Quicken Premier R33: Erratic behavior, slow performance, screen flashes to desktop and back

For the last 6-8 weeks Quicken Premier (R33) has been "behaving badly!" I have been using Quicken since 1995 and am computer literate so I know this is not a hardware issue (run all tests on my HP Omen gaming machine even though I don't game ... just love power :-)) I did an online chat and was told others were having the same problem AND R34 was to be released soon. I have also spoken with a "live" support person, ran validate procedures (and I ran again), and no improvement. Whatever is going on is truly unacceptable especially since we now have to pay annually for what currently is a subpar program.
Ed Nottingham

Comments

• George5
    George5 Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Hello @EdNottingham

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with Quicken performance. I'm not sure if we've done any troubleshooting besides the original steps in recommended by chat support. In any case the first troubleshooting step here we should be able to take is to try a mondo patch to see if that may help with the more recent patches giving you us

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know what you find.  From there we'll better understand our next steps.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much. I did it before but great idea to install the mondo patch again so getting reading to it now. Stay tuned. :-)
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    Mondo patch instlled: R33.24 Build 27.1.33.24 I'll observe and report back. Thanks again Quicken Francisco
  • Quicken Francisco
    @EdNottingham

Thanks for the update! Once you do get the chance to try it let us know and we'll continue troubleshooting if needed.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    So far no improvement. Screen continues to fluctuate (e.g., goes from Quicken to Desktop), slow. I will keep assessing.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @EdNottingham

Thanks for the update. If that's the case another thing we're able to do here would be to perform a QcleanUI then reinstall quicken after to see if that may help. I'll leave steps down below.

First we'll want to run the QcleanUI.

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Once we've done that we should be free to reinstall Quicken again.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it

Once you've done this let us know if you're still having the same issue. If you are we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion. One question: If I do this, will it require having to setup all of direct connect settings for accounts linked to financial institutions?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion. One question: If I do this, will it require having to setup all of direct connect settings for accounts linked to financial institutions?

The answer is No.
    You're starting from scratch with a clean software installation, but you continue to use the same Quicken data file which has all the bank accounts, settings, transactions, etc. which you currently use.
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    Excellent! Really appreciate this community and the help and excellent suggestions. Will Uninstall (using above) and reinstall tomorrow.
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    Again, really appreciate the help received from the Community.

This morning (13 June 2021) I followed ALL steps outlined by Quicken Francisco. Reinstalled Quicken (33.24). Alas, NO improvement whatsoever.

And, I am CompTia A+ Certified (hardware and software) and ran multiple tests yesterday to confirm my hardware is not the issue, and I have all WIndows 10 and other updates installed.

I hope Quicken employees are monitoring this Community. As I mentioned initially I was told in a support "chat" that others are experiencing the same issues and that R34 was "coming soon." If I were not a Quicken customer dating back to 1995 and there was an option, I would be switching!

Thanks again for the help here.
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    Thanks UKR. Omen is a gaming desktop (although I don't game) with lots of power and RAM. But good point even though this is a desktop I will still double check the power settings. (And, I did no options similar to my HP laptops (work and home).
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    To any Quicken staff and/or developers who may be following this discussion: Are there plans to release an updated Quicken (Premier)? Apparently I am not the only one experiencing the slow, erratic Quicken behavior. Considering many of us are probably "locked" into using Quicken and paying the annual fee, I would hope that there is both dedication and financial resources to update Quicken so that it functions more flawlessly. I have read elsewhere (and whether valid/reliable or not) that the program architecture that is the foundation for Quicken is old and perhaps aging poorly.

I do appreciate the support I have received in this Community from UKR and Quicken Francisco.
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    Update: R34 is available, was downloaded, and installed. Sadly, no significant improvement noted. Screen continues momentarily show desktop, movement within screens (e.g., entering transactions) is slow, etc. Disappointed.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    try adjusting graphics setting in Windows and add qw.exe and set high priority. Some people think that may help? 
    Note.. Setting vary depending on your computer

• EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    Thanks. Appreciate the idea and doing it now. :-)
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    Again, thanks for all the support and ideas. Suggestion from MiKlk (above) applied. Maybe a slight improvement noted so appreciate this Win10 suggestion.

I still hope Quicken employees are monitoring this Community. I still think that the issue is related to the architecture of the current Quicken (Premier) and as some have suggested the "outdated" nature. I know that I run video editing, PhotoShop Elements, and many other programs on this HP Omen i7 machine with none of the "issues" I experience with this current Quicken (and I've been using Quicken since 1995!).

Again thanks to all. Too much jogging and walking 5-10 miles a day so tomorrow 28 June having a total right hip replacement. If there are suggestions/replies and I don't reply, I may be offline for a few days. :smile:
  • dmzumwalt
    dmzumwalt Member ✭✭
    > @EdNottingham said:
    > Update: R34 is available, was downloaded, and installed. Sadly, no significant improvement noted. Screen continues momentarily show desktop, movement within screens (e.g., entering transactions) is slow, etc. Disappointed.

I am experiencing the same problem in Quicken's "Home, Business & Rental Property" flavor. R33.24. In addition, the last several updates have introduced an annoying UI misfire. If another window is open in front of Quicken (e.g., Outlook), but a portion of the Quicken window frame is visible, if I click on the top edge of the Quicken window it will be brought forward but be centered on the spot that I clicked. So, in addition to random flashing/opening/closing of windows within Quicken, the entire window skips across the page if I happen to click on the frame to bring it forward. This is not standard UI design, certainly not best practices, and maddening as heck.
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    dmzumwait, while sad and as much as is humanly possible I "feel your pain," it is nice to know that others are experiencing the same issues. This community is great in terms of offering ideas, but I find it sad (and unacceptable) that Quicken programmers/developers are not doing more to isolate and eliminate the issues being experienced. While it clear that some of the volunteers are fantastic and expert in many areas, it would be nice for a paid Quicken staff person to get involved. I hate paying an annual subscription for software that is buggy while knowing at the point I'm stuck (since I have 30+ years of Quicken data).
  • jmshapiro
    jmshapiro Member ✭✭
    I'm on the R33.24 version of Quicken Deluxe and just upgraded today for the first time in about 7 months. Until now it's been ok. After the upgrade today it's taking me about 5 seconds to save a transaction whereas it used to be an unnoticeable time. It's now taking a lot longer to get things done with a lot of time spent waiting. It's a bit disappointing.
  • jmshapiro
    jmshapiro Member ✭✭
    @EdNottingham as well as the slow progression through the transaction process I also experience some strange screen flashes when I accept a transaction. You're not alone :smile:
  • jmshapiro
    jmshapiro Member ✭✭
    I seem to have resolved the problems I was having. I did two things and I'm fortunate that I'm running Windows on a virtualization environment. I increased the RAM on the PC from 4GB to 8GB and I set the size of the display to a standard setting (1400 x 1050). Once restarted the flashing is gone and speed has increased. I would need to reset one of those settings to see whether one setting had more of an effect than the other.
  • cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭
    I am running 27.1.26.23 and I am not having any issues but have been thinking about upgrading given that I am running with a pretty old version. However I have been monitoring this thread waiting for a resolution before upgrading. Does anyone know the patch release that first introduced this performance issue? I am thinking that I may just upgrade to the release just before the issue appeared.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    cjim said:
    I am running 27.1.26.23 and I am not having any issues but have been thinking about upgrading given that I am running with a pretty old version. However I have been monitoring this thread waiting for a resolution before upgrading. Does anyone know the patch release that first introduced this performance issue? I am thinking that I may just upgrade to the release just before the issue appeared.
    It is a misconception that R33.24 equal bad performance.  There are literally thousands of people using the release, and not coming here reporting this problem.

Given that Windows machines can have such variety of different kinds of hardware, drivers, and software it isn't unusual that some behave "differently".  And for whatever reason Quicken does seem to bring the worst out of certain machines.

Will your machine hit such problems?  No telling, but frankly the odds are that your machine will not have this problem.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    > @jmshapiro said:
    > I seem to have resolved the problems I was having. I did two things and I'm fortunate that I'm running Windows on a virtualization environment. I increased the RAM on the PC from 4GB to 8GB and I set the size of the display to a standard setting (1400 x 1050). Once restarted the flashing is gone and speed has increased. I would need to reset one of those settings to see whether one setting had more of an effect than the other.

Thanks for the info. I run Quicken Premier on my HP Omen Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB video hardware, blah, blah, blah. I don't game but this is a gaming machine (I wanted more power, more power when I bought it 3 years ago :-)) and would hope the (ongoing) issues I'm having re not hardware related.

I continue to explore and if I find anything I'll pass it on.
  • AR53
    AR53 Member ✭✭
    I have disconnected the "Direct Connect" to Wells Fargo and the program now acts as it should. No more "flashing", crashing or freezing. My other connections to other financial institutions work fine. It has to be something with Wells Fargo or the connection to them.
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    While I consider myself computer literate (CompTia A+ certified) I decided to purchase a remote technical support service from PCMatic (only $50 for the first year). I just had the technician remote access my computer and it turned out that I had WAY too many background processes enabled and running. He did some other tweaks (e.g., deleted prefetch files). I did a very quick (and superficial) Quicken test and maybe, just maybe, it is running a little better. I do not know all the background programs disabled (do know I will need to re-enable some). You can check using msconfig, then startup to see all that is running and may be impacting other programs (like Quicken). If this helps others, let us/me know.
  • EdNottingham
    EdNottingham Member ✭✭
    24 July 2021 Update: Well, disabling background processes, etc. made no difference in the long run. So same issues continue. Plus, now twice when I have updated Quicken it has shown strange balances (not reconciling) which required restoring a slightly older backup file in order to have everything reconcile correctly. Hello Quicken Staff! I'm running the most current release and yet issues continue. How about a brand new R40 or something that is fully tested? We are paying annual "subscriptions" and when I pay this for other programs I get programs that run flawlessly. Maybe Microsoft, Google, Amazon, etc. should buy Quicken. Just a thought. (Gee, can people tell I'm frustrating myself over this? :-))
  • maratekin
    maratekin Member
    I feel your pain. I'm a Quicken user since 1990, and I just spent two hours trying to reconcile a credit card, only to find that quicken had changed the opening balance (going back to 1998). This is not an isolated incident - I had the same issue occur a couple of weeks ago when I was reconciling another credit card account - the opening balance (at the top of the register) had been changed from zero (which is what it should have been) to a significantly larger number that was throwing off the balances.

I'm also experiencing the lost splits in paychecks issue that seems to be persisting. Of late, I seem to be spending as much time troubleshooting my data file as I do analyzing my finances, which is why I have Quicken.

I'm not certain if these data issues are related to the online syncing of data; I do not, however, like the software updating things like opening balances without alerting me. That is frankly unacceptable behavior in the absence of any audit trails to isolate the changes.