Capital One 360 keeps asking me to authorize account

Answers

• spenmay1943
    spenmay1943 Member ✭✭
    I deactivated and reactivated the Capital 360 account just now, and it appears to be working correctly. Another member suggested this approach and it did solve the problem for today. I only have one account so I don't know if it will be successful with multiple accounts.
  • rainman09
    rainman09 Member ✭✭
    > @rainman09 said:
    > Deactivated two Capital One credit cards, restarted Quicken. Removed Quicken from linked apps on the Capital One website. Tried to activate and reauthorize accounts (again) and I get back to a login window. CC-501 Error message "We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are unable to connect to the Quicken servers at this time."
    > Definitely a system issue. Probably a bug with all the great subscription updates.

Update: Yesterday I performed a manual download of Capital One's qfx file - accounts were recognized and I was able to link back to my existing accounts. Updates were successful. Today, I thought I'd give the "Your financial institution supports an improved connection method," a try. Lo and behold, it now works. I hope it does for you!
  • petegkc
    petegkc Member ✭✭
    I deactivated\reactivated and it worked but I have since had to do a "Reset account" a couple of times. Still on a new file I do not get an Online Balance from CapOne but I do on my old still kinda broken file.
  • UPDATE from my report yesterday: Suddenly, it appears all is well even for my 3 Cap1 360 bank accounts.
  • PatrickB
    PatrickB Member
    edited October 2021
    I'm having the same problems when I try to do a One Step Update. I have one Capital One credit card account that I've been downloading for years. I get the "you need to reauthorize" button and when I do, it says "Reauthorization unsuccessful" You have signed in to Capital One Card Services successfully, but the following account was not found" and then it lists the credit card.
    I have not tried the deactivate / reactivate yet.
    Nor have I tried the manual download of Capital One's QFX file yet.
    [Removed-Disruptive]
  • MSVA
    MSVA Member ✭✭
    I've been having the same problem for several days. I can update 3 of 5 Capital One accounts. The other two aren't recognized. Reached out yesterday to Quicken through their "report problem" link. No response.
  • I deactivated all my accounts from the online update and then setup again and that seems to have fixed the issue. I had the same issue and needed to resolve the same way for 5/3 Bank.
  • petegkc
    petegkc Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    My file is completely hosed. It will not update transactions properly. If I start a new file everything works except I cannot get an Online Balance on any of my CapOne accounts. It just shows a blank white space. Doesn't even have the words "Online Balance" but it downloads transactions properly. I've uninstalled\reinstalled Quicken, done all the reactivations, etc. Every time I turn around I have to reactive my CapOne accounts.[Removed-Disruptive]
  • aboxbaum
    aboxbaum Member
    So now they post that you have to deauthorize and re-authorize AND THAT DOES NOT WORK EITHER!
    Even the logon screen they show of how this is suppossed to work does not even match.
  • aboxbaum
    aboxbaum Member
    I just went back to going to the cap one web side and doing a manual download. Seems like our technology has moved back 10 years
  • law1
    law1 Member ✭✭
    This issue is a real mess. I have reauthorized my Capital One account (multiple times), received tons of emails from Capital One saying I have done so, and I still have issues. I believe it is something in Quicken's One step update. I get the same message when I try to individually update a NON- Capital One account. This has been going on for a couple of weeks. I have even created a new Captial One account and deactivated the old one. Nothing seems to work.

Help!
  • jswafa
    jswafa Member ✭✭✭
    rainman09 said:
    > @rainman09 said:
    > Deactivated two Capital One credit cards, restarted Quicken. Removed Quicken from linked apps on the Capital One website. Tried to activate and reauthorize accounts (again) and I get back to a login window. CC-501 Error message "We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are unable to connect to the Quicken servers at this time."
    > Definitely a system issue. Probably a bug with all the great subscription updates.

Update: Yesterday I performed a manual download of Capital One's qfx file - accounts were recognized and I was able to link back to my existing accounts. Updates were successful. Today, I thought I'd give the "Your financial institution supports an improved connection method," a try. Lo and behold, it now works. I hope it does for you!
    This worked for me too - except after doing the manual download and link, I needed to restart Quicken.  After that I was able to follow the "improved connection" steps.
  • jkotapish
    jkotapish Member ✭✭

This worked for me too - except after doing the manual download and link, I needed to restart Quicken. After that I was able to follow the "improved connection" steps.

So... where did you come across the: "Your financial institution supports an improved connection method,"...? I did manual download, and also tried the validate file trick, but still striking out. I was hopeful that after restarting Quicken, and signing in to capitalize that I would get the improved connection message, but nothing...
  • ajkessel
    ajkessel Member ✭✭
    Deactivating and reactivating my accounts worked for my Capital One bank accounts; however, for my Capital One credit card, deactivating/reactivating only allows us to sync once. Then the next time I go to sync, it prompts me to reauthorize the account again. I've tried deactivating/reactivating multiple times with no different result.
  • patrick@
    [email protected] Member
    edited October 2021
    I *used* to have Capital One accounts, they have been closed for months already. And now, every single time I use Quicken and do a One Step Update, it asks me to log in to Capital One 5 times (since I used to have 5 accounts with them). Which of course I can't do since these accounts are closed. I can't even reauthorize since Quicken also shows the accounts as closed. [Removed-Disruptive/Speculation]
  • petegkc
    petegkc Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    So this morning was complete weirdness. I went to download transactions and nothing updated. I went to a different Quicken file I made and when it updated it renamed all my CapOne accounts back to what they were when you first set them up. But no transaction. Go back to my original Quicken file and notice the Online Balance and Ending Balance in my checking accounts had swapped. My brand new Quicken file will not even get an Online Balance. I just deactivated the online setup for my checking. [Removed-Disruptive] I also notice I am having to close and reopen Quicken a lot because things like going from Bills to Projected Balances freaks out.
  • law1
    law1 Member ✭✭
    Update: After removing all accounts from the One step update, I manually updated my Capital One account. I have gone back and added accounts to the One step update and all appears to be working now. No more messages about Capital One accounts. Apparently it was a bug in update because I was receiving the Capital One message even when I tried to update other accounts individually.

Hopefully it is resolved now.
  • JKeemle
    JKeemle Member
    I have the same error. I tried all the troubleshooting, including deactivating, and now I can't reactivate. This has been a problem for a few weeks now, and I'm running Quicken Deluxe on Windows 10 R36.23.
  • I've tried everything listed above numerous times in every imaginable configuration and still no luck. When will this be fixed?
  • Frank5
    Frank5 Member ✭✭✭
    Same problem, tried everything outlined here but to no avail.  Seems that we will have to wait for Quicken to acknowledge/ fix this.
  • Tim Avery
    Tim Avery Member ✭✭
    I ran into this problem today and thought I would share what worked for me.

First the TL;DR version:

1) Edit the account
    2) Go to Online Services tab and Deactivate
    3) Go to the General tab and remove the values from "Financial Institution" and "Account Number" fields.
    4) Save the account.
    5) Edit the account again
    6) Go to Online Services and choose Set up now...

This time it worked, allowing me to link to my existing account in Quicken. If you have multiple Capital One accounts, my guess is that you need to repeat steps 1-4 for ALL your accounts before proceeding to step 5 on any one of them, and re-linking everything.

-----

One thing I noticed: when I was reauthorizing, Capital One gave me an additional checkbox to "Share account number and routing number" or something to that effect. I naturally chose this, because, why wouldn't I? But Quicken was only storing the last 4 digits in the account number field, and I suspect (but can't prove) that's what was throwing off the re-authorization process. (Interestingly, even now after my successful re-linking with that option selected, Quicken is still only showing the last 4 digits in the account number field.)

Another thing: I originally tried the "Reset Account" option -- as opposed to deactivate and reactive, because that's what I thought "Reset" was -- but it did not work. In fact it made it worse, it actually created a duplicate acccount with just the past 90 days transactions. I had to delete that duplicate account and try again with the correct account.
  • Tim's fix above worked for me. However, I suspect if you have more than one active Capital account that if you deactivate and remove the values from each account as described there would be no need to re-do the set-up for each account. When setting up, all active accounts are pulled in and you are given the option to link to existing accounts in Quicken.
    Thanks Tim!
  • JWin
    JWin Member ✭✭
    The above does NOT work for me. After deactivating, even validating, I go back into Quicken Premier and "Set Up Now..." I choose Capital One Card Services (worked before, and chose other Capital One options with same result). I get a Add Account box stating that "Capital One - Credit Cards (Monthly Statements) requires you to authorize your accounts."

I click on the Next button where I get another box where I click on the Sign In button. An Add Account dialog box pops up (where it already has a red Oops... CC-501 error message towards the top) where I enter my User ID and password and click on the Connect button. The "Looking for your accounts..." box pops up and then "authorize" box with the Next button pops up again!

The "Looking" box is still underneath it with a spinning circle. If I click on the Next button, it takes me through the login dialogs again. It's caught in some type of loop. If I 'x' out of that box, the "Looking" box errors out and takes me back to the login box. Waiting a long time does nothing.

I've been using Quicken since the DOS days and I'm very technical. There's definitely an issue that's causing the loop I've been experiencing. This is a Capital One Walmart credit card I'm having problems with. My other Capital One credit card, under a different account, and some savings accounts, are still working with Quicken.
  • copertjc
    copertjc Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately nothing has worked for me and I'll tried every potential solution in this thread, including deactivating, clearing account and bank info, waiting 48 hours, etc. This is is impacting ALL of my account updates that utilize "Web Connect", but all accounts utilizing "Direct Connect" seemingly work just fine. I hesitate to deactivate the "Direct Connect" accounts as well to see if that changes anything since four (direct connect) of my eight total accounts are actually working, and I don't want to lose downloads of all eight!
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All,

Thank you for confirming if the steps to deactivate and reactivate the accounts either resolved or failed to resolve this issue for you.

For those who continue to receive a prompt to reauthorize their accounts, a CC-501, CC-901 or an "Account Not Found" error, we have escalated this matter to our service providers for further investigation.

For more information and to automatically receive updates and/or a resolution for this ongoing issue, as they become available, please visit and bookmark the alert found here.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • jswafa
    jswafa Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks Sarah!  As always, it's good to know that you're involved in troubleshooting these issues.
  • kennethhlee
    kennethhlee Member ✭✭
    I've tried every possible solution listed so far. I also performed a manual download from the website. but when I attempted to go down the path of "Your financial institution supports an improved connection method," I end up in the endless loop of 501 errors
  • petegkc
    petegkc Member ✭✭
    Things were working "okay" and now CC-501 out of nowhere.....
  • PatrickB
    PatrickB Member
    *UPDATE*
    I did the deactivate / reactivate and it DID work for me.

Here's what I did:
    1. deactivate the Capital One CC download.
    2. shutdown Quicken
    3. I went into Capital One and de-authorized the Quicken vendor.
    4. re-activated the Capital One CC download.

Step #3 above is not a step I've heard / read here before.

This is what worked for me.

YMMV,
    Patrick
  • petegkc
    petegkc Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    So I had to re-add my CapOne accounts except my credit card. All the Online balances are gone now. [Removed-Disruptive]
This discussion has been closed.