cpu high (8-12%) on antimalware service executable (Win defender) when running Quicken

Quicken responds very slowly and becomes unusable, and cpu goes to 8-12% on antimalware service executable (Windows defender). When I stop Quicken, cpu use drops to reasonable level. Doesn't seem to affect any other program. I have Defender scheduled for weekly and late night times, so isn't a defender scan causing this.
THis just started- had been running fine last week.
Thanks

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @nrpardee,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version release of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

Also, when did you first notice the slowness in the program? And do you notice this happening in any particular parts/areas of the program more than others?

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.
    -Quicken Anja
  • nrpardee
    nrpardee Member
    Windows 10, Quicken Deluxre R33.22 Build 27.1.33.22.
    The problem just happened in the last couple of days. I thought there was a problem with Windows Defender Antimalware because I was seeing high cpu for it (antimalware), but then realized that every time I started Quicken, the cpu for Antimalware went up, and when I stopped Quicken, the cpu went down. For awhile I wasn’t even able to get Quicken to get far enough in starting to even use it- I just got a wait indicator at the cursor. Just now it started for me but is very very slow. When I try to resize the window, I cannot do so because of slow response. I was able to accept a downloaded transaction, but it was slow.

Thanks
    Nelson
  • Quicken Anja
    @nrpardee Thank you for the additional information.

In that case, I suggest that you perform a clean uninstall/reinstall (this is different from simply uninstalling and reinstalling the program) which will clear out and replace the existing configuration files for Quicken (this does not affect any of your data and/or backup files).

To do so, please refer to this support article and scroll down to the section titled If the steps above do not resolve the issue. Then, open and follow the instructions found in the blue dropdown sections titled First: Download and use QCleanUI and Second: Rename Quicken Shared Folders.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • nrpardee
    nrpardee Member
    Quicken is now working without problems. Thank you!
  • Quicken Anja
    @nrpardee Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear it's working now. :)
    -Quicken Anja
  • spfiedler
    spfiedler Member
    I had the same problem for about a month. Just tried your solution and it's all better. Thanks.
  • dcradioman
    dcradioman Member
    I have tried this fix. It worked once but now I am having the same issue. What is your problem with Windows Defender.
  • nrpardee
    nrpardee Member
    While the clean uninstall and reinstall solved that immediate problem, longer term I couldn't get away from problems with Windows Defender antimalware using unreasonable cpu and decided I needed to go to another antivirus program. I'm trying one and still deciding which it will be long term.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever looked into and/or tried the following with Windows Defender?

• nrpardee
    nrpardee Member
    I believe I did that. And as I said, reinstalling Quicken got rid of the problem that I posted here, but problems with Defender's high cpu continued. It seems to be a long standing problem that Microsoft has never fixed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder it might have anything to do with where the data file is stored.  Personally I keep my data file at a folder I created: C:\Quicken and I have never seen such a problem with Windows Defender.

My main reason for keeping my data file there is because I also use OneDrive to backup my data which includes the Documents\Quicken folder.  And Quicken doesn't play well with  "cloud folders".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/