Alliant CU downloads partial transactions

I just received my recent statement from Alliant for my VISA card. OF the 74 transaction on the statement, 28 of them were never downloaded. No error messages have been received although occasionally Alliant asks if I've changed my password. I've read all the problems others have had and tried some of the suggested fixes with no luck. I have been having this problem going on one year now and have no problem with any of my other accounts. I'm giving them until October 1 when my renewal is up. There are plenty of other credit cards out there that would want my business.

Best Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer

Hello @borntohike

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues downloading from Alliant CU. I'm wondering here if you've tried reestablishing the connection in the year you've tried troubleshooting? It's quite a long time to be having issues. I'll leave steps on deactivating the account and getting it reconnected down below.

First we'll try deactivating all of the accounts for the affected FI. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.

https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3216277

Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know what you find.  From there we'll better understand our next steps.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Quicken Francisco
    Accepted Answer
    @borntohike

It can vary FI to FI but it sonuds like prior to this you did have issues pop up more frequently with Alliant. I'm wondering here were you able to get it working then? Ideally you should of gotten all your missing transactions so the register looks correct. 

Please let us know so that we're able to troubleshoot further if needed.

Thanks.
    Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Accepted Answer

Hello @borntohike

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues downloading from Alliant CU. I'm wondering here if you've tried reestablishing the connection in the year you've tried troubleshooting? It's quite a long time to be having issues. I'll leave steps on deactivating the account and getting it reconnected down below.

First we'll try deactivating all of the accounts for the affected FI. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.

https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3216277

Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know what you find.  From there we'll better understand our next steps.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• borntohike
    borntohike Member
    Yeah, I forgot about that. I have had to do that many times and it worked. I just don't understand why this has to be done often with Alliant. I do not have this problem with any other financial institution.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Accepted Answer
    @borntohike

It can vary FI to FI but it sonuds like prior to this you did have issues pop up more frequently with Alliant. I'm wondering here were you able to get it working then? Ideally you should of gotten all your missing transactions so the register looks correct. 

Please let us know so that we're able to troubleshoot further if needed.

Thanks.
    Quicken Francisco
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to do a little research, access the OFXlog file in Quicken (Help / Log Files), then search backwards from the bottom for the downloaded transaction detail. See if you can locate a couple of those problem transactions. I suspect that they were transmitted, but were mismatched to other, similar transactions instead of generating new transactions.

Transaction download problems with matching and adding new transactions correctly

First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings can be found for the detection and processing of transfer transactions in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your registers?

If you are relying on Quicken to "automagically" fill your account registers from downloaded transactions, you may run into problems. Despite all efforts by the Quicken programmers, the "Autopilot" (that's my name for the part of the Quicken program which processes downloaded transactions and converts them into new register transactions) is not infallible. For that process to work 100% of the time one would need a crystal ball because the information downloaded from the banks often is just too terse and cryptic.

You should, at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it. Click on and review each downloaded transaction, make changes if necessary (e.g., to get a payee name = "Starbucks" instead of "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU" or to assign a category) before you click to accept each transaction.

Any changes you make to downloaded Payee Names are remembered in Renaming Rules.

Any other changes you make (add/change Category or Memo text) are remembered in the Memorized Payee List.

Next time the same transaction for this Payee comes along, Quicken should remember and give you a better new register transaction.

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date. Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the Autopilot's process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the Autopilot should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
     - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
     - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.