Actual Bank & Credit Card balances inaccurate compared to data in Quicken

I'm ready to give up on Quicken but have been using it successfully since 1993 so it's not like I don't have experience. I have the latest version of Quicken.

For some time I noticed that the balances for our credit card and bank accounts were getting more and more out of sync with the actual balances in the accounts within the file.

So a couple of weeks ago I stared over with a whole new file. Uploaded all the information for each bank account and credit card again. I made sure all accounts balances were accurate and I'm stunned to find they are significantly out of sync yet again. There is too much data to trawl over and over and over to keep on top of this. It's as if Quicken is going back over and amending transactions already uploaded...

Is anyone else having this issue? Any advise, please?

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    can you please provide a little more commentary on what you are describing.

First, the Bank is the System of Record.  Quicken should tie to the balances reported by the Bank - not the other way around.

what version of Quicken are you using? what Bank are you DOWNLOADING from? (hopefully not UPLOADING) from? How many years have you conducted business with this bank? Approx when did the Quicken issue first begin? 

suggestion: 1) download all transactions from the Bank.  2) force the balance in Quicken to match the Bank.  3) then the NEXT DAY download transactions from the Bank, paying close attention to what downloads and how that impacts Quicken.  What do you observe? Is it possible it's how the Bank is making the transactiosn available for download and not a Quicken issue? 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21
    I'm ready to give up on Quicken but have been using it successfully since 1993 so it's not like I don't have experience. I have the latest version of Quicken.

For some time I noticed that the balances for our credit card and bank accounts were getting more and more out of sync with the actual balances in the accounts within the file.
    Well then what Bank and/or Credit Card ?
    What "latest" version..... Help --> About Quicken
    and to clarify - you "download" info from the bank into Quicken -
    or maybe manually "download" and "import" into Quicken
    And of course, as a long time user,
    you do realize that the Quicken Register will show a different Balance depending upon your settings.
    Here is a biz checking acct.

And a personal CC acct

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10