Stuck with blank 'Enter Quicken ID Password' screen

There are many, many posts on this topic dating back to at least 2019, but I can't seem to find a consistent solution and I am appalled that Quicken has not fixed this persistent issue that has been a problem for so many users. When I open the application (Quicken subscription for Windows, current version), I am stuck with a blank 'Enter Quicken ID Password' screen and the rest of the application is grayed out and unresponsive - my only choice is to close out with Task Manager. If I reboot my laptop and disable all network connections (Ethernet and WiFi) I can access Quicken temporarily, but when I re-enable Internet I get the blank screen of death as soon as the application tries to access the Quicken servers. This happened to me last year and I was able to get the application working by uninstalling and reinstalling, but that's a pretty drastic solution -- anyone else have a quicker and less painful remedy?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/blankwhite-registration-screen
  • nsmrb18
    nsmrb18 Member
    Thanks. I made it only to step #2 ("sign out of Quicken and sign back in") before the application crashed completely. Not just the blank "enter Quicken ID" screen - now it's a complete application crash with a 'send error report' request. I just tried a complete uninstall and reinstall, and I still cannot load the application without a crash.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    nsmrb18 said:
    Thanks. I made it only to step #2 ("sign out of Quicken and sign back in") before the application crashed completely. Not just the blank "enter Quicken ID" screen - now it's a complete application crash with a 'send error report' request. I just tried a complete uninstall and reinstall, and I still cannot load the application without a crash.
    If you haven't already, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install, and update: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

I suggest you start Quicken without opening a Quicken file: press the Ctrl key and open Quicken. 

You should then be able to restore a good Quicken file backup and reset the Quicken ID associated with the restored Quicken file if necessary (aka step #2).

• ddeveaux
    ddeveaux Member ✭✭
    edited July 2021
    [Removed -Rant]
  • tdroz
    tdroz Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/blankwhite-registration-screen

Step 1 worked for me, Validate and repair file. Thanks
  • andyc3
    andyc3 Member ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure this blank login screen is a Microsoft Defender firewall issue. I uninstalled QW, and then downloaded/installed the most recent version. I pointed it to my .qdf file and got a blank screen. So I started again and reinstalled but this time I told the app to start a new qdf file (I had protected my real qdf database file by changing its extension) and continued the set up process. I was confronted with a Windows Defender Firewall screen which told me "Windows Defender firewall has blocked some features of Windows host process (rundll32) on all public and private networks" It references the following file: c:\Windows\syswow64\rundll32.exe. The next part of the pop-up shows a checked box to allow the Windows host process (rundll32.exe) to run on private networks [but not on public networks]. My inference is that starting a new data file invoked a system check on the state of the firewall and when that check found an untenable configuration (i.e., blocked on all networks) the installation software fixed the likely problem and launched the informative firewall popup. When the setup process called for registering this new test datafile I backtracked and pointed QW at my real data file (with extension changed back to qdf) and voila(!) the database opened without issue.

As preparation for the above testing I had installed QW on a clean PC that had never seen a QW installation previously. The installation was smooth (i.e., no Windows defender popup) and when I pointed the app to my real database file (copied from USB), the QW app opened my real (copy) qdf data file without a problem. So the file wasn't corrupted.

Thus, the rundll32 issue seems to arise from my local PC configuration. Before I ran into the blank login screen problem I had taken two QW actions. 1) I had changed my Quicken.com password; and 2) I had accepted the automated update to the most recent version. I also run HideAway VPN. My guess is that one of those two actions, either separately or in concert, triggered a change in state for rundll32 to block everything but unlike a clean installation, a reinstallation doesn't/didn't check for the state of rundll32.exe to make sure it was functional for QW authentication. I leave it to QW develoment/troubleshooting team to get to the bottom of this issue and make sure that rundll32 is allowing private networks as part of the installation process. Note: I have a screenshot of the Windows Defender message as a PNG if someone wants me to email it. I have no idea whether the VPN is also part of the issue.

Lastly, I would urge QW developers to move the authentication checkto later in the file opening process. By putting it at the beginning, a user a failed authentication does not enable the user to access ANY of the QW menu functions. So sage advice such as make a backup of your dataset or tell me which version of QW you're running are currently actions that are foreclosed and not routinely available via the completely blocked QW menus. I see no harm in allowing all of QW to function, except file opening, in the absence of authentication (realize that this creates a tricky situation for invoking "Backup" as a menu choice). But I'm betting QW developers can solve that.

Cheers,
    Andy
  • nsmrb18
    nsmrb18 Member
    The problem for me occurs whenever I accidentally open or use Quicken without access to the internet. Say, for example, if I load Quicken while I'm in airplane mode on a flight, or if my home internet happens to go out while I'm using Quicken. Then, the next time I try to use Quicken (even if internet access is restored), I get the blank white "Enter Quicken ID" screen of death, and there is absolutely no way to get into the application. This happens to me about once a month. My only workaround is:

(1) Log into my Quicken account online
    (2) Sign out of all devices
    (3) Uninstall Quicken on my laptop
    (4) Download and re-install a fresh copy of Quicken
    (5) Re-open my old QDATA.QDF file

This happens so routinely that I am now resigned to living with the problem.
This discussion has been closed.