Why is quicken filling in a check number when I "Send an online Payment' ?

Using most recent version of Premier. After I 'Send an Online Payment' to one of my Payees, quicken adds a Check Number. Well... by definition I DID NOT WRITE A CHECK. Why is it attempting to fill in a check number?

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    You didn't describe the exact mechanism of the payment. If you are using your bank's Direct Connect, it is the bank who is assigning the number.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Accepted Answer
    You didn't describe the exact mechanism of the payment. If you are using your bank's Direct Connect, it is the bank who is assigning the number.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • I am using Direct Connect with Bank of America. If you are telling me that BOA is PURPOSELY sending me back a check number that would be odd. Maybe BOA does not understand how that field works in the File Transfer process? Sounds like a breakdown in communication between Quicken and BOA... or maybe Quicken does not want people to be happy with Direct Connect so customers will use Bill Pay? What am I missing?
    Bob
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    B of A has always added a "check" number to payments sent from Quicken via Direct Connect. Look at your OFXLOG and you will find <CHECKNUM> fields for electronic payments.
    I don't understand your comment about the "File Transfer process". These electronic check numbers are harmless unless they happen to overlap with your paper check numbers. In this case, you can contact B of A and ask them to change the numeric range of the numbers.
  • "Harmless" I guess if you don't mind meaningless inaccurate information showing up on your financial records. Check numbers just don't belong on entries that are electronic payments. Quicken should not allow this to happen....period.