Quicken Bill manager

Quicken Bill Manager not updating some bills. There is no problem in logging into the biller's web page, but Quicken does not record the new bill amount.

Start here Allstate and Verizon. These bills haven't downloaded in months. I have to in some cases refresh each bill and once in a while I will get the bill.

This really has never worked correctly so I think its time Quicken works on this issue. Many of us have gone to non paper bills and now rely on emails from the biller.

Please put some effort into resolving these issues.

Quicken R34.20
Win 10 Pro latest

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think one has to understand how this system works (or fails to work) to realize that in most cases Quicken Inc is pretty powerless to fix such problems.

Quicken Inc doesn't fetch this information from the biller's sites.  They pay a third party to do it.  So basically you are a customer of a customer of a business that is trying to log into non standardized biller sites and get this information.

The Online Bill presentment part of this has been in place since Quicken 2015.  I tried using it for years and basically I had some bills that always worked, a few that worked "sometimes", and others that never worked.  I gave up on this system years go.

So basically the only "process" here would be to report the problem to Quicken Support and hope they will report it to the third party service, and hope they will do something about it.
    Contact Quicken Support

Note that there is a small chance that there is in fact a problem with Quicken (the program), but the chance on proving that would be if Quicken Support collects your logs and actually gets someone to look at them and determine it is a Quicken problem.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Robert Ralyea
    Robert Ralyea Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. What I use is a site call Prism which pulls down my bills well before I get an email from the biller. I seems to be Quicken should be able to do this also.
  • gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. What I use is a site call Prism which pulls down my bills well before I get an email from the biller. I seems to be Quicken should be able to do this also.
    I could be wrong, but I believe the site you mentioned is who Quicken is currently using for the mechanism @Chris_QPW mentioned above. 
    It would be interesting to see if you are receiving different info from one or the other. Might give a clue to the possibility of something in your Quicken file being corrupt, or just a vendor problem. 
    Quicken since Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money" V-12 (DOS)
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Core i7 
    Quicken Premier Subscription
  • Robert Ralyea
    Robert Ralyea Member ✭✭
    I don't know who owns the site PRISM but it works perfectly.
  • gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know who owns the site PRISM but it works perfectly.
    Actually, one of my credit card billers will only display the minimum payment due in both Quicken and this alternate source. However, the minimum payment and full balance due I can retrieve within my checking account where I actually pay my bills (BillPay) and an additional account I have at the previous owner of Quicken. That implies that Quicken uses your alternate source (vendor) to me.  I use these alternate sites as a problem solving option to try and see where any problem may lie. FWIW,
    Regardless, as Chris stated, the Bills & Income/Bill Manager section of this software is at best "iffy"

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    A long time ago in a beta it was mentioned what third party they are using, but I have long since forgotten the name.  I can tell you it isn't PRISM.  Unfortunately this is the kind of information (the company name) that Quicken Inc refuses to publish so we may never know.

But I consider this right up the same alley as Express Web Connect.
    Again trying to get information from websites without any kind of standard.  At most an "agreement" which changes from one financial institution to another on how that data should be fetched with how to log in changing all the time, let alone changing of the where data is and such.

And true to the nature you will get statements like well Mint or XXX service works just fine for my financial institution, but Quicken/Intuit doesn't.  I have used a few of these kinds of services and I can tell you that none of them are perfect at it.  It really comes down to each do it a bit different and as such they tend to fail on different financial institutions.  As in, no one reports on all the ones that work fine, they complain about the the ones the don't.  So it isn't proof at all that one is better than the other unless you look at overall percentage of failures not that XXX works on YYY service, but not on ZZZ service.

I also personally feel that there are bugs in Quicken's Bill Manager system, that are layered on top of the third part kind of problems, but separating them out as a user is next to impossible.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW from my perspective on this statement and this functionality:
    Please put some effort into resolving these issues.
    Understanding that the system is basically built on a flaky foundation (unstandardized websites).
    And that the functionality for Online Bill Presentment was first introduced in Quicken 2015, and then later in what I guess a year or so ago added Bill Payment from the same service/service provider.  And in all that time I have never seen the system work "perfectly" it and that the way to get something "fixed" is to complain to Quicken Support that then maybe complains to the third party.  Well let me just say I don't expect much at this point.
    Signature:
  • gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well said Chris