quicken is changing my opening balance when I reconcile

For 3 months, quicken has changed the opening balance when I reconcile my account even though I reconciled it the previous month. It then puts in a balance adjustment, a deposit, that I didn't make and don't want in my register.
I have used quicken for many many years and have never had this problem. Why is it forgetting the the ending balance from the previous month?
I enter all transactions manually.

Answers

• LouiseG
    LouiseG Member
    Today I reconciled for 2 months, and when I did the second month, Quicken HAD remembered the opening balance correctly. (This is the second time I have reconciled 2 months on one day. Last time, it never remembered the opening balance correctly.)
    In any case, maybe the glitch is no longer occurring. I still have to figure out whether I can simply delete the erroneous balance adjustments that Quicken made, which are making my actual balance wrong.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    The Opening Balance of the reconcile or the Opening Balance of the account (1st transaction)?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • LouiseG
    LouiseG Member
    The opening balance of the reconcile. It used to be that I reconciled one month and then the next month quicken automatically knew the correct opening balance when I was ready to reconcile again.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    If the beginning balance of the reconcile is changing from what they were, it is because the Reconciled transactions have changed.

The opening balance of the reconcile is the sum total of all of the reconciled, "R" transactions in the register and is calculated at the time of reconciliation and not stored for future reference.

What could change that # is one of the following:
    1. a blank or C was changed to a R
    2. an R was changed to a blank or C
    3. the amount of an R was changed
    4. a new transaction was marked R to begin with
    5. a R transaction was deleted
  • LouiseG
    LouiseG Member
    Thanks. I will check those things.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I had this happen in testing a while back. It appeared Quicken was calculating the Opening Balance for the Web app which only goes back 3 years and applying it to accounts with more than 3 years years of transactions in the desktop account register.  After fixing the Opening Balance manually and turning off Sync, it has not reappeared.
  • LouiseG
    LouiseG Member
    I think I'm all set, though to be honest, I'm not sure why. I could easily have changed an "R" to a "C" or vice versa because I do not understand the difference between them. I will be more careful!
    "Sync" was not turned on, but thanks for that suggestion.

The initial reconcile balance is correct now which is a huge relief.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    LouiseG said:
    I think I'm all set, though to be honest, I'm not sure why. I could easily have changed an "R" to a "C" or vice versa because I do not understand the difference between them. I will be more careful!
    "Sync" was not turned on, but thanks for that suggestion.

The initial reconcile balance is correct now which is a huge relief.
    Here is my interpretation of "blank", "C","R".
    When I enter a transaction manually, it is blank.
    When I subsequently download a transaction, whether it matches to a manual transaction or is just inserted new, it is "C".
    When I get my statement from the financial institution and I compare it to what is in Quicken doing a reconcile, Ctrl+R, they become "R".
    If you have "auto-reconcile to the online balance" set for the account, the download changes them to "R".  I don't do auto-reconcile, so no comment further on that.