Dragging and Dropping Investment Transactions Between Accounts - (Q Mac 6.2.1)

Tpasci
Tpasci Member ✭✭
The 6.2.1 Improved "Enabled dragging and dropping investment transactions from one account to another so it now works like other types of accounts" seems to work as expected; however, what is unexpected, is the Quicken Data file, for me, after trying this new(er) drag/drop of investment transactions between investment accounts, has the by-product of increasing my Quicken Data file from the usual 40Mb size to a very large 480Mb (odd 10x increase). The only action (before and after) was moving (testing the feature) investment transactions between investment accounts.
Question: as with some databases, is there a "compact" type utility where Quicken will release (clean-up) what is probably allocated but now empty space in the database?
Regards

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't see any increase in file size for my Quicken data files. I didn't think the 6.2.1 update modified the database at all. My primary data file remains about 65 Mb in size.

As for compacting the database, no there's no such utility, in large part because modern SQL databases don't work the way you describe; deleted transactions don't leave behind large blocks of unused find space in tables.

Something seems odd about your sudden ten-fold size increase. Can you test going back to a backup file from last week an opening it in 6.2.1? If the file size stays around 40 Mb as expected, if might be worth moving forward with that as your live data file, even if you have to redo a little work.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Tpasci
    Tpasci Member ✭✭
    jacobs,
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    I did another test (using a pre-6.2.1 backup), and after Quicken performed the typical "Upgrading your Quicken Data", the newly 6.2.1 data file size seems expected (ie: no large difference before/after).

But when I experimented with the new(er) 6.2.1 improved drag/drop of Investment Transactions between Investment Accounts, all seemed to perform as expected (ie: no train wreck in the data; very seamless); however, the working Quicken data file ballooned in size after I performed these Investment Transactions movements [unexpected by-product].

So, for now, I'm holding off performing these actions in my production file; given the trade-off is open/close speeds are very slow [and backups would be huge in size - given I tend to have 50 backups].

Thanks again
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Tpasci

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience with the Community, our Teams would like to investigate this issue further and had a few questions.

Do you happen to know approximately how many transactions you were moving when testing the feature?

Were all the transactions moved from the same account to a single different account?  Or were they split among multiple accounts?

What type of account(s) were you testing with?  A brokerage, 401k, IRA, etc.?

Lastly, would you be willing to provide a sanitized copy of the affected data file to our teams for further review?  If so, please just open that same file in Quicken and go to the Help menu > Report a Problem.

In the window that opens, select the box for the sanitized data file copy, enter "Attn: Sarah" in the subject line and send to Quicken when ready.

Please just let me know once it has been sent, thank you again.

Sarah
  • Tpasci
    Tpasci Member ✭✭
    Sarah,
    My direct email [responses to your questions] to you returned to me as undelivered. (Address Not Found). Can you reach out to me via my email on file? Whereupon I'll (re)send my responses to you directly.
    Regards
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Tpasci  Although the email notifications you get from this forum say you can reply via email, you actually can't, as you've discovered. (Why they haven't changed this misleading message is one of the frustrations of this platform!)

In any case, you can either copy-and-paste your reply to Sarah here in this thread, or if there is private information you don't want to post in the forum, you can send her a private message. To do that, click on the little envelope icon in the upper right of this screen, then click the Compose icon, enter "Quicken Sarah" as the recipient, and type or copy-and-paste your reply. Or, as her reply above states, you can send a sanitized file with a note that it's for her using the Help > Report a Problem feature inside Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Tpasci
    Tpasci Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jacobs!
  • Tpasci
    Tpasci Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately, my attempts at the private message returned "Permission Problem
    You don't have permission to do that."

Quicken Sarah.

My responses to your questions:

"Do you happen to know approximately how many transactions you were moving when testing the feature?"
    Response: Hundreds, perhaps a 1000. It was slow going (took my iMac awhile to process).
    Quicken Data File [before "401k drag and drop"]: 131Mb
    Quicken Data File [after "401k drag and drop"]: 480.8Mb

"Were all the transactions moved from the same account to a single different account? Or were they split among multiple accounts?"
    Response: 7 accounts were moved into 1 account. 22 accounts were moved into a 2nd account. Where the 29 "orphaned" 401k accounts were empty after the process (as expected). What was unexpected was the significant increase in the size of the Data File (from 131Mb to 480.8Mb). Note: deleting these 29 empty 401k accounts did not make a difference, size wise. The drag and drop worked fine (apart from it was taxing on the iMac; but no data problems were observed); except for the odd size increase.

"What type of account(s) were you testing with? A brokerage, 401k, IRA, etc.?"
    Response: Limited to 401k. Source and Target accounts were limited to 401k.

"Lastly, would you be willing to provide a sanitized copy of the affected data file to our teams for further review?"
    Response: Possibly. I performed the sanitization for both data files (the before drag and drop file and the after drag and drop file). My review of the sanitization looks robust (PII is masked nicely). However, the financials (dollars) are intact rather than with randomized dollars . . . so I'm a bit wary of sending off my complete financial position(s). Therefore, I rather forego this new 401k drag and drop feature, then risk sending my "mostly" anonymized data file(s) . . . the value proposition of the new feature is not worth the risk to me.
    Even so, I hope some of my details above are helpful.