"Renaming rule" box is not appearing as it should.. cannot rename downloaded payees

This is the pop-up screen that appears when I try to create a renaming rule. Shouldn't it say "If the payee contains...." "Then change to..." I am using Quicken Deluxe Version R32.12. I have tried selecting a payee and using the instrux in the box, but it doesn't work.

Can anyone help?? :'(

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Renaming rules are only applied when downloading transactions.  They aren't applied to existing transactions.  To change existing transactions in a register use Find and Replace (Ctrl+H).

To check if the renaming rule actually got added check the existing renaming rules by going to Tools -> Renaming Rules.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    You're showing the "updated" version of the dialog.  The "after" is now shown first ("Change Payee to":) and the "before" is shown 2nd.  I.E., the reverse of the prior method.
    Not a good change, in my opinion, but it is what it is.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • ShellyMMM
    ShellyMMM Member
    Still not really getting this. I go to the downloaded payee name in the credit card account, and a down arrow offers me "Renaming Rules." I select this and up pops the dialog box. So I have filled in the name I want on first line (Change payee to:) and on 2nd line type in how it already appears ("What Quicken renames payee").

However, Quicken instrux on this topic say that the dialog box should say: "If the downloaded payee name contains this text:" and then a field that says "Change payee name to:"

That makes sense, but this other dialog box doesn't. Why isn't it appearing as it says in the instrux??

Am I doing the right thing as described in my first paragraph?? I am dubious that my payee name is getting changed. It doesn't change in the credit card account after I fill in the dialog box.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Renaming rules are only applied when downloading transactions.  They aren't applied to existing transactions.  To change existing transactions in a register use Find and Replace (Ctrl+H).

To check if the renaming rule actually got added check the existing renaming rules by going to Tools -> Renaming Rules.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/