Using 24 or 27" monitor for Quicken 2020 W 10

What I've tried to read about issues with Quicken and high resolution monitors has me scared and confused so I'm making unprecedented move of looking before I leap.

I am considering a monitor such as: HP M27ha FHD Monitor - Full HD Monitor (1920 x 1080p) - IPS Panel to ease the strain on my 78 yr old eyes assisted by progressive lenses. How much "fiddling" am I going to have to do to view hopefully a much larger tableau than I'm now seeing on my 15.6" lap top which will be powering the monitor. Describe the process for viewing on the monitor and then switching back to the laptop for a quick entry/update etc. Expansive "non-technical" answers most appreciated.
Thank you
Tagged:

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    "High resolution monitors" is sort of a vague term, because in reality it is the combination of the size of the screen and the resolution that really determines "high resolution".  If you have 1920x1080 on a 7" screen that is pretty high resolution.  On the bigger monitors it isn't considered high resolution.  And "high resolution" isn't even what in fact causes the problems that people describe having with Quicken.

In general the high resolution on bigger normal sized monitors (not phones) is general thought of about "4K" (1920 == 2K, 3850 == 4K).

In general where the problems with Quicken kick in is when Windows scaling is used.  How much scaling will cause the problems seems to vary from depending on the hardware.  In the Windows Display settings 100% is no scaling.  If one had say a 4K display and set the Windows scaling to 100% Quicken wouldn't have any problems display wise, but everything would be so tiny that even a person with great vision would have trouble reading it.    That is why everything is scaled up.  A Windows scaling of 200% would mean instead of using one pixel for something then use two pixels by two pixels.

I personally use two 1920x1200 27" monitors with 100% Windows scaling with no problems or extra settings for "compatibility modes" needed.  Calculating the dots per inch (DPI) can help in this discussion.
    For a normal 15.6 laptop display you have a 13" width.  1920 / 13 = 148 DPI.  "Normal DPI" is approximately 96 DPI.  Given this high DPI I suspect you are already using some Windows scaling or maybe you are running it at a lower resolution, or at least using Quicken's "Large Fonts" which is a scaling of about 120%.

My 27" Monitor's screen is about 23.5" wide, so it has a DPI of 1920 / 23.5 = 82 DPI.  So slightly bigger everything than "Normal DPI".  Note that if I had a 27" Monitor with 3840 wide resolution and a scaling of 200%, I would end up with the same DPI as my monitor.

Given whatever DPI you are using on your laptop is working for you I suspect that a 1920x1080 27" monitor wouldn't cause any problems.

Now on your second question about switching back and forth between the laptop screen and the monitor.
    That tends to be a problem spot for dual display systems in general and Quicken has some extra problems in this area.

When you connect a monitor a laptop you have a couple of choices.  Either the monitor "replaces" the display on the laptop or the monitor just becomes a second display.

You will notice that for most programs they remember the size and location of their main window, so that when you start them again they are in the same place and size.  If I have two monitors and put Quicken on the second monitor, and then disconnect that monitor, it is smart enough to jump to the first monitor so that it isn't displaying on "nothing".  But if I reconnect that monitor, the Quicken window will no jump back to the second monitor.  On the other hand if I only used Quicken on the second monitor and was sure to exit Quicken before disconnecting the second monitor then Quicken would always come up on the second monitor.

If one only used either the monitor or the laptop display at a time this problem would for the most part go away with one exception.  Let's say that the resolution/scaling/DPI is different for the two.  That means one of the monitors would have more "space" on it in terms of how much you could fit on it.  That means you might be able to size/position the Quicken window in a way that it is partly off screen when you switch to the other display.

The one other thing to be aware of is I believe that Quicken still has a bug where for some of the window sizing/positioning it is looking at the "main display" instead of the one Quicken is on.  If the DPI of the two displays are quite a bit different there it can result in Quicken sizing/positioning the windows incorrectly.  In general the fix to that is just setting the "main display" to be the one that Quicken is on when you are in two display mode (doesn't apply to "one display" mode where the monitor "replaces" the laptop display).
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Terry Linthicum
    Terry Linthicum Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your efforts to assist me. I read as a tacit, "maybe things will work out but it won't be great". The rest sorta like an adult talking to a Charlie Brown character. I know you tried.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For a "one liner" I would state it differently, "1920x1080 on a 24/27" monitor isn't high resolutions and as such should work fine."
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/