Capital One account frequently fails to download newest transactions

RSM2000
RSM2000 Member ✭✭
Using the latest build of Quicken for Windows R 33.24, I am still having a problem with my main checking account not always getting 'new' transactions as well as failing to update the online balance to match what's actually in the account on a given day that I'm running one step update (abbreviated as "OSU").

 This problem persists and raises its head unexpectedly at random times. I 'validated' the account previously and the validation process corrected an error within that account. Today the problem surfaced, but validation did not report ANY errors in my Quicken data file. I went in and 'reset' the account and it DID properly update the online balance and downloaded the missing transaction(s).

 I wonder if any Quicken pros have encountered this issue - I love Quicken but it is VERY important that it works properly at all times - in other words, be 'dependable' and 'rock solid'. Suggestions on a permanent fix would be welcomed. Note this is my primary checking account, so it gets a lot of activity. By no means is it my "only' account, however. That said, this is the account that generally goes awry if a download or OSU issue is going to occur.

 Yes, I have tried completely 'deactivating' then 'reactivating' the account and yet this issue is recurrent at random times without prior warning. I surmised that disk thrashing at PC startup might have been a causal issue, and have been giving my laptop time to do its housekeeping duties before starting Quicken.

 That said, though, I feel like the software should not be sensitive to how 'busy' the computer is or is not. It should run in its own thread on the CPU and not be 'bothered' by other processes which might be running in the background, yeah? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
[Edited- Readibility]

Answers

  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @RSM2000

    Thank you for visiting the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

     I would recommend signing out and signing back into the Quicken program. To do this, please follow the steps below.  

    1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts  

    2. Click sign in as a different user  

    3. Type "yes" to sign out  

    4. Sign back in using your existing Quicken ID  

    Once this has been completed, please attempt to update once more and let us know the results.  

    -Quicken Tyka 

    ~~~***~~~
  • RSM2000
    RSM2000 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Tyka - I signed out then signed back in and ran one step update (OSU). It ran ok, though the account at issue was already 'working again' after I did the procedures mentioned in my original post. The 'problem' is that that one account (checking at Capital One) is the account that seems to sporadically and for no reason fail to download transactions. It gets 'broken' somehow...though I'm not sure 'why' that happens. What's strange is that I am usually able to 'fix it' on my own, sometimes by simply resetting, sometimes by deactivating then reactivating, and sometimes by first verifying the Quicken data file, then a combo of resetting as well as de-activate then re-activate. A lot of dance steps and hence my outreach here to see if engineering might be aware and shed some light. thanks for your suggestion.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RSM2000 ,
    is it possible that your frequent problems with Capital One stem from a missing authorization for third party applications?
    Some while ago I had to get Quicken authorized as a Linked App so that I can download for my Cap One credit card. The process was in the Security portion of my user profile at Cap One. For me, I had to logon to my card account, then click the avatar icon representing my profile, then click Security and perform the authorization procedure, exactly as detailed within the requied 10 minute time-frame.
  • RSM2000
    RSM2000 Member ✭✭
    Thanks very much for the idea but no that's not the issue just so we're clear it does work and it continues to work as expected until it stops working on any given day with no warning or with no reason. So I thought if I reached out here on the forums maybe someone else had experienced it prior and could share with me. However more likely being an intermittent issue I'm trying to bring it to the attention of engineering so they become aware of it and perhaps can look into it. Again it does work fine over several days and then it will just suddenly stop working might be a week might be 2 weeks there's no rhyme or reason to it. I don't use some of the more esoteric functions of Quicken. I primarily just use it to track transactions and balances.
Sign In or Register to comment.