RESOLVED 7/20/21 Prompt to Enter Data File Password when No Password is Assigned

Wondering if anybody else had an issue lately with Quicken updates and locking your Quicken file? I started my Quicken for Windows tonight and it started an update. After the update happened it had me restart Quicken and when I did it asked for my data file PW which I've never had to provide before. I entered it and it's saying it's the wrong PW? I tried the forgot PW link and nothing happens. I can see whatever it did created 3 different backup files from today also, yet all require a PW that I'm being told is wrong. I've check numerous times and it's the correct PW. Not sure what's going on, but everything worked fine on the 19th when I logged in and made updates. Not sure what to do or how to fix, but very upsetting if somehow the update broke something and now I've lost all my most recent entries from my last backup.

Best Answer

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    edited July 14 Accepted Answer
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

We are investigating a Quicken for Windows issue which causes files to unexpectedly require a password.  It appears that this issue has affected a small number of users in R32, R33 and R34. 

While the investigation is on-going, we request that impacted users enable automatic backups (if not already enabled) and restore a backup copy of the data file.  Note that Quicken automatically creates a backup file when a new patch is downloaded and installed.

To access this backup, open the File menu > Backup and Restore > Restore Backup file > Open Backup Directory.  

The files appear with the release number in the file name:

To enable automatic backups, open Quicken and go to the Edit menu > Preferences and select Backup from the list on the left.  On the right side of the window, check the box for automatic backups and adjust the frequency preference as needed.

In the meantime, please 'bookmark' this thread by clicking the bookmark icon in the upper right to be automatically notified as further updates and/or a resolution for this issue become available.

Thank you,

Sarah

Answers

• Jan729
    Jan729 Member
    I spent several hours updating my accounts last night. I was able to access my file without a password. Tonight, I tried to access the file and now it is asking for a password. When I click on "Forgot password?" nothing happens. I tried restoring my backup from last night and that has a password also. I have a backup from the previous night, but I will have to reenter several hours of data. I am able to access all of my other data files without any problems. I looked up the problem and found that if I contact Quicken Support, I can request a password removal. I clicked on contact support and choose online chat, because the number to call is long distance. After being on "chat" with an agent for over 45 minutes, I was told to call back tomorrow during normal business hours (using the long distance number.) Why did it take them 45 minutes to tell me that they couldn't help me. Has anyone else had this problem accessing their file? I am very frustrated and dissatisfied with Quicken support!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In general when a data file all of a sudden "get a password" when none was set, that is a sign of a corrupted data file.  Restoring from the backup may be the only way to get into the data file.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • davdirift
    davdirift Member
    Chris. I think there is something else going on. I just had this happen and was told to call during business hours Assisted Service. However, on that same login screen, the link to request a password reset doesn't work. Has Quicken had a data breach, and are they locking down compromised files?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    No Quicken hasn't had a data breach, and as far as I know they have no system for locking down data files by adding a password to the data file.  I recommend that you contact Quicken support:
    Contact Quicken Support
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken updates never change a user's file to be password protected. What you describe indicates a corrupted data file. You should run a data file validation at your earliest convenience. File>Validate and Repair File. You will need to restore to a file prior to the PW lock, then validate.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • DrewJo
    DrewJo Member
    This is not a corrupted file. Corrupted files are inaccessible/contents not readable. This particular problem, according to Quicken support, is the result of a recent update (Windows subscription) pushed to our machines that locked the file with an unknown password and the only resolution is that users have to restore from a back-up made two months (prior to the update in question) presumably or to FTP the *.QDF file to Quicken for an attempt to unlock it. How exactly did this 'development/update' get past the testers and production pilot testers? I've contacted customer service 4x (1 chat and 3 calls). Support person Andrea tells me a recent update to Quicken has caused this and I have to restore from an old back up, which I refused to do. Support person Emilio on the phone loses his connection almost immediately. Support person George acknowledges the problem and has me FTP my *.QDF file to Quicken support. A support call back from Kevin who is helpful but adamant a Quicken update couldn't possibly have password-protected/locked my file/caused this problem. The implication being that in the past 5 days (my last registry entries were 7/7/2021) I must have encrypted/pwd-protected my Quicken data and forgotten all about it, which of course is absurd since I have been using this product for 20 years and have never once used a password on the local Quicken files/data. No fault to any of these people who've listened to dissatisfied me and have been helpful but there needs to be some serious root cause analysis at Quicken to see what happened and why.
  • Trax
    Trax Member ✭✭
    Just had this exact thing happen. Put a full 12 hours in this past Saturday and when I opened quicken Sunday morning my data file asked for a password. I never set a password. I click the forgot password link and nothing happens. Since I never set a password, I also never entered in security questions. My back up file is also requesting a password. I called quicken support twice today, an hour each call, and their password removal tool isn't working to correct this. They are still working on it however I have a feeling I'm going to have to restore a old backup and re-enter hours of info. I love the simplicity of this program but at this point I'm considering other options at this point.
  • Trax
    Trax Member ✭✭
    Same exact thing happened to me this weekend and "dissatisfied me" is putting it nicely.
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited July 14 Accepted Answer
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

We are investigating a Quicken for Windows issue which causes files to unexpectedly require a password.  It appears that this issue has affected a small number of users in R32, R33 and R34. 

While the investigation is on-going, we request that impacted users enable automatic backups (if not already enabled) and restore a backup copy of the data file.  Note that Quicken automatically creates a backup file when a new patch is downloaded and installed.

To access this backup, open the File menu > Backup and Restore > Restore Backup file > Open Backup Directory.  

The files appear with the release number in the file name:

To enable automatic backups, open Quicken and go to the Edit menu > Preferences and select Backup from the list on the left.  On the right side of the window, check the box for automatic backups and adjust the frequency preference as needed.

In the meantime, please 'bookmark' this thread by clicking the bookmark icon in the upper right to be automatically notified as further updates and/or a resolution for this issue become available.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Quicken Sarah
    DrewJo said:
    This is not a corrupted file. Corrupted files are inaccessible/contents not readable. This particular problem, according to Quicken support, is the result of a recent update (Windows subscription) pushed to our machines that locked the file with an unknown password and the only resolution is that users have to restore from a back-up made two months (prior to the update in question) presumably or to FTP the *.QDF file to Quicken for an attempt to unlock it. How exactly did this 'development/update' get past the testers and production pilot testers? I've contacted customer service 4x (1 chat and 3 calls). Support person Andrea tells me a recent update to Quicken has caused this and I have to restore from an old back up, which I refused to do. Support person Emilio on the phone loses his connection almost immediately. Support person George acknowledges the problem and has me FTP my *.QDF file to Quicken support. A support call back from Kevin who is helpful but adamant a Quicken update couldn't possibly have password-protected/locked my file/caused this problem. The implication being that in the past 5 days (my last registry entries were 7/7/2021) I must have encrypted/pwd-protected my Quicken data and forgotten all about it, which of course is absurd since I have been using this product for 20 years and have never once used a password on the local Quicken files/data. No fault to any of these people who've listened to dissatisfied me and have been helpful but there needs to be some serious root cause analysis at Quicken to see what happened and why.
    Hello @DrewJo

We appreciate your sharing the details of your experiencing with Support and sincerely apologize for the information provided.  

Our teams are investigating this behavior and have identified it occurring in versions R32, R33, and R34, so it is not connected to the latest release as stated by the support agent you spoke with, I apologize for the confusion and misinformation provided.

I would like to look into the contacts with Support further and have sent a private message to your community inbox to discuss this matter further.

I look forward to your response and thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

Sarah

• Quicken Sarah
    edited July 20
    RESOLVED 7/20/21

This issue has been resolved and the fix made available in the (currently staged and paused) R34.24 release.

Please Note: This fix will not retroactively correct any data files that were affected by this bug and have become password protected.  The fix will prevent this behavior from happening again.

If you have not received a prompt in Quicken to install the R34.24 release, it is available by downloading and installing the Mondo Patch available here.

We appreciate your patience while this issue was being investigated and apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

Sarah