I set up a new mortgage but the payment was not sent.

The payment was due on June 1. I came home from vacation and found a late notice. The mortgage payment is still sitting in the register showing "Sched". Why did it fail to send on June 1 as I intended?

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Geoff Stuart

Thank you for visiting the Community to report this issue although I apologize that you're experiencing this trouble.

I have a few questions to help me understand what could be happening. First, which bill pay option do you use? Do you use your bank's bill pay through Quicken or the Quicken Bill Manager?

Have you successfully made this payment in the past? How many days was this scheduled in advance? The more information you can provide the better able to assist the Community will be.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Geoff Stuart
    Geoff Stuart Member ✭✭
    Tyka,

Well, we are starting off with a terminology problem. I looked through every Quicken menu and could not find anything called "Quicken Bill Manager" (not an infrequent problem in Quicken, I might add).

I added this payee and the mortgage loan via the Property and Debt menu. I added screen-shots so you can see the payment setup. As you can note, the May and June payments are shown, but June did not go out. May was included at closing. My questions are: how can I trigger it, and will the July payment also have the same issue?

Rather than "Sched", why does the system not show "Send" in the register? If I change it to "Send", will it send?

Thanks for helping, Tyka.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Hello @Geoff Stuart

Thank you for the photos and the update as well. I was taking a look at the photos and it seems like it may have just been a reminder that was scheduled in your register but to be sure I would recommend contacting Quicken Support directly for the best assistance. They'll be able to screen share to figure out what exactly happening if you feel comfortable doing so. I will leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited June 12
    Hello @Geoff Stuart,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiening this.

Well, we are starting off with a terminology problem. I looked through every Quicken menu and could not find anything called "Quicken Bill Manager" (not an infrequent problem in Quicken, I might add).
    For clarification; Quicken Bill Manager is the bill payment service using Quick Pay and Check pay through the Bills & Income tab and/or through the account register(s) which is offered and built-in to our Quicken program. You can find more information about the service and how it works through this support article.

Bank Bill Pay (also known as Direct Connect Bill Pay) allows you to make, schedule, and send payments from within Quicken using your Bank's bill pay service. Payments made using this service are usually done through the account register and/or through the Online Center (Tools > Online Center). You can check if you have Direct Connect setup by opening your account register, and looking below the Account Name at the top as shown in the example below (please note that instead of Express Web Connect as shown in the image below, it will say Direct Connect).

Also, from the 1st screenshot you provided showing "Sched" in the check number field, I believe this entry was neither a Bank Bill Pay nor a Bill Manager payment based on the Orange Pencil icon that's shown which would indicate that this is simply a manual entry transaction (not a form of online payment). To clarify; was this entry made in your checking account register?

Based on the information provided above, please clarify which online payment service you are using or intend to use so we can better assist your further.

Please check back and let us know! Thank you.
    -Quicken Anja
  • Geoff Stuart
    Geoff Stuart Member ✭✭
    I did call Q Support yesterday and after an hour of experimenting, we did get the Mortgage payment set up to automatically enter the payment in my bank register. I've used Quicken since the DOS days (many years ago) and I have always set up mortgages without any issues. Now there are duplicate tabs (i.e. what's the difference between Scheduled Payments and Repeating Online Payments? They both are added using the same hyperlink). I'm dismayed that when features are added, frequently they just add to the complexity of the product and are not explained. You as designers and programmers may be very proud of your accomplishments, but to this very experienced consumer, it's nothing but confusion.

On the positive side, now that you are charging an annual fee, I am very happy that I am entitled to phone support. The first rep I spoke with had no idea how to set up a mortgage, but his manager got on the call and we worked it out. But it took 45 minutes of experimentation, with me finally discovering the proper way to set it up and educating him. That's not how this should work.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    what's the difference between Scheduled Payments and Repeating Online Payments? They both are added using the same hyperlink
    If the "Scheduled payment" shows an orange pencil icon in front of it (as shown in the first screenshot you provided previously), then that would simply indicate that it's a manually entered scheduled transaction without the payment information being sent to the bank in order to actually send out the payment to the mortgage lender.

"Repeating Online Payments", are online payments that are scheduled and actually set up to have instructions sent online from Quicken to the bank in order to pay the mortgage lender. These payments will typically also show a lightning bolt icon (instead of an orange pencil icon) in the register and can also be viewed in the Online Center (Tools > Online Center).

As for your interaction with support; I am sorry to hear that the interaction was a dissatisfying experience. Were you by chance given a ticket number that you could provide us with here please so we can pull the interaction for further review?
    -Quicken Anja