Portfolio access problem with Update R32.10 (Q Win Canada)

Immediately after installing Update R32.10 on my Canadian version of Quicken Home & Business, trying to access Investing/Portfolio crashed Quicken and shut it down. Trying again using Investing/Portfolio Icon or Investing Tab alternately produced the same result.
I contacted Quicken Support and we spent a great deal of time trying to solve the problem, but to no avail (see Ticket T1-IN – 8529627).
We did all the steps mentioned in the ticket.
We reinstalled Quicken from scratch.
We sanitized data files.
We did File/File operations/Validate and Repair.
We tried to access Portfolio using an empty test file instead of my main file.
We also tried with older versions (backups) of my main file (more than 1 month old).
The agent then suggested I revert to R28.15 to see if Quicken worked normally using that build, and it did (as it still does).
The agent then concluded that the problem was definitely caused by R32.10.
He told me he would report it to the developers, and that I should try updating again about 7-10 days later in order to give them time to fix the bug.
That was about 3 weeks ago.
So, I tried to run the Update again this morning, only to find that I can no longer access Portfolio. Quicken crashed again.
I therefore contacted support once more, and the agent told me to revert to R28.15 and to report the problem using Quicken Help/Report a problem, and to also post the case on the community so the moderators can check about it too.
I then reverted to R28.15, and everything works fine with that version.
But that does not solve the R32.10 issue, hence this report.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Pitaraj

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I have been unable to recreate this crashing in my version of Quicken. To clarify, did you still experience this issue when creating a test file?

Are you able to navigate to a brokerage account or anywhere in the investment tab just not the portfolio? The more information you can provide the better able to assist the Community will be.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Pitaraj
    Pitaraj Member
    Like I said, we tried test files as well as older copies (backups) of my main file and we got the same result. All steps are detailed above.

Also as explained above, as soon as I install R32.10, clicking on the Investing/Portfolio Icon or on the Investing Tab crashes Quicken and shuts it down. And as soon as I revert to R28.15, everything works perfectly fine again with current main file, test files and older backups.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Pitaraj

Thank you for the clarification and for confirming that you continue to experience this issue in a brand new test file. May I ask that you please navigate to Help > Report a Problem and report this issue.

Please include a sanitized data file in this report for testing. I have taken a look at the case and I do not see that this information was submitted. Once this report has been submitted please let me know so this issue can be investigated further.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Pitaraj
    Pitaraj Member
    I already reported the problem through Help including all files.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13
    Hello @Pitaraj

Thank you for the response. I have reviewed your feedback submission and while I see log files. I do not see a sanitized data file.

This is located at the top of the list. This needs to be selected and is not selected automatically.

The sanitized data file is important as this cannot be created in-house. The file will be used to confirm and investigate the issue.

May I also ask that you confirm which language your computer is set to? 

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Pitaraj
    Pitaraj Member
    I just sent the Report once more with the Sanitized data file and the file describing the problem.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Pitaraj

Thank you for the response and for providing the file. During in-house testing,  the sanitized data file is able to open to the portfolio view as expected.

This points to the issue being system-related and will require additional troubleshooting to isolate further. Can you please confirm the region your computer is running?

Quicken may have trouble running in different languages/regions. Please let me know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Pitaraj
    Pitaraj Member
    I run Quicken from Montreal (Quebec) Canada on a top of line Dell computer based on Windows 10 Home build 19042.985 (French version).
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Pitaraj

Thank you for the response and confirmation.  According to the FAQ here, Quicken is currently only available in English.

To confirm this is the issue, can you try to change the Region to "English/United States?" Once this has been changed, you will need to update to the current release here.

I would then test and see if you can successfully navigate to the portfolio without crashing. Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Pitaraj
    Pitaraj Member
    Quicken has only been offered in English ever since you stopped developing the French version, and I never had a problem with that (other than deploring your abandoning the French version). As for your suggestion, I can't use the US version because of income tax, sales tax and investment fonctionalities specific to Canada.
  • Pitaraj
    Pitaraj Member
    I also don't want to set up my computer's region (even temporarily) to English/US because all my applications are configured to work with French-Canadian input and output devices, fonts, keyboard, printer and all. To further illustrate that point, I can't even set my computer to use France's French without running in all sorts of problems.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14
    Hello @Pitaraj

Thank you for the response and additional details. Unfortunately, this crash is due to a failure in system requirements. Although the program ran successfully on the previous version and it no longer does now, while it is frustrating, the system requirements were the same for the two versions.

As this issue is an unsupported configuration I do not have any further troubleshooting steps I can offer to correct this issue.

It is possible that another user with a similar issue may have a workaround to offer and will hopefully comment. Otherwise, you may need to stay on the previous version. I apologize for not having better news at this time.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Pitaraj
    Pitaraj Member
    If the system requirements are exactly the same for both versions and absolutely nothing has changed on my part between the two versions, then the issue should not have anything to do with my "configuration". What we have to find out is what specific changes made to R32.10 somehow have an impact on Investing or Portfolio management.

For your information, I have been using Quicken in that very same environment ever since it replaced Microsoft Money as the best financial management solution on the market back in the 80's, and I never had any localisation-related problem before.
  • Pitaraj
    Pitaraj Member
    May I add that there is nothing unique about my "configuration". Canada has 2 official languages, and I just happen to be one of millions of French-Canadian users of computers and software of all sorts. Whether a specific application is in English or in French does not keep one from using it on a computer configured for French-Canadian. I personally use many other software that are only available in English, and that does not pose any problem.
  • Pitaraj
    Pitaraj Member
    12 days without any reply! Have you abandoned me? Again, I've been a Quicken user ever since it was first launched and you never gave up on an issue before you found the actual cause and corrected it. What could have changed between R32.10 and R28.15 that could explain the instantaneous unaccessability of the Portfolio? I always ran every update before without any problem. Now as soon as I update from R28.15 to R32.10, Portfolio crashes. And as soon as I revert to R28.15, it works fine again. Isn't obvious to you that the problem originates from some specific change between the 2?