unable to enter program/expiration notices with active sub

I have an active subscription purchased for a 2 year period on May 3, 2020, good through May 3, 2022. Ten-ish days ago, I opened Quicken for the first time in about six weeks. I caught up on some paperwork then performed a One Step Update, which alerted for a Quicken program update, which I allowed, which then automatically restarted Quicken. From that restart, since then, for ten days now, I've only been able to successfully log into Quicken approximately three total times. On all other of several dozen attempts, I see my Quicken home page for a moment, and then it is overlaid by a full screen request to enter my Quicken ID and password. Screenshot: http://prntscr.com/154xqie When I do so, I'm taken to the page telling me "You have an active subscription with Quicken" and prompting me to download, install, and log into the program, OR I'm prompted to enter them both again on a second, slightly different looking page, and THEN I'm taken to the download and install page. Screenshot: http://prntscr.com/154xd81

I have scoured the FAQs, restarted my PC, overlay reinstalled, uninstalled-rebooted-and-reinstalled, tried the "log out of file" step recommended in the FAQ (on one of the two occasions I managed to get in), performed two file validations (first only found and cleaned up a couple of category inconsistencies, second found nothing) and nothing has been successful. I have called the support phone number at least 20 times in the last two weeks during listed business hours (5A-5P Pacific time) to be greeted by the "currently closed" message on EVERY SINGLE PHONE CALL, regardless of time of day. I've even called from work, when I'm not even home to work on my PC, just to see if I can get through. I have never once in that time seen the support chat option show as available.

Thursday morning I opened Quicken again (because I keep beating my head against the wall and trying, hoping it was a server-side issue) and to my great surprise, it worked! When I entered my Quicken ID and password, I received a small message that simply said "You have an active subscription," and then it let me into the program. I left the program open for two straight days while I updated all my data, then backed up my file. I then hit One Step Update, and received a popup that said my subscription was expired, and I needed to renew to perform this action. The options were "OK" and "Renew." I pressed OK, and exited Quicken, and restarted. I'm now back in the "Download and install" loop listed above.

I would appreciate any direction that can be provided by the Community, since I have been completely unable to get in touch with actual program support.

Best Answer

• just_matt
    just_matt Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    > @UKR said:
    > Are you getting
    > "Oops, something went wrong"?
    >
    > Have you recently enabled a VPN? If so, this might be the problem. Try turning
    > the VPN off and see if that helps.
    >
    > Is there a corporate
    > or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people
    > maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    >
    > Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the
    > Internet?
    >
    > Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the
    > program to work.

Thanks for your input. These were not my issues, as it turns out. It appears my issues went back to the program update that I allowed at the beginning of my story. Something got corrupted during that update process, and it wasn't something that was removed in a normal uninstallation.

I finally got through to phone support this evening, and he walked me through a q-clean process, followed by reinstallation, and that restored access to my files and account.

Thanks again to both of you who responded.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited June 12
    Hello @just_matt,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To get out of the repetitive "Sign-in/download and install" loop, please click on Create a new ID or Sign in with a different Quicken ID at the bottom of the 1st sign in screen (underneath "Having problems with your Quicken ID?") as shown in the example below.

You should then be prompted to type "Yes" and click Sign Out.

After that, you will then be taken back to the sign-in screen again (the bottom "Having problems..." section should now no longer show), and you should now be able to sign in successfully without being taken back through the same "Sign-in/download and install" loop.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • just_matt
    just_matt Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it didn't work. I think I tried this at least once already, but at your advice, I'm confirming that I just tried it again now.

> Create a new ID or Sign in with a different Quicken ID <done>
    > You should then be prompted to type "Yes" and click Sign Out. <done>
    > back to the sign-in screen again (the bottom "Having problems..." section should now no longer show) <correct>
    > sign in successfully <nope>

When I signed in, it took me to the slightly different login page, and then on to the download page again.

I'm going to try again, but instead of immediately logging back in, I'm gonna try shutting down Quicken and/or restarting my computer before I attempt to log back in.

Thanks again for the input.
  • just_matt
    just_matt Member ✭✭
    I tried again, this time rebooting my PC between the "sign out" and "restart/sign in" steps. When I entered my info, I received the message "Oops, something went wrong. Please try again, and if it still doesn't work, let us know." Screenshot https://prnt.sc/15740v9

Subsequent attempts produced the same result, going nowhere.
  • just_matt
    just_matt Member ✭✭
    I randomly found the Chat window open (at 7 on a Saturday?) and just spent 30 minutes going through things, with no result other than him telling me I needed to call or chat on Monday. Sigh. This is probably beyond Community at this point. Thanks again for your input.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    just_matt said:
    I tried again, this time rebooting my PC between the "sign out" and "restart/sign in" steps. When I entered my info, I received the message "Oops, something went wrong. Please try again, and if it still doesn't work, let us know." Screenshot https://prnt.sc/15740v9

Subsequent attempts produced the same result, going nowhere.

Are you getting "Oops, something went wrong"?
    Have you recently enabled a VPN? If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off and see if that helps.

Is there a corporate or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the Internet?
    Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the program to work.

• just_matt
    just_matt Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    > @UKR said:
    > Are you getting
    > "Oops, something went wrong"?
    >
    > Have you recently enabled a VPN? If so, this might be the problem. Try turning
    > the VPN off and see if that helps.
    >
    > Is there a corporate
    > or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people
    > maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    >
    > Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the
    > Internet?
    >
    > Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the
    > program to work.

Thanks for your input. These were not my issues, as it turns out. It appears my issues went back to the program update that I allowed at the beginning of my story. Something got corrupted during that update process, and it wasn't something that was removed in a normal uninstallation.

I finally got through to phone support this evening, and he walked me through a q-clean process, followed by reinstallation, and that restored access to my files and account.

Thanks again to both of you who responded.