Memorized transactions that are account-transfers constantly "forget" the category

This is a bug... Started a few months back... I have several memorized transactions that are actually account transfers (e.g. transaction named "checking transfer" with [checking] as the category OR a transaction named "cash" that has [cash] as the category)... Been using this for DECADES and all of the sudden it can't remember the category.

I think I've isolated the problem to account-transfers. that it's not forgetting other categories although I do think earlier this year it was forgetting almost all types of categories. I see complaints of very similar nature in these forums.

PLEASE FIX!

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Moderator mod
    Hello @dgyp

Thank you for reaching out on Quicken Community and I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. It sounds as if your memorized payee rules are not being applied properly. I would suggest to make sure that you have only one line item in your memorized payee list for this specific payee.

You can locate this information by selecting Tools >Memorized payee list.

If you have only one line item for this payee make sure that you have the correct information (category/splits, tag, memo) and the lock/never auto categories boxes checked. You can find more information on editing your memorized payee list with the following link. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-use-memorized-payee-list-quicken-windows

Hope this help you out. Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma 
  • dgyp
    dgyp Member
    > @"Quicken Paloma " said:
    > Hello @dgyp, 
    >
    > Thank you for reaching out on Quicken Community and I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. It sounds as if your memorized payee rules are not being applied properly. I would suggest to make sure that you have only one line item in your memorized payee list for this specific payee.
    >
    > You can locate this information by selecting Tools >Memorized payee list.
    >
    > If you have only one line item for this payee make sure that you have the correct information (category/splits, tag, memo) and the lock/never auto categories boxes checked. You can find more information on editing your memorized payee list with the following link. 
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-use-memorized-payee-list-quicken-windows
    >
    > Hope this help you out. Let us know how it goes!
    >
    > -Quicken Paloma 

Thank you for the response Paloma but the problem persists. I'll focus here on a single TXN as an example but from what I can tell the problem is any time the category is an account.

My memorized transaction list contains exactly one entry for a transaction called "cash". I use it when I get cash from my bank so in my checking account, I type "cash" and the memorized transaction shows up and the category, when it doesn't forget is [cash]. I may change the amount from time to time but I have 100.00 and set it as a locked transaction since that's what I get 99% of the time.

That locked transaction had [cash] as the category - that is, it would transfer money from my bank account to my cash account where I track my out-of-pocket spending but today the category is gone again/blank/empty. I know for a fact I had this saved and locked recently but it was ~6/15 the last time I got cash so I can't know when it was that the transaction lost it's memory of the category.

When I go to memorized transaction list sure enough, the category has been blanked out.

I put it back in. I exited Quicken and came back in and the [cash] category is still present in the memorized transaction. I backed up and exited, came back in and it's still there. But, it will disappear at some point - can't reproduce it at will or I'd include that detail but I have already done this 3-4 times in the last couple of months so I know it will disappear (unless the bug was just fixed)
  • dgyp
    dgyp Member
    How can I get this entered as a bug and fixed?

I was out of town for a week and I come back and sure enough, "cash" and ALL other account-transfer-types of memorized transactions have lost their "category" again.

I've been doing this exact type of transaction for seriously something like 25 years. I know how to edit a memorized transaction and I use this "account transfer" type of memorized transaction multiple times a month at the very least, if not multiple per week and it simply broke.

I vaguely recall there being an issue in the May timeframe where a ton of my memorized transactions lost their category. I fixed all of my frequently used ones and the others have all been "sticky" - it's just these account-transfer types that are broken.

To reproduce: create an account transfer memorized transaction (something like "cash withdrawl" and make an account your category, like [cash]". It'll work... use it a few times. Come back a few days later and try again and the category will be blanked-out.