After Quicken installation - Creation of Windows .PFX personal file encryption certificate?

After installing the current version of quicken and importing my QDF file from an older version of quicken i was greeted by a series of dialog boxes about encrypting my file system and then about choosing a name for a certificate/encryption keys? Following this this procedure there was a new file that was placed in my Documents folder in window with an .PFX extension. Does anyone know what this is and what it's used for, and if i can rename it and move it to some other location?

Thanks,
Bing

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what you describe, you may not have installed a legitimate version of Quicken. Quicken does not import QDF files, it simply opens them. Unless you specifically use a file password to protect the data file, it is not encrypted and never uses a file extension other than QDF. Where did you purchase Quicken from?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Bing Wong
    Bing Wong Member ✭✭
    I downloaded directly from quicken website so i am 100% certain it is 100% legit.

My quicken QDF file is password protected when i was using a pre-2011 version of quicken.

I can't remember whether the .PFX file was created during quicken installation or post-installation when quicken was importing my password-protected .QDF file. I suspect that this .PFX file maybe a certificate w/ a encryption key.. but from what i read from other Quicken users on this forum Quicken actually does not encrypt the .QDF file (it merely password protects) so the purpose of this certificate/encryption key is beyond me..
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only guess, but I think that .PFX file is a red herring, or should I call it a Windows function. It's quite possible that your computer needed an updated security certificate for/from a certain website, to be able to access the website.
    Does Quicken run on your computer and can you properly access your QDF data file?
    If you want to learn more about .PFX files, google "pfx file extension" and read all about it.

• Bing Wong
    Bing Wong Member ✭✭
    Actually after doing some investigation this .PFX file was created by the Windows as part of their Encryption File System - it seems to be used for encrypting/decrypting files. The series of prompts that i observed was the creation of a Personal Certificate that included a Private Key for encrypting/decrypting files/directories in my Windows computer , and asking me to save a backup copy of this certificate in the event i needed to decrypt any files i the original certificate was lost or damaged.. I presume Quicken, either during the installation process or conversion of my QDF - I can't remember which, launched this WIndows Encryption File System to generate this personal certificate. When I look into my Windows Certificate Store under my Windows account (using the certmgr.msc utility) i can see this certificate under my Personal certificate store folder

Now why Quicken installation or conversion process asked to create this certificate I am not sure because it does not look like any of my quicken QDF files (which are password protected), nor directories have been encrypted.

If someone else can offer some insights much appreciated. Quicken support was pretty clueless.. One support rep. told me i could actually delete this backup certificate saying it was just a temporary residual file. If i ever or Quicken decided to encrypt my QDF file, and i subsequently moved this encrypted QDF file to another PC and i deleted this backup certificate i would never be able to decrypt my QDF file on the new computer!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14
    You must have somehow triggered the install of the Windows Encryption File feature -
    These are the steps to encrypt a single file -
    I just tried it, and for me, the selection is NOT avail as show by the dim checkbox..

What version of Windows 10 - Windows HOME or Windows PRO ?
    Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users have a built-in encryption tool called the Encrypting File System (EFS).

How do I encrypt files in Windows 10?
    1. Right-click on the folder or file you want to encrypt.
    2. Select Properties from the drop-down menu.
    3. At the bottom of the dialogue box, click Advanced.
    4. Under "Compress or Encrypt attributes" - check the box for "Encrypt contents to secure data." ...
    5. Click OK.

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10