Is Quicken using another form of ransom for you account data?

Quicken new message that your subscription has expired may be considered another form of ransom for your personal account data QDATA? It won't let me access this data file without updating to later version of Quicken. Once updated then it provide access to data. Quicken will generate error: "Please check internet connection and retry. [Error: NAME_NOT_RESOLVED]". Quicken will not show menus etc to access data file.

Using an old IMAGE backup of my computer with QUICKEN 2016. Then I move QDATA file to computer in attempt to export transaction for last four years. I do not care to download date from financial sources. Seems that Quicken has embedded some thing into QDATA file that force old Quicken 2016 to update then locks access to QDATA.

To me Quicken is requesting ransom of yearly subscription to be able to access QDATA file. Quicken 2016 behaves normally when accessing old , 2016, QDATA file. Quicken 2016 validates QDATA file, 2021. My subscription expired 3 May 2021.

Should this ransom attempt be reported?
Tagged:

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1
    iBudha said: Quicken new message that your subscription has expired may be considered another form of ransom for your personal account data QDATA? It won't let me access this data file without updating to later version of Quicken.
    Not True -
    just to clarify - What version and release/year are we talking about ?
    Version - Starter, Deluxe, Premier, H&B ?
    Release/year - ..... Help --> About Quicken ?
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • iBudha
    iBudha Member
    Started with Quicken DELUXE 2018 two year subscription, Amazon, until it expired on 3 May 2021. Your Quicken Deluxe has been successfully activated on 5/3/2019. You have an active membership to Quicken Deluxe that will end automatically on 5/3/2021.

Then started getting message subscription expired and unable to export account data. Then started getting:"Please check internet connection and retry. [Error: NAME_NOT_RESOLVED]". Then Quicken would NOT open files or present menus. Could only get FILE and HELP with "Please check internet connection and retry. [Error: NAME_NOT_RESOLVED]" in middle of screen. Nothing else!

Then tried to restore image backup, MS Image backup, with Quicken 2016. Able to see old QDATA (2016) version and export transactions. Then restored QDATA 10 May 2021 after expiration date. Used 2016 validate QDATA (2021) file. Tried to open QDATA (2021) file; Quicken 2016 updated from network. After update completed ole friend "Please check internet connection and retry. [Error: NAME_NOT_RESOLVED]". No access to menus etc.

To me this is request for ransom in form of subscription fee for access to my data in QDATA 2021 file! Quicken has right to stop services like downloading transactions, bill pay or other online activities but it SHOULD allow access to QDATA files for transaction and other NON online activities. I will report this to proper federal and state authorities as RANSOM demands!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2
    iBudha said: Started with Quicken DELUXE 2018 two year subscription, Amazon, until it expired on 3 May 2021.

Then started getting message subscription expired and unable to export account data.
    Well... still not sure what was happening - but NOT related to expired subscription.
    When subscription ends - your data is still fully accessed - BUT - you lose ALL online download capabilities.
    What bank or brokerage are you using that is being discussed ?
    What do you mean ... unable to export account data ?
    Do you mean "download" transactions from your bank -
    or do you mean Export data from your Quicken program accounts to what ?

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • iBudha
    iBudha Member
    NOT SURE HOW Quicken is able to assert that issue is NOT expired subscription related! Problem did NOT arise until after subcription had expired! Attempting to export any account - some hand enter transaction like home value or retirement, others downloaded (RBFCU, TEXANSCU, SCHWAB, USAA). Agree that what Quicken enunciates is that data should be accessible but the behavior is NOT as Quicken advertises! Wish I could send y'all a screen shot! I get "Quicken" box with Quicken 2016 Deluxe -QDATA - [Home] then get only "File" & "Help" followed by "Pleasew check internet connection and retry. [Error: NAME_NOT_RESOLVED]" next line "Retry". Nothing else.

"File" sub-menu "New Quicken file", "Open Quicken file", "File Operations" next QDATA file currently open then Exit.

If end of subscription is not issue then what is?
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am thinking the discussion on this post about using Quicken post expiration may be elucidating:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7894557/using-quicken-after-expiration#latest

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    iBudha said:
    I get "Quicken" box with Quicken 2016 Deluxe -QDATA - [Home] then get only "File" & "Help" followed by "Pleasew check internet connection and retry. [Error: NAME_NOT_RESOLVED]" next line "Retry". Nothing else.

What type of internet connection do you have? I sounds like a DNS problem. 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10