Downloads wipe out categories, "Reconcile" wrongly

I've been using Quicken since 1999, and I truly loathe the changes they have made.

For 20 years, I've been manually inputting my transactions because I've heard so many bad things about downloading. I'm now at a point where I need to save the time, so I set up my credit cards to download the transactions.

TWICE now, downloading Chase credit cards WIPES OUT ALL OF THE CATEGORY INFORMATION FOR PREVIOUS TRANSACTIONS!

I lost a full year of categories. I'm going to have to do this all manually. AGAIN.

Then, Quicken "reconciles" the account. The statement hasn't closed, and I didn't choose "reconcile." I just want to download the transactions. Why is Quicken doing this?

[removed - disruptive/unhelpful] I'm resorting to tracking what's due in EXCEL. I don't have to pay Quicken for that.

Can someone please help me fix this?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I lost a full year of categories. I'm going to have to do this all manually. AGAIN."
    This isn't relevant to your main point but you should have Quicken set up to automatically make a backup of the file each time you close Quicken and then ask you to "manually" backup your file (at a different location) after "X" number of closings.  Unless you've completely disabled backups you should have a backup file - hopefully made immediately prior to the download you're referring to - such that you don't have to try and reconstruct a year's worth of transactions.
    As to your main issue... how is the Chase credit card setup for downloading?  If it's Express Web Connect then switching, if you can, to Direct Connect may alleviate the problem as it's just more reliable and EWC seems to have been the culprit in other cases where downloads seem to hose the Quicken file.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Regarding Direct Connect (DC):  Yes, it is a more reliable and more trouble-free connection method than Express Web Connect (EWC).  But if you do want to switch to DC you should be aware that not all Financial Institutions (FI) offer DC support.  Of those that do, some will offer it for free while others will charge you a monthly fee.  And some FIs will require you to register for it and set up a unique UserID and/or PW for it.  Be sure to check with your FI to understand what the FI supports and what requirements they have for it.
    More specific to the issues you have encountered:
    CATEGORIES DELETED:  Please review your register, again.  Make sure your register is sorted by date by clicking on the Date column header.
    Is it really that ALL previously entered transactions have had the categories deleted? 
    Or it is that you now have duplicate transactions in your register with one copy of each transaction having a category and the other copy of each transaction having no category? 
    If it is that all categories have been deleted that would be an indication that the account set up was somehow corrupted and you might want to seriously consider restoring a recent back up file (before setting up the account for downloads) to try again.
    If it is that you have duplicate entries, the transactions with the categories will be your original manually entered transactions and the transactions with no categories being the duplicate transactions that were downloaded.  Hopefully it is this situation. 
    Usually when duplicates download during Online Services setup you will get a maximum of 3 months of duplicates but since the FI determines how far back it will download transactions it could go back more than 3 months or it might be less than 3 months.  These duplicates will need to be manually deleted. 
    FYI, this duplicate transactions issue is a 1X occurrence that sometimes happens during Online Services setup.  It's because Quicken does not have a previous download history memorized for the account and so it thinks the downloaded transactions are for a new account.  Now that your file has a download history for your account(s) this should not happen, again.
    RECONCILIATION:  I suspect that Quicken auto reconciled you accounts because your account is set up to do that.  To stop it from auto reconciling in the future go to the Online Services tab of Account Details and uncheck the box for Reconcile using online balance and then click OK.

Let us know if this helps you or if you have any questions.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.24 on Windows 10)