BSOD Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap while attaching documents

I occassionally get a BSOD Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap while attaching documents in my Quicken registers. I briefly see the popup about uploading to the document to the cloud (although I'd like to disable that), and then the BSOD. This has happened after a fresh boot.
Quicken version: R33.24
Windows' Problem Detail: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0xffff930010cede50, 0xffff858b2dd3b930, 0xfffff807323119e3). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 60c32471-1f68-407f-a6ab-a20a152a8df2.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any idea how to diagnose this? How do I turn off uploading documents into the Quicken cloud?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The fact that your machine crashes implies something wrong with it at the Windows/hardware level.  Anything Quicken doesn't shouldn't crash your machine.  Crashing Quicken, yes, your machine, no.
    Troubleshooting that is way beyond the scope of this forum.

As for not uploading the attachments to the cloud, one person suggested this.
    Turn on Sync to Mobile and then deselected all the accounts for syncing, and then turn it off again.
    Edit -> Preferences -> Mobile & Web
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Galen Gautreaux
    Galen Gautreaux Member ✭✭
    Even though I had Sync off, it apparently did upload some of my documents into the Quicken cloud. I followed your instructions and will see if my Quicken quits loading attachments to the cloud, and if successful, I suspect my problems will disappear, too.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The workaround seemed really strange when I first saw it, and even the person posting it said the same, but here what seems to be going on.

Quicken Inc has been moving users that have accounts setup for Express Web Connect to a new connection type called QCS, which is in fact "sync", but with not as much information.  See this thread for more details:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882641/qcs-express-web-connect-is-cloud-sync

So it is syncing the transactions, and the attachments came along for the ride.

Now the strange part is that given that it is a form of "sync", just a different set of what is sync you would think that there isn't any "turning off" possible and it would require Quicken Inc changing the process not to sync the attachments (which they have yet to do).  But this person found that you could go into Sync to Mobile/Web and deselect the accounts, and the attachments would stop syncing.

How this is possible and still have Express Web Connect work is a mystery.
    Signature:
  • Galen Gautreaux
    In fact, even with Sync off, after turning it on, I could see both of my Capital One credit cards where checked to sync, so I unchecked them and turned Sync off. Time will tell if this did anything. It appears that beginning ~8/1/2020, some attachments (jpgs, pngs) suddenly started getting stored in the cloud, yet some attachments (pdfs, txts) are still on my local hard drive. I did not want to put any of this data in the cloud, and I am disappointed that Quicken does this even when I tell it not to.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Inc has been in the process of changing everyone over from the old connection method for Express Web Connect to QCS for some time now.  It started about in January or late last year.  Note that the syncing of transactions once it start is not just for the new transactions, but for some time period in the past too.

Old connection system:
    Quicken -> Intuit Server -> Financial institution
    QCS:
    Quicken -> QCS -> Intuit Server -> Financial institution
    Signature:
  • Galen Gautreaux
    I have confirmed that Quicken is still uploading graphics type files (jpegs) to the cloud, even though I have no accounts selected to access from mobile device or web browser, AND Sync is OFF.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for confirming that.  I never checked it out it, was just posted by another user.
    In a way it makes more sense to me, it didn't seem reasonable that if Express Web Connect needs "sync" that it could be partly turned on and off by such a setting.
    Signature:
  • Galen Gautreaux
    Had another BSOD today, but this time it was attaching a PDF rather than a JPEG or PNG file (this is a first). Also, since this was a PDF, I do not think it uploaded it into the cloud. I only get BSODs when attaching files in Quicken.