Split Categories

My questions pertains to split categories. I've noticed that while viewing the main screen of an account it will show "--Split--" for any transaction I've split.

1) Within the split window I've listed specific, different categories for the list that comprises that one transaction so will those individual amounts be shown in that category I assign it to?

2) I have two split transactions (both are deposits) and yet, on the Home screen, it shows I have just 1 transaction that I don't have a category assigned to and it's one of the two Split transactions I have. Why?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    You don't "splitting categories", you split transactions.

Example you go to the store and buy bread and some glue.  The bread is $2 and the glue is $1.  When you download the transaction it has a payee of Safeway with an amount of $3.  You want the $2 bread to go to the category Groceries and $1 go to the category Household.  You select to split the transactions an on the first line you put in the category Groceries and change the amount to $2.  Then you get a second line of $1 and you change its category to Household.

If you pull up a report or look at the transaction in the register you see a single transaction with the "split" in it (in some reports you can select to show the details of that split, like when printing the register).

If you pull up a report that is showing you the categories, then the Groceries category will have the $2 including in the total.  And the Household category total will have the $1 included in it.

EDIT I see I didn't address the original #2 question.

I'm not exactly following how you got to where what you have described.  If you split a transaction you end up with still one transaction, but with two amounts in two different categories.

You shouldn't end up with two transactions.  Maybe if you post a screenshot of what is going on, it might help to see what the problem is.

You can drag and drop an image in the comment box to attach it to the comment.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JayW
    JayW Member ✭✭
    I run mac and frankly what you suggest doesn't seem to work. If I run a Transaction report by specific category, the report does not list any of the entries for the specific category if it is in a split transaction.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    JayW said:
    I run mac and frankly what you suggest doesn't seem to work. If I run a Transaction report by specific category, the report does not list any of the entries for the specific category if it is in a split transaction.
    This question is in a Windows forum category and as such might not apply to Quicken Mac.

You should post your question in a Quicken Mac category with as much details as possible (Click the Ask a question button).
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/