Categorization

A few months ago I changed a setting (I can't remember what) thinking that Quicken would categorize all future transactions to existing payees as I had been manually categorizing them. Instead, Quicken changed all my previous (and new) categorizations to categories I did not want (using some type of logic built into Quicken I suppose. This wrecked my entire Quicken file (18 months of work). Is there a way to fix the categories on all past transactions back to the way I chose? What setting should I change so that Quicken does not do this any more in the future?

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a backup you can restore?  You should always make a backup before changing things so you can go back if you don't like the results.
  • robert schenker
    robert schenker Member ✭✭
    Thank you. Yes, I have a back-up. However, I think I made the setting change a few months ago before I went away for two months. So at best, I will have to redownload and re-reconcile months of activity on multiple accounts
  • robert schenker
    robert schenker Member ✭✭
    Also, is there a way to view a file before restoring so I know how far back I have to go (I back-up and save every time I update Quicken) to find an uncontaminated back-up?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, is there a way to view a file before restoring so I know how far back I have to go (I back-up and save every time I update Quicken) to find an uncontaminated back-up?
    If you do not want to overwrite the current Quicken file, choose Create a copy when you restore a backup.