category tree in reports different than category view ?

Problem: Category listing used to filter reports is wrong (different than register and category view)

Background: I have 4 kids so I set up a category college with subcats for each kid and then subcats for different kinds of college expenses (housing, dining, books, etc). Some of these subcats have subcats.

When I look at the category view - I see them correctly. When I enter a transaction - I see them correctly. When I try to pull a report and filter for a kid - :# the nesting gets corrupted and instead of college:kid2 it shows as college:kid1:kid2 for some reason. Maybe I hit a nesting limit or used some character that freaked out the category crawler used to create the filter in the reports area ?
Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First please make sure that in Edit / Preferences / Reports only  the radio button for "Category Display" is set for "Name".
    If that's not fixing the problem, please provide the following:
    A Tools / Category List view, selected to show "Full list", for All Categories, sorted by Category (if necessary, click on Category column header so it gets a black triangle next to it, pointing up)
    Now scroll to show the College categories and capture an image snapshot.
    Also show the report view of the report you're having problems with, view headers and report title included.

How to attach image snapshots to Community posts

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• The settings trick did not help .

Here is a shot of the cat view and the report filter view. Note in the report filter view what should be college:Dani looks like College:alex:dani in terms of nesting.
  • Sorry here are screenshots (I hope)
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only possible problem I can see is that Category College:alex:Non-VPEP:is not assigned to Category Group Personal Expenses.
    One shouldn't mix Category Groups within a subcategory tree.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    The only possible problem I can see is that Category College:alex:Non-VPEP:is not assigned to Category Group Personal Expenses.
    One shouldn't mix Category Groups within a subcategory tree.
    Good catch.
    Sorry here are screenshots (I hope)
    I also noticed in one of the screen shots you posted that the boxes for the sub-categories are not checked.  They need to be checked to show up in the report.

(QW Premier Subscription: R34.24 on Windows 10)