Quicken duplicated an account

I just noticed that Quicken set up a new account which duplicates all the transactions in my checking account for the past 18 months. Is there a way to delete the duplicate account completely without creating a bigger problem?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest and most reliable way to undo any change to a Quicken file is to restore a Quicken file backup saved before the change was made.

To delete an account, open the account, press Ctrl + Shift + E, and select Delete.
  • robert schenker
    robert schenker Member ✭✭
    Thank you. Yes, I have a back-up. However, I think I made the setting change a few months ago before I went away for two months. So at best, I will have to redownload and re-reconcile months of activity on multiple accounts
  • robert schenker
    What setting do I have to change to keep this from happening again?
  • robert schenker
    Also, is there a way to view a file before restoring so I know how far back I have to go (I back-up and save every time I update Quicken) to find an uncontaminated back-up?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    The most common reason for a "duplicate account" is that you already had this account in Q, and when you tried to set the account up for download, you neglected to choose the "LINK" option for connecting the account to online.
    Just delete the duplicate account and then re-attempt the online connection, being sure this time to use the LINK option in the drop-down menu instead of accepting the default ADD action.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What setting do I have to change to keep this from happening again?
    There is no setting. 

One reason a new account may appear is, if we setup Online Services for an existing register, but neglect to select link and the appropriate register.
  • robert schenker
    Regarding the Quicken recategorization of transactions going back 18 months. When I find the correct file to restore, obviously the uncontaminated data will be restored. Will the setting I erroneously changed in Quicken that created the recategorization problem also be restored to the old value? Or, if not, what do I have to correct in Quicken so it no does not happen to the restored file?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the Quicken recategorization of transactions going back 18 months. When I find the correct file to restore, obviously the uncontaminated data will be restored. Will the setting I erroneously changed in Quicken that created the recategorization problem also be restored to the old value? Or, if not, what do I have to correct in Quicken so it no does not happen to the restored file?
    The settings maintained in the Quicken file should be restored with the rest of the data.  There are a few Quicken settings that are maintained in other files but they're should not impact categories.
  • robert schenker
    Thank you Sherlock.
  • robert schenker
    Thank you notaCPA
  • robert schenker
    This keeps getting worse. I opened a file I backed up on February 18 and on top of a few of my main accounts it says the last download was July 3, 2021 (although the data only goes up to Feb 18) . How could that happen? Of course all the erroneous recategorizations are still there.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This keeps getting worse. I opened a file I backed up on February 18 and on top of a few of my main accounts it says the last download was July 3, 2021 (although the data only goes up to Feb 18) . How could that happen? Of course all the erroneous recategorizations are still there.
    The last online session information is maintained in the runtime.dat file within a Quicken file specific folder in the hidden \ProgramData\Quicken\Inet folder.  It should be benign and unrelated to the recategorizations.
  • robert schenker
    I found and viewed a copy of the February 18 file without restoring it. Would that be the reason the transactions were in their erroneous recategorized state (i.e. the new setting causing the recategorization were applied to the file I viewed but not restored)
  • robert schenker
    Under register preferences and data entry and Quickfill there is an option "offer to update past transactions when categorization is changed" (I have this clicked). Underneath and indented is an option "only when updating uncategorized transactions". However when change a categorization, I get no offer and nothing is changed. Why?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under register preferences and data entry and Quickfill there is an option "offer to update past transactions when categorization is changed" (I have this clicked). Underneath and indented is an option "only when updating uncategorized transactions". However when change a categorization, I get no offer and nothing is changed. Why?
    I don't have those preferences checked and I don't understand why anyone would.
  • robert schenker
    I checked it hoping it would be able to easily fix for all the erroneous miscategorizations created by Quicken (which I think happened when I may have allowed auto categorization, never dreaming it would retroactively change 18 months of work. I was hoping it would autocategorize only going forward and would follow my lead).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I checked it hoping it would be able to easily fix for all the erroneous miscategorizations created by Quicken (which I think happened when I may have allowed auto categorization, never dreaming it would retroactively change 18 months of work. I was hoping it would autocategorize only going forward and would follow my lead).
    Checking the Automatically categorize transactions preference should not retroactively change 18 months of work.  It should only set a category on imported transactions based on a merchant code if necessary.

Based on your description of the erroneous miscategorizations, I suspect either Quicken file or cloud account corruption.

• robert schenker
    Well I don't know how my Quicken files (and no other programs on my pc) keep getting corrupted. After the years long problem of dropped transactions, I got a new computer, a new version of Quicken and I started a new quicken file in 2020. I have antivirus software. Yet if you are correct, I have another major problem with corruption. I have no idea how to stop it getting corrupted again. Right now I am looking for the quickest way to correct the retroactively miscategorized transactions.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I don't know how my Quicken files (and no other programs on my pc) keep getting corrupted. After the years long problem of dropped transactions, I got a new computer, a new version of Quicken and I started a new quicken file in 2020. I have antivirus software. Yet if you are correct, I have another major problem with corruption. I have no idea how to stop it getting corrupted again. Right now I am looking for the quickest way to correct the retroactively miscategorized transactions.
    I don't know enough about how you work with Quicken to explain why you appear to be prone to corruption but these issues have nothing to do with a computer virus or malware.