Why don't memorized payees keep the assigned category during register entry?

I have a number of memorized payees, each with an assigned category. For example, I memorized a local grocery store with the category Food & Household. This is verified in the Memorized Payee List window. However, when I start to enter the name in an account register and select the payee, the category is now blank in the register. The saved category used to show up automatically in the register until a recent Quicken update. How can this be corrected?

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Moderator mod
    Hello @ggranger3

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. I apologize you are having issues with your memorized payee(s). While your payee may be in the memorized master list with the correct category in place it is also important to have it "locked." This will prevent the payee information to remain unchanged even when being entered into the register. 

To lock your payee select Tools >Memorized Payee List >Edit. Visual example is below. 

Additionally, make sure that if you have more than one line item for a single payee, keep the one that is correct and eliminate the others. For more information on this click here

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

-Quicken Paloma 

• ggranger3
    ggranger3 Member
    Thanks for responding. I did not mention it, but I already "locked" the payee as suggested, since that was directed in the Quicken help link. However, the category remains blank in the register and has to be re-entered every time. This used to work perfectly, but stopped a couple of updates ago. Is something else that I am supposed to do?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7
    I'm puzzled.
    When I start entering a new transaction in a banking account register and begin filling in the Payee Name, a popup shows me a selection list of the MPL entries, positioned to the starting characters I typed.
    Making a selection from the popup or simply tabbing to the next field, accepting the selected item, fills out the rest of the transaction, category and memo included. Is that not happening for you?
    Review your settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill.
    In the box about Data Entry all but the first item should have a checkmark.

• ggranger3
    ggranger3 Member
    No, that is not happening for me. The data from the payee list is not populating the relevant data fields. I checked the preferences as you suggested and the data entry settings are correct. I heard from another user who suggested validating my data file, and it turns out that is the issue. I made a temporary test file and the issue did not happen with that file. Now I have to figure out how to go back to a good data file. It seems the issues appeared when support for Quicken Premier 2017 ended and I went to the subscription model, Don't know if that's related, though. Maybe coincidental. Hmmm....