Are there any tools to repair a Quicken Data File?

Every month my PC reboots to install Security Updates. Most of the time when it reboots, Quicken is still running. I have never had an issue until now. Today (after my computer rebooted) when I opened Quicken it immedaately started Validating my data file. I received a Validation Complete message. Then I received the follwoing message: "Quicken cannot open the data file because it is damaged."

Are there any tools to repair QDF files?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Lance_walton
    Lance_walton Member
    Sherlock, Yes I already did that. It was not helpful.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The first thing in the article was restoring from a backup.
    That didn't help?
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be a good idea to take control of the Windows Update process and run it only when you can be sure that Quicken has been closed.
    And Quicken (Edit / Preferences / Backup) should be configured so that it creates both an Automatic and a Manual Backup every [1] times you close Quicken.
  • QuickRick
    QuickRick Member
    edited May 4
    Could we focus on how to repair the damaged file and not resort to suggesting what we might do to prevent the damage from occurring some time in the future? I have documented that Quicken's Super Validation process does not work, or at least does not actually do what the log file it creates suggests that it is doing. Anyone who wants to review the process with me, will probably come to the same conclusion. I have just spent several hours with Quicken support personnel who tell me that the only way they can address the problem is to have me run a Year End process that leaves all the data prior to the year end in some abbreviated format with a source file for reference should one need to see prior detail. I've used Quicken going all the way back to its DOS days. I have no desire to dissect my data file to identify corrupted data and Quicken offers no utilities to identify and remove corrupted data or to rebuild indexes that are damaged by reference to corrupted data.[Removed - Speculation/Solicitation]
  • malloysa
    malloysa Member
    QuickRick - Feeling your pain; been with Quicken for years... and suddenly my files are damaged and cannot be repaired. I called Quicken and we got cut off about a minute into the conversation.
This discussion has been closed.