Discrepancy between investment account balance and the transactions in a report

Let's say that I have exactly $1,000.00 in an investment account that holds just one or two kinds of shares.

The investment service's website agrees that the current market value is exactly $1,000.00, and that's the figure that Quicken calculates in my account register.

However, if I run a transaction report listing all transactions (including unrealized gains) from the account for all time, the balance turns out to be $999.98.

In other words, the transaction report is two cents short.

The same discrepancy appears if I look at my net worth according to the sum of my accounts and compare it with my net worth if I run a "categories itemized" report that lists all transactions (including unrealized gains). If my accounts say that my net worth is $2,000.00, the "categories itemized" report says that my net worth is $1,999.98.

I can even identify the days where this discrepancy between account balance and report balance appears. If I go through the transaction report's unrealized gains for each day, day by day, I can find that some of them are one cent off from what the Quicken account register calculates as that day's gain or loss.

This discrepancy first appeared today right after a crash.

I've tried importing my most recent backups (created from within Quicken), but those backup files aren't working.

Frankly, I see this as two bugs in Quicken: one with reports and one with backup files.

It's annoying, but I'm resigned to living with this until Quicken fixes the problem.

Still, I'd be curious if anyone else has any ideas.

I'm running Windows Quicken Deluxe, version R34.24, build 27.1.34.24 on Windows 10 Enterprise.

Thank you.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    IMO, this is a long standing issue, at least with the Networth report.  Try running it for different intervals and look at the "today" column at the far right, it will be different from report to report and may or may not agree with the amounts shown in the Account Bar.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well I spot checked a my accounts and I'm not seeing any difference in the net worth report, but I do see it in the investment transactions report.  I actually do expect it in the investment report.

In this screenshot I'm using the Portfolio view as a stand in for the investment account register (which doesn't have a running balance, and I only wanted to do part of the register to see where it goes off).

So why do I expect it in the investment transaction report?
    If you look at how the investment register/portfolio view and it looks like the net worth report do this calculation its simply number of shares, times price, plus cash.

If you look at the investment transaction report it has a much harder job.  It is calculating the value of the securities for every day it has a price.  That is ton of calculations, and each one has a potential for a rounding error because of the price going out to that many digits (and may even be "corrected" over time).  Those rounding errors can add up.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Thank you all for your comments and time.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It was pointed out to me that if you change the date ranges for the net worth report you will see the problems that @splasher mentioned.  I didn't try to any "interval" reports like that.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. from the person that mentioned the above:

I should have added that Customizing the Net Worth report NOT to "Include unrealized gains" eliminates the error.

I believe this tends to confirm what you said:

"If you look at the investment transaction report it has a much harder job.
    It is calculating the value of the securities for every day it has a price.
    That is ton of calculations, and each one has a potential for a rounding error because of the price going out to that many digits (and may even be 'corrected' over time)"

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.