U.S. Bank Internet Banking error CC-505

Since July 10, 2021, U.S. Bank Internet Banking has been returning error code CC-505
after Update Now (Ctrl+Alt+U). The Validate and Repair File operation finds no errors.
U.S. Bank Internet Banking uses the Express Web Connect connection method.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    If you have not already done so, you might want to read the following Support article:  https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-cc-505.
    As stated in that article, for some reason, USB has likely placed a temporary block on the server(s) that Quicken uses and we pretty much just need to trying updating via OSU and/or Update Now later.
    FYI:  The IRS started sending out Child Tax Credit payments this week.  It is very possible that this is why USB has placed a temporary block on the server(s).  USB and other banks placed temporary blocks on their servers preventing Quicken from when the IRS sent out the previous Stimulus Payments to prevent their systems from overloading and perhaps crashing.
    As noted by @NotACPA you could try to upgrade your connection to Direct Connect but if I am correct that the block is in place because of Child Tax Credit payments, you might still be blocked from downloading.
    If you absolutely cannot wait or do not wish to wait until the block(s) are lifted (or do not want to pay the fee USB charges for DC) you can try logging into your USB online account and downloading/importing transactions in the Quicken (.QFX) format.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.24 on Windows 10)

Answers

• tom15
    tom15 Member ✭✭
    I just started having the same issue today.
  • mrpiecjohnson
    mrpiecjohnson Member
    I, too, have been receiving this error as of July 14, 2020 (US Bank CC-505 error Express Web), and I have an account balance to complete.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited July 14
    USB's implementation of Express Web Connect has ALWAYS been flaky, at best (I'm their customer also).
    SO, I consider it to be WELL WORTH the $3.95/month to download ALL of my USB accounts via Direct Connect.
    You need to contact USB to make the switch, since they need to set up the automatic billing on their side and to turn on DC for your accounts.
    Using DC, I'm not having any problems with downloading from them.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • zhezhang
    zhezhang Member ✭✭
    Same CC-505 since this morning 7-14 2021.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Accepted Answer
    If you have not already done so, you might want to read the following Support article:  https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-cc-505.
    As stated in that article, for some reason, USB has likely placed a temporary block on the server(s) that Quicken uses and we pretty much just need to trying updating via OSU and/or Update Now later.
    FYI:  The IRS started sending out Child Tax Credit payments this week.  It is very possible that this is why USB has placed a temporary block on the server(s).  USB and other banks placed temporary blocks on their servers preventing Quicken from when the IRS sent out the previous Stimulus Payments to prevent their systems from overloading and perhaps crashing.
    As noted by @NotACPA you could try to upgrade your connection to Direct Connect but if I am correct that the block is in place because of Child Tax Credit payments, you might still be blocked from downloading.
    If you absolutely cannot wait or do not wish to wait until the block(s) are lifted (or do not want to pay the fee USB charges for DC) you can try logging into your USB online account and downloading/importing transactions in the Quicken (.QFX) format.
  • Scott Hander
    Scott Hander Member
    Getting similar issue on Mac version error says FI:Website_Unavailable, haven't been able to download from US Bank since July 9. Only affecting US Bank.
  • NotACPA
    @Boatnmaniac But, if it WERE the "Child Tax Credit" issue ... wouldn't DC be impacted also?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited July 15
    NotACPA said:
    @Boatnmaniac But, if it WERE the "Child Tax Credit" issue ... wouldn't DC be impacted also?
    As mentioned in the 2nd to last paragraph of my last post, DC might also be affected.  But the last 3 Stimulus payments OSU issues were pretty hit-or-miss for me.  Sometimes I could connect, again, if I waited until late at night or early in the morning to run OSU.  Other times I could connect with DC but not with EWC.  Other times I could connect with EWC but not with DC.  It lead me to believe that the FIs were probably throttling the number of Quicken connections, not totally blocking them.  So, it is logical that the same thing might be occurring now because of the Child Tax Credit payments being made, especially since the number of payments being made is very large (I heard that something like 95% of all people with minor children are eligible for some sort of Child Tax Credit...that is a LOT of EFT payments). 
    While it is possible that the Child Tax Credit payments are causing the issue I do not know that for a fact.  What I do know is that yesterday morning I was able to successfully download from USB with EWC but last night I was not able to (same CC-505 error code).  Then this morning I was able to download successfully via EWC.  If I run into the same CC-505 error code this evening then I think it helps to validate that conclusion the Child Tax Credit payments are likely the cause. 
    One other thing:  Have you noticed how many people are posting about getting CC-5XX, OL-301 and OL-297 error codes within the last few days?  I seem to recall that this is exactly what happened during the 3 Stimulus payouts.  It's all speculation but the pattern is similar.
  • NotACPA
    edited July 16
    I download from USB every morning, via Scheduled Updates using DC, and have experienced NO problem at any time.
    I'm simply asking why, if it's a throttling issue (in response to the Child Tax Credit) is EWC impacted and not DC.
    To me, it simply looks like more USB flakiness in their implementation of EWC.  USB regularly has problems with EWC and this is simply more of the same.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited July 15
    NotACPA said:
    I download from USB every morning, via Scheduled Updates using DC, and have experienced NO problem at any time.
    I'm simply asking why, it it's a throttling issue (in response to the Child Tax Credit) is EWC impacted an not DC.
    To me, it simply looks like more EWC flakiness in their implementation of EWC.  USB regularly has problems with EWC and this is simply more of the same.

I usually download from USB every morning, too, via EWC and don't usually have any issues.  But there is no doubt that in most cases DC is a more reliable method.
    I seem to recall the CC-505 error codes reported in this thread were being encountered later in the day.  It was certainly that way for me.  During the Stimulus throttling/blocking the issue was most pronounced later in the day and by late night or the next morning many people were able to update their accounts, again.  The way it was explained to me (by one of the Moderators) is that later in the day is when most of the EFT transactions get processed and dropped into the various FIs.  Those massive data dumps required priority resource allocation to ensure their systems would not crash or be significantly delayed.  In order to accomplish that one of the things the FIs did was to restrict access to their servers by Quicken and other 3rd party applications.  Some even went so far as to also limit what customers could see and do in their online accounts.  By the next morning the data dumps had been processed and the restrictions were eased.  The process repeated for several days (for nearly 2 wks with the 1st Stimulus payments dumps).
    You said you do your DC OSU updates in the morning.  Did you try running DC last night?  If not, maybe it was affected last night, too?
  • NotACPA
    I ran DC for USB just now, 5:46pm CDT.  No problems.

• Boatnmaniac
    I ran EWC for USB just now (7:27pm CDT).  No problems...just like this morning there were no problems.  So, maybe it was just a one-off issue (system maintenance?) for yesterday.  It would be good to know if others who got the CC-505 error code are also no longer getting it.
  • tom15
    tom15 Member ✭✭
    I have been able to run EWC since yesterday and it is working fine.