in that release. I really don’t care which I have to use. Just want it to be one that works as reliably as possible given that, by nature, Express Web Connect is difficult to maintain with websites that seem to change daily for no real beneficial reason. Direct connect is the ultimate answer but I have 4 institutions (5 if your include PayFlex which just gave up all together) that won’t make the leap for whatever reason.

I have not experience @thecreator ’s problem even though I have had to restore from backup sometimes. Perhaps it’s because I’m not using Mobile/Sync.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    So is this loss of ability to switch/use FDS related to the vague "New" item they refer to in the release notes, or is that New item something else completely (and does anyone know what that is)?
    - Q Win Deluxe user since 2010, US Subs R32.12
    - I don't use Sync, Cloud, Mobile, Web, Bill Pay/Mgr, Tax
    - Techie, Win10 Pro x64 21H1
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW just in case you haven't seen this, here is a thread I started with "some" of the pitfalls of QCS.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882641/qcs-express-web-connect-is-cloud-sync
    Signature:
  • jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭
    @BK that “New” item does not appear to impact this discussion (yet) as it only relates to new data files. But to say it’s scary to think there is something new again coming instead of fixing the current new thing is an understatement.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it really hard to tell what they mean in that release note given it is so vague.

I wonder if it is tied to this question that they are refusing to answer:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7890154/sync-from-quicken-on-the-web-to-newly-installed-quicken-desktop-mac

You notice in this thread that new users (there are other such threads) have somehow created new accounts/categories/budgets from Quicken Web before they ever created a Desktop data file.  Also that the Moderators will not say anything, and it seems even have convinced the "new user" not to say anything most likely because it would be deleted and them banned or something.
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    jaws2 said: ... But to say it’s scary to think there is something new again coming instead of fixing the current new thing is an understatement.
    Agree @jaws2 .  Since handful of my accounts are EWC unfortunately, I will ride the R32.12 as long as I can and reevaluate year end.

- Q Win Deluxe user since 2010, US Subs R32.12
    - I don't use Sync, Cloud, Mobile, Web, Bill Pay/Mgr, Tax
    - Techie, Win10 Pro x64 21H1
  • jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I don't know the current state of this, but early on during the switch to QCS it was found that now all the download activity was in the Cloud Sync log (and still is), and even though errors were being reported in that log, Quicken wasn't picking them up.  Most likely because an scanning for errors wasn't moved to that log from the OFX log.
    >
    > I do know that I'm still seeing lots of posts of people stating that they are not getting errors, but also not getting their transactions.  The normal suggestion to that seems to be log out and back in.

@Chris_QPW An update on this - In trying to find a solution to the date/time of last update not showing I came across a thread from last year you participated in that talked about that information being held in a separate file (C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\FILENAME\runtime.dat) and that deleting that file so it is rebuilt on next Transaction Update might resolve it. After backing up my file, I gave it a shot. While it did not help in adding the last date/time of transaction downloads I was pleasantly surprised to find that I received proper error messages in the Update Summary for the first time since sometime last year. Go figure!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jaws2 Thanks for the information, maybe I might be able to pass that on to someone else in the future.
    Signature:
  • jimmcd01
    jimmcd01 Member ✭✭
    Adding my voice to the issue that we seem to have been forced to QCS with no option to return to FDS. That change has made downloads slower, with limited status information, including a lack of update date/time information in the account list. Also have one account (Macy's) that refuses to update or reset no matter what I try. Have tried the runtime.dat deletion suggestion, but to no avail. Once again, I am being forced to investigate alternative products, as Quicken is apparently incapable of resolving this issue. A Very Frustrated Customer.
  • mcnabb0579
    mcnabb0579 Member
    Another voice with concerns. I also can't switch to FDS which was needed for one of my banks (Credit Union).
    I only have the option of Express Web Connect and no transactions are downloaded. I have been resetting my account each time to get the transactions but it shouldn't be this way (Especially since it has messed up my opening balance on occasion). I wonder if Quicken can or will fix this. It's almost useless the way it is.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going repost my comments from another similar thread here.

I haven't got 33.19 yet but, well we knew this day was coming.  Quicken Inc has said all along that they are going to QCS and the ability to switch back to FDS is only temporary.

I personally have been working towards this day.  I have reduced the number of accounts that can potentially used Express Web Connect from 4 accounts to 2 and have switched to manually updating one of them which for the most part only has a monthly interest deposit.

That leaves the Macy's credit card that my wife really wants, but doesn't really have much the way of transactions.  When I get 33.19 I will probably deactivate that one too and either have my wife manually enter the transactions (since she is the only one that knows when that happens, and I'm not going to check the website everyday or so).  Or maybe will just take it completely out of Quicken.  I already maintain a buffer amount in my checking account that will more than pay any of the Macy's monthly payments, which are set to automatically be withdrawn from that checking account.

BTW I'm still seeing "sync errors" reported that seem to be from the QCS system, like:
    "I download and get no errors, but no transactions download."
    "The online balance/date isn't up to date after I download my transactions, even though I do get transactions.  I have to do Update Now from the account to get the online balance/date to update."

Well, I just updated to R33.19 and sure enough hidden hot key for switching between QCS and FDS is gone.
    But I notice that my one Express Web Connect account (Macy's credit card) is in fact still in FDS mode for now.
    You can tell by seeing that the gold key icon on the One Step Update settings dialog is not there or by looking at the OFX log (Help -> Log Files... -> OFX Log).  QCS reports its activity in the Cloud Sync Log.

If you aren't in FDS mode you can install the Release 32.12 patch and then do it.  But this is definitely going to be temporary.  Plan accordingly.
    Quicken Patches - QuicknPerlWiz

Signature:
  • jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭
    > @jimmcd01 said:
    > Adding my voice to the issue that we seem to have been forced to QCS with no option to return to FDS. That change has made downloads slower, with limited status information, including a lack of update date/time information in the account list. Also have one account (Macy's) that refuses to update or reset no matter what I try. Have tried the runtime.dat deletion suggestion, but to no avail. Once again, I am being forced to investigate alternative products, as Quicken is apparently incapable of resolving this issue. A Very Frustrated Customer.

@jimmcd01 - I also download from Macy's. I successfully downloaded yesterday but it does not work today. I believe that issue is separate and probably on Macy's end. It happens quite often with them but they eventually resolve it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12
    jaws2 said:

@jimmcd01 - I also download from Macy's. I successfully downloaded yesterday but it does not work today. I believe that issue is separate and probably on Macy's end. It happens quite often with them but they eventually resolve it.
    I just tried my update of Macy's and sure enough it throw a CC-502 error, and I'm using FDS.
    So this is just the standard Express Web Connect unreliability.  On average when I had a two Express Web Connect accounts I would have a problem about every two months.  Now with only Macy's it gone for a few months without any problems, so was sort of "due".  This is the nature of Express Web Connect.

EDIT:
    Note that trying Update Now from the register didn't change anything.  And Resetting the connection also threw an error.  So Macy's is in "wait until they fix it mode" like @jaws2 pointed out.
    Signature:
  • LarryInSeattle
    LarryInSeattle Member ✭✭
    I also have this issue. My Quicken Delux updated to ver 33.22 yesterday (5/21), and since the update I have lost the ability to update accounts that use Express Connect. When I do the one step update it shows the progress for each account, but only accounts using Direct Connect are successfully updated. I get no OSU error report. I can still go to my financial institution on the web, download a QFX file, and update manually. Also in reading the other comments on this thread I attempted to switch to the FDS connection, but apparently this option is no longer available. Is a fix in the works? Please!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth my Macy's credit card started working a few days after my last post.  And it works in both QCS and FDS modes.
    Signature: