Retail activation code had expired ....

I was able to chat with support. Unfortunately they refuse to reissue the code. This is so infuriating. If I had known it even had an expiration, I would have installed it sooner. This seems to be a major flaw in the Quicken registration process. The codes should not ever expire until after at least being initiated once. After that, the link has been established and email notifications can be communicated. I am very frustrated that my purchase price has been wasted.
The expiration date info print was so SMALL that it is almost impossible to see after upgraded Lasik ... why was this info HIDDEN from the customer. If I had known, I would have used the code in time.
When did Quicken actually notify customers of the expiration policy (other than is the smallest of print).

I certainly was never informed.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Where did you buy Quicken?  From what store or website?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Expiration of the Activation codes started with the 2019 version in Fall 2018.  They have been discussed on this forum continuously since then.
    Not sure how you expected Quicken to notify you of it since it was printed in the retail packaging.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • jesoma
    jesoma Member
    I just bought the retail version at Staples that was on sale. I planned on using it when my current subscription expires in 8 months. The problem is the activation card does not show when the code expires.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭

It should be on the card.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jesoma
    jesoma Member
    Like I said my activation card has no expiration date. The bottom of my card reads:
    "2019 Quicken Inc. All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable law. Quicken is a registered trademark of Intuit Inc., used under license.
    PN 160504"
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @jesoma
    What year is on the package that the card was in?  The 2018 packaging's codes did not expire.
    Can you provide images of both sides of the card? (be sure to blank out the Activation Code)
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jesoma
    There have been some changes in how boxes and activation cards are labeled.  See this March discussion: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20166376#Comment_20166376
    Some boxes don't carry a version date and their activation cards do not indicate an expiration date.
    My copy was also purchased at Staples but I activated shortly after purchasing.  It seems that support has some discretion in correcting problems with expired codes so your experience probably depends on who you get and what your story is.  It might be worth trying another support rep to see if you get a different result.  If you purchased from a licensed retailer like Staples and had no way of knowing the code could expire so soon, then maybe they can help.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • jesoma
    jesoma Member
    Side of the box says 2019 Quicken Inc. Not sure how to insert an image, I see nowhere to do an insert image. However nowhere on the front or back of the activation card is there an "activation code expires"
    My card looks different than your picture.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You can drag an image file into the message box and it will show up as an attachment, not an inline image.
  • jesoma
    jesoma Member
    Front and back of my card.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Asked for a moderator to chime in with an answer as to when this expires.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jesoma

Thank you for visiting the Community to ask your question. You will need to contact support directly for assistance.

Quicken Care has the tools to verify the expiration date.

Thank you, 
     -Quicken Tyka 

~~~***~~~
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @jesoma Be sure to write back when you get an official response about your Activation Code's expiration date.
  • jesoma
    jesoma Member
    So I just called support as I am a Premier customer. He said the 24 month countdown begins on the day you purchase it. I asked how does Quicken know when I bought it from Staples. He said basically that Staples communicates with Quicken to start the countdown on my activation code. Sounds fishy too me. (anybody what to buy a bridge?)
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a record of your purchase?  Since you use Quicken I imagine you do.  Anyway, his explanation is a bit fishy.  What Quicken Support FAQ says is:
    Can I use a retail copy of the Subscription Release of Quicken to extend my membership?
    Yes, but you can only redeem the activation code in the retail copy to extend your subscription in the last six months of your current subscription term.  Note: Activation codes expire 24 months after being generated.
    That is usually interpreted to mean 24mos after the activation card is printed.  So, his interpretation is to your benefit.  Did you purchase it more than 2 years ago?  If not and you can verify the Staples purchase date then support should be able help.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    That story is completely opposite what we have heard from Quicken reps.  There is no way for Quicken to know when you purchased a retail package since there is no code on the outside of the box that differentiates one box from another.  They would have to open the box and examine the activation code for that to happen.
    You got a line of BS.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Asked moderators to look into this.
  • jesoma
    jesoma Member
    Bought it 5/17/21 on sale at Staples. Will save receipt and see what happen come 2/22 when my current subscription expires.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    As indicated in FAQs, you can extend your subscription anytime within the last 6 mos.  So you should be able to use the activation code any time after September and add a year to your subscription so that it would then expire 2/23.  
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    jesoma said:
    Bought it 5/17/21 on sale at Staples. Will save receipt and see what happen come 2/22 when my current subscription expires.
    Hello @jesoma

I'm sorry to hear that you were unable to resolve your question even after speaking with our Support team and thank you for sharing the details of this experience with the community.

I have sent a Private Message to your Community Inbox to gather some additional information.  Please reply at your earliest convenience, thank you again.

Sarah
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah
    Was Quicken Support correct when they stated that the expiration date of the Activation Code was based on the purchase date?  If so, how is that information arrived at?
  • jesoma
    jesoma Member
    Talk to Quicken Sarah. The expiration date of the Activation Code was based on the purchase date is Not correct. She looked up my new activation code and it is valid until 1/1/22. She said I should enter my new code into Quicken on 12/21 to renew my current one which expires 4/22. I believe you can enter a new one no more than 6 months prior to your current one.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @jesoma
    Thanks for the feedback.