I bought 2012 starter edition, back in 2012. Old computer fried.

bought new computer and downloaded quicken, after trying to figure out my ID. it wants an activation code. this program is almost 20 years old, i have no idea were that is or was. bought from third party store. Do I really have to pay again to get my quicken back? I only use it to balance checkbook, nothing else.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you bought Quicken from the third party, they should have provided you with an activation code. Check your receipt.

Quicken now uses a subscription pricing model.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • They sure did, 10 years ago. Have been using ever since, but since I had to get a new computer I don't still have that receipt. Quicken can't get me an activation? Seems kind od silly to pay for something twice.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you talking about the Canadian, UK, Australian or another international version of Quicken (as opposed to the US version)? Those old versions came with a 10-year license and, because they're no longer supported, can't be reactivated any longer.
    The US versions used to have a bypass registration backdoor.
    So, what exact version, release and country did you "download" and want to use now?
  • US version - how do I get the back door registration?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    US version - how do I get the back door registration?

Bypass registration (Quicken for Windows 2014 and older)

If all else fails and you get stuck on a Registration window, you can try the following to bypass registration:

Start or restart Quicken.
    Do not start a One Step Update or any other download activity.
    Press and hold and keep holding both the left CTRL and Shift keys while you click Tools and then One Step Update.
    When the message “You will no longer be prompted for registration” appears, click OK.

Don't forget: Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+

When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html
    Canadian version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-canadian.html
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above. Save those downloaded files on external storage media, for future reference.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I believe the OP needs an activation code and not to just bypass the registration.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you install 2013?  You can get it for free.
    You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013. 

You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will Quicken 2013 open a Quicken Starter 2012 data file? I thought at one time only Starter would open a Starter file.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    No you are thinking the other way around.  The  Starter version doesn't open a higher prior version.  Well that does mean Starter will only open a starter file.  The free 2013 is Deluxe.