Quicken fails to open after installing R34.13 update [Blocked by Norton Antivirus]

dwpaul
dwpaul Member ✭✭
After installing the R34.13 update released this morning (as prompted to do during a 1-step update), Quicken Deluxe build 27.1.34.13 will not open my datafile. I receive a "Convert your Quicken file" dialog advising me that my data file was "last used with Quicken unknown" and to download and install Quicken 2004 (!), open the data file, reinstall Quicken and then reopen the file.

In addition, Norton reported that qw.exe attempted to modify permissions on several directories that have nothing to do with Quicken, actions that Norton blocked.

It appears patch R34.13 was released with some serious issues. In the meantime, my financial data is now inaccessible. Please advise ASAP what corrective action is planned.

Comments

• smzeh
    smzeh Member
    edited June 17
    Quicken updated this morning. I am now at release R 34.13
    Now Norton is giving an error message that the digital certificate for qw.exe is not valid. Quicken was updated as part of its startup process. I am not interested in answers referring to doing this in some abnormal process. Please fix the digital certificate so that it is valid for what R34.13 needs when updating automatically.
    When checking the release notes withing Quicken. I get a Firewall alert saying "Quicken CEF Subprocess does not have a valid digital signature." It notes the file name as qwSubprocess.exe

Thanks.
    I can bypass the errors and use the program, but using a program without valid certificates is not something I like to do.
  • dwpaul
    dwpaul Member ✭✭
    Note that I am also receiving a message from Norton that Quicken does not have a valid digital signature.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Moderator mod
    Hello @dwpaul

Thank you for reaching out here on Quicken community. I apologize that you are having this issue. 
    There is a Mondo Patch (R33.24) that you could try implementing to update your Quicken properly. Please follow the link below and select the latest update (US Version) to download. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Please note that you may need to momentarily disable your antivirus software to allow the Mondo Patch to update your Quicken software. 

Hope you find this helpful and let us know how it goes. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Same issue here. Removed and Reinstalled R34.13 and am able to access the data file but Norton is still throwing suspicious activity and certificate errors for an AWS site (Quicken Windows does not have a valid digital signature. accessing qcs-throttle-prod2.us-west.elasticbeanstalk.com 54.187.40.165:80 <-- !!!! not using SSL???)
  • bill505
    bill505 Member ✭✭
    Exact same issue as the original poster. After updating to R34.13 Quicken was prompting me to first convert file to Quicken 2004 (wow!). Also, Norton was throwing all kinds of serious problems with QW.EXE and would not allow me to use the program until I specifically excluded it from Norton's Data Protection.

Downloaded the Mondo patch, and it failed to install. Was able to restart Quicken, and did a "Check for Updates", and it wants me to update to an OLDER version, R33.24!

Was this update even tested?
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

We have reported the invalid certificate error to our teams who are currently investigating further. The failure of Quicken to load after updating may also be due to the antivirus software blocking the update from installing correctly

In the meantime the R34.13 release has been paused and is no longer available for download directly within Quicken.

While our teams are investigating this matter, we recommend installing the currently live version of R33.24, available here, and please let us know if you continue to experience issues with Quicken loading correctly.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • dwpaul
    dwpaul Member ✭✭
    When I attempt to execute the Mondo patch to revert to R33.24, the update program fails with the following error:

Could not parse the URL "Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol.

The IXP000.TMP folder is created at runtime of the patch, so is being properly created, and is removed when the patch program is closed.
  • bill505
    bill505 Member ✭✭
    Then I get this for update available... :#
  • Henry G Betts
    Henry G Betts Member ✭✭
    I applied the latest release this morning and my qw.exe process was blocked by Norton 360. I was able to add an exclusion to the Norton Data Protection function, which works, but Quicken has a serious technical problem with its latest release. I notified the Q support help line of the problem.
  • dwpaul
    dwpaul Member ✭✭
    edited June 17
    I rebooted my PC and again attempted to run QUP to revert to R33.24, again received the same error:

Could not parse the URL "Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol.

Note that the path to my AppData folder contains a space (c:\Users\Dave Paul\AppData) which appears to be mishandled in the message above, though the temporary folder is being created and deleted successfully, as is the file "C:\Users\Dave Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current\wyserver.wys".

This error occurs even when Norton Auto-Protect is turned off.
  • kenreynolds547
    kenreynolds547 Member ✭✭
    edited June 17
    Same problem after updating to R34.13. Norton blocks suspicious action qw.exe process. High severity
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dwpaul said:
    I rebooted my PC and again attempted to run QUP to revert to R33.24, again received the same error:

Note that the path to my AppData folder contains a space (c:\Users\Dave Paul\AppData) which appears to be mishandled in the message above, though the temporary folder is being created and deleted successfully, as is the file "C:\Users\Dave Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current\wyserver.wys".

This error occurs even when Norton Auto-Protect is turned off.

The quickest way around this old, often reported but apparently as yet unresolved installation script error is:
    Create a new local Windows User Account with Admin privileges and with a single word as the username, so that the path does not contain this blank space, e.g., C:\Users\Dave\AppData\...
    Logon to this new ID and run the installation Mondo file
    When done, log on to your normal Windows user name and run Quicken and everything else as usual.
  • dwpaul
    dwpaul Member ✭✭
    edited June 17
    @UKR, I appreciate that, but I should point out that I have had no problem over many years using QUP (executed from within Quicken) to apply any previous Quicken patch, including R34.13 just this morning, on the same system and using the same temporary path. I'm hesitant to try to employ workarounds like this a) because of the significant time it will take, and b) because there are clearly other issues pending resolution with an updated patch that could properly resolve this issue also. It seems more than possible that this issue was in fact resolved in a previous patch cycle, but that this issue has reappeared due to a code regression or the repetition of a previous coding error.
  • dwpaul
    dwpaul Member ✭✭
    edited June 18
    @UKR, instead of creating the new admin account, etc., I simply downloaded the install executable at https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it, and let it uninstall, reinstall and apply the latest released patches to Quicken. Since the problematic R34.13 is no longer the current release, only patches up to R33.24 were applied, and I have now regained access to my data. Unlike the standalone Mondo patch file, the patch routines built into qw.exe do not have a problem with the space in my %AppData% path.
  • AaronInTexas
    AaronInTexas Member ✭✭
    edited June 21
    > @Quicken Sarah said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.
    >
    > We have reported the invalid certificate error to our teams who are currently investigating further. The failure of Quicken to load after updating may also be due to the antivirus software blocking the update from installing correctly
    >
    > In the meantime the R34.13 release has been paused and is no longer available for download directly within Quicken.
    >
    > While our teams are investigating this matter, we recommend installing the currently live version of R33.24, available here, and please let us know if you continue to experience issues with Quicken loading correctly.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Sarah

I was just prompted to download the R34.13 update (did not know this problem existed until after) and having the same problems. it appears that R34.13 has NOT been paused. I installed R33.24 as you suggested and now my data files are again accessible. It appears that the mondo patch (33.24) works as advertised. I will hold off accepting future updates until this is resolved.
  • mblanc01
    mblanc01 Member
    After installing the R34.15 update released this morning (as prompted to do during a 1-step update), Quicken Deluxe build 27.1.34.15 will not open my datafile. I receive a "Convert your Quicken file" dialog advising me that my data file was "last used with Quicken unknown" and to download and install Quicken 2004 (!), open the data file, reinstall Quicken and then reopen the file.

In addition, Norton reported that qw.exe attempted to modify permissions on several directories that have nothing to do with Quicken, actions that Norton blocked.

It appears patch R34.15 was released with some serious issues. In the meantime, my financial data is now inaccessible. Please advise ASAP what corrective action is planned.
  • EllisGJ
    EllisGJ Member ✭✭
    I experienced the same issue. Terrible experience; I thought my financial data might have been hacked. In any event, I downloaded the full version of Quicken and installed it. Although I got error messages from Norton during the installation, it appears to be working now. Version 34.15.
  • JamesBMc
    JamesBMc Member
    > @EllisGJ said:
    > I experienced the same issue. Terrible experience; I thought my financial data might have been hacked. In any event, I downloaded the full version of Quicken and installed it. Although I got error messages from Norton during the installation, it appears to be working now. Version 34.15.

I did the same with success. I did change my passwords just in case which caused a littler more security issues. but it is working for now.
  • AaronInTexas
    AaronInTexas Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Sarah said:

> In the meantime the R34.13 release has been paused and is no longer available for download directly within Quicken.

Quicken just prompted me to install a new update (today - 6/29/2021) - what is the plan? Is this safe yet?
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • tnsprin
    tnsprin Member ✭✭
    just had a similar problem but now with 34.19. For now have put in the exclusion for qw.exe in Norton.
  • PatrickJ
    PatrickJ Member
    validating file, it says all ok. Is there a fix for this, and if so, how?
  • Lida
    Lida Member
    Norton's has blocked opening of Quicken because of a new qw.exe, is this safe?

What can I do to open quicken?
  • bill505
    bill505 Member ✭✭
    edited July 1
    And the errors just keep coming...

Tried Mondo Patch mondo_27.1.34.15_27.1.34.16 and mondo_27.1.34.16_27.1.34.19, both result in this error.

Having developed applications for 28 years, I am very surprised at the number basic install / patch problems with Quicken. Very disappointing.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    bill505 said:
    And the errors just keep coming...

Tried Mondo Patch mondo_27.1.34.15_27.1.34.16 and mondo_27.1.34.16_27.1.34.19, both result in this error.

Having developed applications for 28 years, I am very surprised at the number basic install / patch problems with Quicken. Very disappointing.

Please refer to this discussion for details and a resolution:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20188722#Comment_20188722

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @PatrickJ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

We will need some additional information in order to better assist your further.

First, could you please provide which version release of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

Are you unable to update just one account in a particular, or multiple/all accounts? If more than one account; are these accounts all connected to the same or multiple financial institutions (please include their name(s))? Also, which connection method are you using to connect (Express Web Connect or Direct Connect)? And aside from the "data is corrupt" message you are receiving; do you happen to also receive any specific error code(s) and/or any other error message(s) while attempting to connect that you could provide us with here, please?

The more details you are able to provide, the better we will be able to assist.

Please check back and let us know! Thank you.
    -Quicken Anja
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lida said:
    Norton's has blocked opening of Quicken because of a new qw.exe, is this safe?

What can I do to open quicken?

IMHO, yes, the new Quicken program should be safe.
    The funny thing is that my Norton hasn't blinked an eye when I installed the latest R 34.16 yesterday.
    Are you, per chance, installing Quicken into a Program Files folder other than the default
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken ?
    You may want to discuss this with Norton Support, to be sure your override is defined correctly.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW - looks like Quicken has corrected their Digital Certificate for the downloaded program -
    and it is no longer expired....

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • bill505
    bill505 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Please refer to this discussion for details and a resolution:
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20188722#Comment_20188722

I created a new Local user account with Admin permissions per the Quicken support article:

https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load

... Just more / different type of errors. Again, very disappointing.