Who is going to fix my data?

Tried to reconcile my account and noticed about $3000 variance in starting balance. Ran file validate and Quicken spat out more than a dozen issues including transactions "linked to account(s) that are no longer in Quicken" (the accounts ARE still in quicken), and the following "transfers appear to be damaged. You should delete them and recreate as appropriate."

I've done nothing except for use Quicken the way it is intended to be used. No accounts have been added or deleted. The list of issues goes back years, and yet everything was just fine a month ago.

This is going to take hours or even days worth of time to fix.

So my question is... who from Quicken it going to do this? Fault lies with the software, not the user. So should not be the user's responsibility to fix.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? Have you tried restoring a backup and then validating?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8
    and the usual Q .... What version .... Help --> About Quicken
    Do you have SYNC enabled for access to the Quicken Cloud and Quicken Mobile App and Quicken on the Web
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Quercus47
    Quercus47 Member ✭✭
    My data file is in Quicken's default file location. I do have a backup and had to go two months back to find one that validated without an issue.

But that's all just work-around. I've used quicken as it is intended to be used and it shouldn't just randomly mess up that data. Yes, I have a complex set of finances with many accounts. But quicken is supposed to be a main-stream application capable of handling this. As I've documented in several other posts, quicken is an erratic and unstable program and routinely does random things (like mysteriously deleting a category, assigning bizarre categories to downloaded transactions after I've told it not to auto categorize, adding new memorized payees after I've told it not so memorize new payees, and more). Not to mention randomly corrupting a data file.

Given the essential nature of quicken's function, this level of instability is just not acceptable or tolerable. I cannot trust it.

I'm going to switch back to MoneyDance. It may not be as slick or feature-rich is quicken, but the program is relatively comprehensive and its data structure is rock-solid. I'll sleep a lot better at night knowing my data is secure, rather than waking up every day wondering what quicken has done this time.

Good bye quicken.
  • epitts500
    epitts500 Member ✭✭
    I am having similar problems with my program. Several of my stocks simply do not update price, and a couple of mutual fund accounts just do not add totals correctly. Quicken has been a real problem for about a year now.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9
    @Quercus47, is your Documents folder keep in OneDrive? Also, do you sync to the Quicken Cloud.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • zeblon
    zeblon Member ✭✭
    In spite of OneDrive being an easy scapegoat, it is probably not the problem even if that's where the file is stored. OneDrive is not nearly as susceptible to corruption as I've often seen stated here.