How do I recapture my 2007 for Windows after a computer death?

I have been using a 2007 pirate copy since 2007, but my desktop died, and I lost Quicken. My son reinstalled the disk, but it's asking some weird questions and won't let me in. I called my bank; they were remarkably rude and refused to help me. They said no one in the department understands a 2007 Quicken, and they don't want me to use it. I called Quicken, and they said they don't support the 2007 version. I told them I don't want their support. I just want what I had. I don't want fancy stuff; I just want to write checks and balance my bank statement every month. I'm an 83 year old woman whose husband just died, and I need simplicity and the ability to monitor my spending. Please help! I also have a 2019 copy, but it's far, far, far too complex -- asking for things i don't have, things I don't want, things I don't want to know. It's virtually asking me to build a computer from twigs and leaves and then bring it to life.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a backup of your  2007 data?   Try this......
    You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013. 

You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mentioned you had a copy of Quicken 2019 (aka Quicken Subscription) for Windows. Installing and using this version on your replacement computer would turn you into a supported customer, provided that you keep your subscription up-to-date.
    However, before you can do this, you need to install an intermediate version of Quicken following this procedure:

http://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

And if you read the fine print of this procedure, you will find that Quicken offers a free version of Quicken 2013 Deluxe. It's not supported, either, but it's also not restricted. It will allow you continue using Quicken without all the bells and whistles of the subscription version. If you have a backup of your Q 2007 data files, you'll be able to restore it and convert using the above procedure and resume where you left off.
  • Hawkins
    Hawkins Member
    I think I shot myself in the foot with my original question. More problems have arisen then I anticipated. Let me clarify. My computer died and took Quicken with it. I have the original disk, so my son reloaded the software onto the new computer. My husband originally loaded it and set it up for me, so I know nothing of that part of the process. My husband died a few weeks ago, so my mind is a shambles, but I'm trying to reconstruct the system I had before. Quicken refuses to help me, refers me to my bank. Bank refuses to help me, refers me to Quicken. When I try to follow the instructions on the disk, there is a question about who is my bank. I answered it, the it asks for branch ID. I called Wells Fargo and was told they've never heard of a branch ID and don't know what I'm talking about. When I don't provide a branch ID, I get ERROR and can go no farther. I don't understand why my Quicken software would be communicating with my bank. The only function I'm interested in is: I manually enter deposits and withdrawals and manually write checks. Then I check my work against the paper statement from the bank at the end of the month. That is ALL I've ever done and ALL I want now. But but I can't get signed into the Quicken because there are so many obstacles. All this time I have used Quicken as similar to Excel wherein I enter information and delete information as needed. That's all I want, all I need, all I understand. Am I just out of gas?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The answers given up to this point assumes that what you would be doing it getting the existing data file (in Quicken 2007 it is actually a set of files) and load that into Quicken.  That data file would either be recovered from the disk of the old machine or from a backup on something like a USB drive.

If you don't have that then you are going to be starting from scratch.  And this seems like what you are doing, but when you go to create an account you are going down the path to setup an online account, and that is why it is asking for the bank information. 

The way you create a manual entry/offline account is pretty hidden in Quicken 2007.

Select this option I have indicated and then Next.

Select the correct account then and then Next.

Change name if you like, and then Next.

Put in the last statement date and balance (where you want to start entering transactions), and then select Done.

After that you should be taken to that account register so you can start entering transactions.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawkins said:
    I think I shot myself in the foot with my original question. More problems have arisen then I anticipated.
    Sorry to read about your situation.  
    The Quicken program is separate from the Quicken data file - much like your MS Excel program and the XLS files.
    I would basically suggest that your son do all the work..... since he already tried -
    Lastly , if you are just wanting a simple check register - take a look at the Quicken totally online offering - Simplifi -

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.