there are a few issues here

In the last update Quicken closed an auto loan. It still has a balance. It won't let me reopen the loan. I'm not sure what to do.

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Convert the loan from a "downloading" loan to a "manual" loan as outline here:
    With a downloading loan you have no access to the loan's registry while with a manual loan you do have access.
  • Tom Young
    Accepted Answer
    Neither of us really know if the problem was caused by a Quicken update, or is just a coincidence. 
    I'd guess most SuperUsers would recommend against setting up a loan as a connected loan for a variety of reasons, lack of access to the loan's register being one of them.
    The complaint of "Quicken is saying my loan is paid off, but it's not" is isn't an uncommon complaint in here.  I'd wager that most "loan" information is being captured and downloaded using the Express Web Connect method, a method that has more problems than the very reliable Direct Connect method, and that could very well be the actual source of these kinds of problems.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Accepted Answer
    Convert the loan from a "downloading" loan to a "manual" loan as outline here:
    With a downloading loan you have no access to the loan's registry while with a manual loan you do have access.
  • craigsimard
    craigsimard Member ✭✭
    edited June 16
    Thank you Tom. That fix work will for now. My concern is if the next upgrade closes my mortgage. The last one closed my wife's auto loan. So the upgrade didn't effect the online register. I might just use that instead. Anyways thank you for your help.
  • Tom Young
    Accepted Answer
    Neither of us really know if the problem was caused by a Quicken update, or is just a coincidence. 
    I'd guess most SuperUsers would recommend against setting up a loan as a connected loan for a variety of reasons, lack of access to the loan's register being one of them.
    The complaint of "Quicken is saying my loan is paid off, but it's not" is isn't an uncommon complaint in here.  I'd wager that most "loan" information is being captured and downloaded using the Express Web Connect method, a method that has more problems than the very reliable Direct Connect method, and that could very well be the actual source of these kinds of problems.
  • craigsimard
    craigsimard Member ✭✭
    edited July 3
    That's interesting but I have a feeling it was my wife refinancing her loan at a lower rate. I'm guessing because of the timing. They didn't start a new loan they just lowered her rate and charge her for it. My best guess is Quicken got confused. The issue that's starting to get under my skin is not Quickens not catching all the cleared items but when I notice items that have cleared and Quicken missed them I clear them myself. When I update Quicken "unclears" them. The only fix I've found is to clear the items that Quicken insist are not cleared, erase the data file, and let Quicken replace the file with a new one. That's usually only good for a few days then we start all over with new items that didn't clear but are actually cleared. I'm looking to see if there is a good replacement but Quicken doesn't have the competition it use to have. [Removed - No Soliciting] is a nice program but it does not support my bank.