Ally bank download changing openning bal on Quicken

When I download Ally bank transactions the opening bal in the corresponding account on Quicken is being changed

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod

Hello @laufbad

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues downloading from your Ally Bank account. By chance when you try updating your accounts could you double check to see if the opening balance is potentially having pending transactions on the banks side add into the opening balance? We've seen a recent case of this but I'd like to see if that might be the case with you as well.

Has this been happening for a while as well or is it a new issues you've experienced as well? Once you get the chance please let us know more and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• laufbad
    laufbad Member ✭✭
    1) The opening balance in the account in Quicken is from 2016. There are no outstanding/pending transactions on the bank side that could impact the opening balance.
    2) This issue just arose in the last few days.

I was fortunate to have a back-up of my Quicken file that was about a week old that I could go back to and then re-enter transaction since that update.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @laufbad

Thanks for the update. That is quite odd that this is a recent thing. When you updated the backup did it perform the same action as well? If not we can continue with the issue but we'd like to see about investigating further.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• laufbad
    laufbad Member ✭✭
    Yes, when I did a download using the restored from backup file, it came up with the same problem, by the same amount of the change ($631.79).
    I then did another restore and have discontinued downloading from Ally - entering transactions and reconciling manually.

FYI - I am using Quicken Deluxe, Version R33.24, Build 27.1.33.24
  • Quicken Francisco
    @laufbad

Thanks for the update. I'm wondering here if we were to relink the account downloads if we would have similar issues when trying to download again. We should be able to test this out by trying to add the account again and choosing to link it after you've signed in. I'll leave steps down below on how to do so.

First we'll try deactivating all of the accounts for the affected FI. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.

https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3216277

Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know what you find.  From there we'll better understand our next steps/options.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• laufbad
    laufbad Member ✭✭
    I deactivated the download for my Ally account and then reactivated/link for download. I did a download and the same exact issue happened, including the difference being the same amount.

Luckily I did a back-up and was able to restore AGAIN to a point before this problem.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @laufbad

Thanks for the update. If that's the case then I would recommend at this point contacting Quicken Support directly for the best assistance. They should be able to collect logs to figure out what could be causing the starting balance to read incorrectly. I will leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• laufbad
    laufbad Member ✭✭
    I contacted Quicken Support via their chat. Agent had me start a new Quicken file, link the Ally account to that file and do a Express Web Connect download. SAME PROBLEM OCCURRED.

Quicken Support says that they will investigate and let me know. NOT HOLDING OUT HOPE.

Will continue to manually enter Ally transactions into Quicken and manually reconcile account. Thankfully it is an account with only a couple of transactions per month.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @laufbad

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear the issue was still happening in a new file. It does sound like support was able to escalate the issue which is good. If you do receive any updates let us know as well!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • prine2020
    prine2020 Member ✭✭
    The same problem happened with one of my Ally accounts yesterday. Also not downloading any transactions.
  • laufbad
    laufbad Member ✭✭
    This issue continues. Periodically, after backing up my Quicken file, I will attempt to download from within Quicken (Express Web Connect). The error, changing my opening balance for the account in Quicken, continues.

I then have to restore from the backup to get everything correct within Quicken and then do a download of the account from the Ally Bank site (this is then a Web Connect link, not an Express Web Connect link) for things to work properly. This method works, but it is extra steps that should not be necessary.
  • JB_526
    JB_526 Member
    I had the same problem this evening but with a different Financial institution (not Ally).

As of earlier today, all of my balances were reconciled just fine from the beginning of 2021 to today. The ending balances were perfect, so I backed up my Quicken file.

Then this evening, I deactivated Express Web Connect for only that particular bank. Then I decided to activate it again. Upon reactivating Express Web Connect, all of my opening balances had been changed! I don't understand how that can happen. One would hope that once you enter a number into one of Quicken's registers, it should stay there and not be altered on its own.

Anyway, I couldn't figure out any real basis for these "new" opening balance dollar amounts that Quicken had seemingly pulled out of thin air. And, of course, the "new" opening balances in these accounts were causing the ending balances to all be incorrect.

Luckily I had that backup of my Quicken file from earlier today. So I opened the backup file, made note of all of the opening balances in there, and then I manually entered those opening balance numbers into the registers in my "new" Quicken file. Amazingly, that made all of the ending balances correct again.