Quicken File is suddenly password protected - never set a password

I can't begin to express my utter distress over this development. A recent update has apparently created a random password for my data file. When I hit the link for "forgot password" I am taken... uh... well, NOWHERE. Very nice feature you have there, a link that goes nowhere. Extremely helpful. But I digress. This is particularly upsetting since I spent quite a lot of time two days ago updating the file, and it was completely up-to-date. I opened the only backup that worked (there was a more recent backup that ALSO is password protected) and, you guessed it - I was back where I started two days ago. We're talking about SEVERAL HOURS of work getting things up to date. This is unacceptable. I require an answer to this problem ASAP, one that does not make me re-do all of this work. For the money I spend on this program I am starting to think that an Excel spreadsheet might be a more viable alternative. I know there are cheaper alternatives, and any one of them has got to be better than this.

Why? Because THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED. Several updates ago this happened but I did not lose hours of work in that particular instance. You would think that Quicken would have this figured out and not let it happen AGAIN.

Can you tell I'm pretty damned peeved?

Jerry S

Answers

• xtc091157
    xtc091157 Member ✭✭
    None of the "suggested" remedies work for me. For instance, when I try to restore the backup, it STILL asks for the password. Clicking the link for "forgot password" goes nowhere. The best I could do was to restore a backup previously created before I did all of the work described above. In other words, more time wasted. WASTED. This is unacceptable.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    What you're describing is a corrupted Q data file.  This is entirely a user issue as Q (the program) has no way of controlling your PC and the data corruption therein.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • xtc091157
    xtc091157 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > What you're describing is a corrupted Q data file.  This is entirely a user issue as Q (the program) has no way of controlling your PC and the data corruption therein.

So what you are saying is that all of a sudden a bunch of users got the same corruption in their files all at once and it created a password? Not likely.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    It IS a corrupted Q data file.  Denying that won't help anything.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • xtc091157
    xtc091157 Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > listed up in the top area -
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7895786/new-7-13-21-prompt-to-enter-data-file-password-when-no-password-is-assigned#latest

> @NotACPA said:
    > It IS a corrupted Q data file.  Denying that won't help anything.

I don't know who either of you are, but you cannot convince me that you are correct. This problem has happened to me in the past and an update of Quicken corrected the problem. Please get your facts straight. It's pretty simple - Quicken screwed something up and can't fix it this time.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You base your statement xtc091157 said:
    So what you are saying is that all of a sudden a bunch of users got the same corruption in their files all at once and it created a password? Not likely.
    Do you realize that your "bunch of users" are in fact two or three including yourself, and that thousand of people have updated and not had any problems?

Since you won't believe anyone on this forum I suggest you contact Quicken Support.
    Contact Quicken Support
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15
    xtc091157 said:  So what you are saying is that all of a sudden a bunch of users got the same corruption in their files all at once and it created a password? Not likely.
    yup - not a bunch, maybe a handful -
    Quicken is a fragile complex software program - and things break when the right set of conditions cause the program to rewrite something in error into the QDF file - and from that point - it is corrupted... 
    Sometimes it is related to Quicken Cloud and Sync to Mobile App or Quicken on the Web - and a variety of scenarios.
    So... I think we are done here - and as suggested -
    you should take this up with official Quicken Support .

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • xtc091157
    xtc091157 Member ✭✭
    edited July 16
    Yes we are done here. [removed - violation of community guidelines]
This discussion has been closed.