Using old Quicken 2008. When signing in get "Oops something went wrong, please try again"

I don't think Quicken any longer supports 2008, but I just love it and want to keep using it. My HD crashed and I had to install on new comp. Installed a back up. Now I can no longer back up my data base. This is why I am trying to log onto their site. How can I get my email and password accepted?

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    hdog said:
    I don't think Quicken any longer supports 2008, but I just love it and want to keep using it. My HD crashed and I had to install on new comp. Installed a back up. Now I can no longer back up my data base. This is why I am trying to log onto their site. How can I get my email and password accepted?
    Are you really sure that you are running Quicken 2008?
    The "Oops" error and the need to supply an ID (email address) and password was added in a much newer version, approximately 2016 (US).
    In Quicken please do a Help / About Quicken and it'll tell you what version and release you are really running. Tell us.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about your specific problem.  But something to think about......

You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now.  Then it should run on newer versions of Windows.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.

2013 should run on Windows 10.  You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

If your version is 2003 or earlier you will need to first convert to 2004.  Then convert to 2013.  Read that whole article on converting.

And FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.

The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    hdog said:
    Are you really sure that you are running Quicken 2008?
    The "Oops" error and the need to supply an ID (email address) and password was added in a much newer version, approximately 2016 (US).
    In Quicken please do a Help / About Quicken and it'll tell you what version and release you are really running. Tell us.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Go to Quicken Patches  and download/save the necessary patch releases for your version of Quicken and then execute them.  For QW2008, you will need R7, R8 & R9.
    The initial install of QW2008 is R1 and is incompatible with later QW2008 release data files.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • hdog
    hdog Member
    I definitely am using 2008. I just reinstalled it from scratch. My previous computer had several updates, but this does not (yet). I started over creating a new file. It will not allow me to back up file. Gives me an error message. I will try the suggestions. Thanks all. I may be back if these do not work. I am fairly illiterate on computer.
  • hdog
    hdog Member
    volvogirl, I followed your suggestion. All seems well now. 2013 allows me to back up files. 2008 always gave an error. Thanks.