Just wondering --

In the past when an issue came up-- I would "blindly" do whatever the tech support person recommended, i.e., restore back up,  make a copy, deactivate and reactivate accounts. 

All perfectly legitimate suggestions.

What I am discovering with my current issue is that my quicken file has become sufficiently complex (at least for me), is that each of those approaches have secondary consequences to the file. If I restore a backup from six weeks ago- how is that going to change the dynamic of the file? Will I have to re-reconcile the accounts?  If I deactivate the accounts and reactivate them, at least the BoA says that it will download "x" # of months worth of transactions--- yikes! Does this mean that I then have to go through everything and delete duplicates? Making a copy of the file isn't a problem, but if you are downloading TRX from the bank to test that function, then you have to be mindful about how this affects your actual "live" file. How would the bank deal with two separate files and all of the authentication hurdles?

It's just not that simple anymore to offer the customer . . ."let's try x". I'd rather have the assurance that there is some connection between known issues, the questions asked in the community. 

What I know is that I am far more protective of my file now-- since I've worked so hard to make it work. I'm very, very careful. I know it seems over the top-- but I write down any issues that arise on a specific form I developed. 

Just wondering. . .

Best Answer

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I can offer three ways of how I approach it:
    First, I make a backup EVERY TIME before I close Quicken (when I am happy with the data that is).  My backup has a date and time stamp.  So the only backup I have to refer to is the one from my prior use.  In addition, if I making big changes to the file, I make multiple incremental backups so that if I screw up or don't like something I don't lose my entire work.  Backup, Backup, Backup ...
    Second, If I have to deactivate and reactivate, I first turn off the auto register entry (from the preferences), so that once transactions are downloaded, I can review and decide which ones to accept and which ones to delete (the duplicates).  In fact for my investment accounts, that option is always turned off.  That being said, it may be couple of years since I had to deactivate an account - lucky.
    Third, if I get a download error I don't worry about it and try it the next day and so on.  From my experience I have learned to be patient for 10-20 days and it will eventually get corrected and everything works just fine.
    Like most people I too have test files and I have never had a download conflict issue.  I believe Quicken utilizes a unique data file identifier to prevent the valid concern you referred to.
    - Q Win Deluxe user since 2010, US Subs R32.12
    - I don't use Sync, Cloud, Mobile, Web, Bill Pay/Mgr, Tax
    - Techie, Win10 Pro x64 21H1

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I can offer three ways of how I approach it:
    First, I make a backup EVERY TIME before I close Quicken (when I am happy with the data that is).  My backup has a date and time stamp.  So the only backup I have to refer to is the one from my prior use.  In addition, if I making big changes to the file, I make multiple incremental backups so that if I screw up or don't like something I don't lose my entire work.  Backup, Backup, Backup ...
    Second, If I have to deactivate and reactivate, I first turn off the auto register entry (from the preferences), so that once transactions are downloaded, I can review and decide which ones to accept and which ones to delete (the duplicates).  In fact for my investment accounts, that option is always turned off.  That being said, it may be couple of years since I had to deactivate an account - lucky.
    Third, if I get a download error I don't worry about it and try it the next day and so on.  From my experience I have learned to be patient for 10-20 days and it will eventually get corrected and everything works just fine.
    Like most people I too have test files and I have never had a download conflict issue.  I believe Quicken utilizes a unique data file identifier to prevent the valid concern you referred to.
    - Q Win Deluxe user since 2010, US Subs R32.12
    - I don't use Sync, Cloud, Mobile, Web, Bill Pay/Mgr, Tax
    - Techie, Win10 Pro x64 21H1
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It certainly has got more challenging over time.  I personally don't see much difference in whether one uses automatic transaction entry mode or not for duplicates.  I think maybe the more important step would be to make sure all the transactions in the register are reconciled before deactivating/reactivating/resetting.

And actually even before that understand what normally causes the duplicates in the first place.  It is caused by the fact that the unique Id changed.  With Direct Connect accounts this almost never happens.  And even with Express Web Connect accounts it is usually cause by the fact that the Intuit servers are picking the unique Ids, and their system changes the unique Id if you do deactivating/reactivating/resetting.
    If you turn on Downloaded ID column and see the Ids start with INTUIT- then they are going to change, and you will get duplicates.

Here is an example showing it in both modes:

And even easier, sorting by the Status/blue dot column:

Easy to select/delete all the duplicates in one go.

This part of it is "child's play" though in comparison to what might go wrong depending on what features you are using.  Even a restore has the potential these days to mess things up, because of the syncing to the Quicken cloud data set.  Not to mention the kinds of problems you might encounter if you use Quicken Bill Manager where part of the information is in the Quicken Desktop data file, part in the Quicken Cloud data set, part in third party services servers, and part on the biller's website.

I talked about some such pitfalls in these two posts and the link in one of them about QCS.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20180718/#Comment_20180718
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20180766/#Comment_20180766

On using a test file, my only warning there would be make sure you use a New data file as in you used File -> New Quicken File... to create it.  Never use a copy of your data file for testing.

I will also state that even though I have stated in these thread what might go wrong, most of the time everything works just fine.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/